How-To Documents
Message Archive
SVX Shop Search
IRC users:

Go Back   The Subaru SVX World Network > SVX Main Forums > Technical Q & A

Old 05-08-2003, 01:41 PM
tangwichjustin

cv joint going out

Ok I know there are like a million messages on this but I got a slightly different angle on this problem. My front left cvjoint is going out I think since I can hear a quiet clicking coming from the car which changes speed increasing when I go faster and slows when I come to a stop (making no noise at full stop) I know its not the wheels center caps since I am not using the standard svx rims anymore. I just had my trannie rebuilt about 2,500 miles ago. Knowing its prob cv joints.. and that I can't afford to get them fixed right now what kind of problems could running on them for too long cause? Thanks
Old 05-08-2003, 02:07 PM
Meow!

Send a message via ICQ to Earthworm Send a message via AIM to Earthworm Send a message via MSN to Earthworm Send a message via Yahoo to Earthworm Send a message via Skype™ to Earthworm
Actually, bad CV joints will usually only make clicking noises while turning. Hopefully it's not the differential!
Old 05-08-2003, 02:34 PM
tangwichjustin

God I hope not. Since I just had the transmission rebuilt shouldn't this have been found? If that really is the problem I think I might have to drive the car till its dead then. Any ideas how long the car can last with a front differential issue and what other damage could be caused by driving on it other than the front diff fully dying?
Old 05-08-2003, 04:15 PM
Meow!

Send a message via ICQ to Earthworm Send a message via AIM to Earthworm Send a message via MSN to Earthworm Send a message via Yahoo to Earthworm Send a message via Skype™ to Earthworm
I've never had a bad diff but I have recently replaced both front axles due to the clicking noises around corners.

Someone else here is going to have to give you a better answer.
Old 05-08-2003, 04:26 PM
tangwichjustin

I think I'll just turn my radio up higher
Old 05-08-2003, 06:46 PM

How quiet is quiet? Mine have been clicking for as long as I've had it, but it is only audible with windows closed, radio off, climate control off, low throttle and speeds up to 30mph on smooth pavement.
The good news - the clicking did not get noticeably worse in the last 60k miles...
Old 05-08-2003, 07:42 PM
Invisible avatar
Alcyone Gold Contributor

Send a message via AIM to Ron Mummert Send a message via Yahoo to Ron Mummert
Smile

I had an '87 Chrysler that clicked its CVs for the entire 7 years that I had it. The noise actually stopped at around 230K miles, & the wheels were still on the car when I sold it.

Your CVs may vary.

Ron.

'92 stock semi-pristine ebony - 160K
'96 Grand Caravan - 240K
'01 Miata SE - 79K
'07 Chrysler Pacifica - 60k - future money pit.
Old 05-08-2003, 09:14 PM
tangwichjustin

Yeah its really really quiet.. as in I have to turn everything off.. do some yoga.. coast and maybe just maybe I can hear it over my tire and engine noise. But I know clicking is the first sign of something bad going down so the fact I heard any click had me freaked a little especially having a trannie rebuild recently costing 3,700 (I know should have went with a manual) next time the trannie goes I'm going 5 speed all the way. Thanks for all the info.. this community rocks.
Old 05-09-2003, 04:18 PM
Thread Killah
Alcyone Gold Contributor

Registered SVX
A bad inner CV joint (not actually a cvj, I think an ftj on svxs a doj on most other subys) will make a clicking noise straight line.
92 Ebony LS-L ECUtune Stage2av1, Z32 MAF, 370cc injectors, TomsSVX intake, BontragerWorks 22mm RSB #003, HID Hi and Lo beams, OT endlink and bushing mods, PWR Aluminum radiator, Harvey's QC shift kit, 2.5" flowmaster 80 exhaust, 17" Michelin Pilot Sport A/S, Poly sway bar bushings, Slotted Bradi rotors, AFBeefcake powdercoated calipers, 97 grill, and a huge set of air horns. 300,000 miles and counting
92 Ebony LS-L. ecutune stage1v4, motorsport 1pc pulley. Garage Queen - sold to Dad in upstate NY 155,000 miles
19 Subaru Ascent Premium - -Hers !.
89 DL 4x4 little red wagon - a.k.a. The immortal suby. 275k R.I.P.