Photo Post
How-To Documents
Message Archive
SVX Shop Search
IRC users:

Go Back   The Subaru SVX World Network > SVX Main Forums > Technical Q & A

Old 05-03-2003, 07:51 PM

Simple seal question

I am in the middle of replacing my rear wheel bearings. When I went to Subaru to press the bearing in, they left off the inside seal. So I tried both sides and the side with the spring around the lip towards the diff. fit like a glove, so I put it on. But when I took the other wheel off and looked it was done with the spring towards the wheel. So I tried to tap it like that and it just doesn't fit well. So my simple question is which way do I put in the inner seal?

Thanks Blue
Old 05-04-2003, 11:22 AM

Okay this may be a little easier to understand.
Attached Files
File Type: doc cv axle.doc (19.0 KB, 87 views)
Old 05-04-2003, 01:58 PM

The spring side (by which I assume you mean the side that has a coiled spring in a circle around a lip in the seal) normally goes on the interior side of whatever is being sealed. That leaves a metal face used to tap the seal into it's proper position.

That means the spring side would face the bearing for both seals, inner and outer.

One caution: are these Subaru parts? I bought aftermarket seals once and it turns out they were the wrong seal - and places keep on with this bad info - I tried telling the parts place I got mine from but they seem to put their trust in a catalog more than me (can't blame them all that much). The incorrect numbers are the BCA/National parts, i.e., 4899 and 225-673 (you can still see them listed at carparts.com for example).

Last edited by lee; 05-04-2003 at 02:03 PM.
Old 05-04-2003, 02:03 PM

Thanks for your reply I am getting a little desperate. The only thing is that the side that has the spring is the side that has a nice metal portion to hammer it in. Which would mean that if I tapped the seal in by hitting the exposed metal the spring would face away from the bearing and towards the dif.

Blue
Old 05-04-2003, 02:10 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Blue94
Thanks for your reply I am getting a little desperate. The only thing is that the side that has the spring is the side that has a nice metal portion to hammer it in. Which would mean that if I tapped the seal in by hitting the exposed metal the spring would face away from the bearing and towards the dif.

Blue
Well, I've certainly not seen every bearing application, but I've never seen a seal that was put in without the metal shoulder (so you can tap it) being anywhere but facing out of whatever it was to be put into.

The seals for the rear hub of the SVX are tapped into the hub, not put on the axle. I don't remember the spring part when I did my rear bearings, but I can assure you that the metal shoulder went on facing out on the hub for my car (for both inner and outer seals). I've put almost 15K miles on mine since then.

edit: Let me clarify: the metal shoulder would be toward the wheel for the outer seal, and the metal shoulder would be toward the diff for the inner seal, i.e., they kind of face each other.

Last edited by lee; 05-04-2003 at 02:12 PM.
Old 05-04-2003, 03:09 PM

Got it. It looks like somone tried this before on the other side and did it incorrectly. I think that I will buy a new seal just to be sure I didn't hurt my cuurent one and get a good fit.
Thanks alot

Blue