SVX Shop Search
IRC users:

Go Back   The Subaru SVX World Network > SVX Main Forums > Technical Q & A
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-02-2003, 03:10 PM
Just some dude.

Significant Technical Input
Supercharging

I've been researching supercharging my svx and am going to do it pretty soon. Has anyone else done it? In case anyone who hasn't done it but would like to has been thinking it's not doable. I've talked to a lot of custom shops recomended by vortech and the general consensus is it's fine even with the 10.5:1 just don't run more than 6 to 8 pounds boost. I'm planning on putting a vortech in and running it at anywhere from 6 to 8 depending on how things look on the dyno.
Old 05-02-2003, 06:39 PM
Not as old as Randy

You may want to check into these, they are the most quiet (no whining) out there:

http://www.powerdyne.com/
Old 05-02-2003, 08:44 PM
Making tires round, Six now :)

This sounds a lot better than a turbo. Easier any way but not as efficient. Where does the super charger go? Got a picture of the SVX with one?
Old 05-02-2003, 09:17 PM
Yeah, I'm still around

Gp take a look at the thread

in Mod Mania titled "Sc". It's a lengthy discussion on supercharging.

Todd
Old 05-02-2003, 09:27 PM
Just some dude.

Quote:
Originally posted by Beav
You may want to check into these, they are the most quiet (no whining) out there:

http://www.powerdyne.com/
Thanks Beav but not quite reliable enough for me. The powerdines are internally belt driven and don't last nearly as well as vortech's do. I'd only resort to one if i was mounting it below the oil pan. I'm planning on relocating the battery and putting a vortech up there run off an existing accessory belt.
Old 05-03-2003, 07:07 PM
Porter

We have researched doing a centrifugal supercharger for the SVX for some time now... the issue is not how much boost to run, etc... it's how to mount it. Relocating the battery to the trunk gives you a convenient spot to mount the supercharger in (bolted to the engine), but due to the radiator hose and fan shroud there's no good way to run a belt through there. All the other areas in the engine bay are full of systems that are not easily moved, i.e. the ABS pump, etc. It's an irritatingly difficult problem.

By the way, we (DNT Performance) are a forced induction research shop. Here's an older pic of our kit in prototype form on the 2.5RS. At 7psi you can burn all four tires at will in 1st or 2nd gear. The unit is a Rotrex, we are one of the very few North American dealers. The unit is driven through an internal set of 9:1 reduction gears and has its own integral oil pump with a remote reservoir. The car in the picture belongs to my business partner Kent, until recently it was his daily driver...

http://webpages.charter.net/drifter/...or/running.jpg
http://webpages.charter.net/drifter/...reequarter.jpg

Please let us know if you'd like any help with your project, keep us posted on your progress! The more quick SVXes out there, the better.

Last edited by Porter; 05-03-2003 at 07:10 PM.
Old 05-04-2003, 11:56 AM

Send a message via AIM to want-a-fast-svx
man that would look so nice in the engine bay of the svx....
Old 05-08-2003, 07:34 PM
Just some dude.

Quote:
Originally posted by Porter
We have researched doing a centrifugal supercharger for the SVX for some time now... the issue is not how much boost to run, etc... it's how to mount it. Relocating the battery to the trunk gives you a convenient spot to mount the supercharger in (bolted to the engine), but due to the radiator hose and fan shroud there's no good way to run a belt through there. All the other areas in the engine bay are full of systems that are not easily moved, i.e. the ABS pump, etc. It's an irritatingly difficult problem.

Please let us know if you'd like any help with your project, keep us posted on your progress! The more quick SVXes out there, the better.
Eh, just means more pulleys. the only hose over there is the ac can always move that around a bit. The bracket is probably going to come out very funky in order to accomodate idlers where they will be needed. Might also have to basically create a double pulley add an accessory belt rather than use one that's there...looks like there is difficulting clearing the timing belt cover. I hate that timing belt cover...just cost me a few hundred to replace the whole thing cause the previous owner over torqued the bolts holding it together
Old 05-08-2003, 08:38 PM
Porter

Quote:
Originally posted by longassname

Eh, just means more pulleys. the only hose over there is the ac can always move that around a bit. The bracket is probably going to come out very funky in order to accomodate idlers where they will be needed. Might also have to basically create a double pulley add an accessory belt rather than use one that's there...looks like there is difficulting clearing the timing belt cover. I hate that timing belt cover...just cost me a few hundred to replace the whole thing cause the previous owner over torqued the bolts holding it together
Exactly. We looked at it and realized that unless we could make it a VERY easy bolt in solution, there was essentially no market for it.

We could certainly do a one-off for somebody who wants a custom system, but it makes zero sense to spend time working on a system for which there is little to no market.
Old 05-09-2003, 11:44 AM
Just some dude.

Quote:

Exactly. We looked at it and realized that unless we could make it a VERY easy bolt in solution, there was essentially no market for it.

We could certainly do a one-off for somebody who wants a custom system, but it makes zero sense to spend time working on a system for which there is little to no market.
I hear ya. Much easier to get svx guys to buy jdm lights than make their cars 350 hp. I have a need for speed though and the ability to get what i need fabricated here without having to pay the big bucks a custom shop would want for doing it. I almost bought a vortech a week or so ago but i just can't get into the project right now. It's going to have to get put on the shelf for a lil while. It's too damn hot down here right now too.

I do have another question to post. I've been thinking about this. I'm going to need to find a 4 wheel drive dino to run on while I do my fuel tuning, or does the jumper to force 2 wheel drive mode actually work 100% with no power going to the rear wheels? What did you guys do for the subaru you supercharged?
Old 05-09-2003, 06:16 PM
Porter

I believe Mastro now has an operating 4 wheel dyno.

Knowledge Performance in Atlanta has one too, a Dynojet. They're the closest one to us here in SC, but you should check out the one at Mastro in Tampa.

The manual transmission cars don't have the 2wd mode so they have to be tuned either on a chassis or engine dyno, or by tuning directly using a very good wideband A/F meter and a good datalogging system.

Last edited by Porter; 05-09-2003 at 06:19 PM.
Old 05-09-2003, 10:29 PM
Just some dude.

Quote:
I believe Mastro now has an operating 4 wheel dyno.

Knowledge Performance in Atlanta has one too, a Dynojet. They're the closest one to us here in SC, but you should check out the one at Mastro in Tampa.

The manual transmission cars don't have the 2wd mode so they have to be tuned either on a chassis or engine dyno, or by tuning directly using a very good wideband A/F meter and a good datalogging system.
If you read this again do me a favor and pm me the contact info for mastro.

Thanks
Old 05-10-2003, 02:33 AM
Jersey Girl
Alcyone Gold Contributor

Send a message via Skype™ to svxistentialist
Registered SVX
Keep us posted on progress Michael.

The install that Porter did on a 2.5 RS would work on mine. My car is JDM spec, and does not have antilock brakes, so I have a convenient space on that wing to fit a blower.

What is a more interesting problem is where will the intercooler rad go?

Good luck with the work.

Joe
White X2 RVR Mitsubishi 1800GDI. Vantastic

40,000 miles Jersey Girl
Old 05-10-2003, 05:56 AM
Porter

Quote:
Originally posted by svxistentialist

The install that Porter did on a 2.5 RS would work on mine. My car is JDM spec, and does not have antilock brakes, so I have a convenient space on that wing to fit a blower.

Good luck with the work.

Joe
No intercooler necessary at 6psi... the unit is so thermally efficient it doesn't require one at that boost level. Stage "II" would be at the 10psi level and would require one.
Old 05-10-2003, 10:49 AM
Just some dude.

Quote:
Originally posted by svxistentialist

Good luck with the work.

Joe
An intercooled ati procharger would be nice but don't see those on ebay for $600 to $800 everyday like you do the vortech's. It's going to be a couple of months before i get to this...who knows maybe one will show up for cheap by then.