Go Back   The Subaru SVX World Network > SVX Main Forums > Technical Q & A
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 11-17-2007, 12:58 AM

See there Trevor,

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffast View Post
wait wait wait,
it routes the starter through the neutrial safty switch.
that suddenlt makes sense i may or may not have used to small a gauge of wire when wiring up my 5spd swap that could make sense.
Jeffast is understanding we!
The wire from the switch on the transmission goes directly to the starter.
the circuit wire should probably be 14 gage?
Best you keep track of that Bosch relay you picked up, Jeff. You are still going to need it!!

The reason: All the smart people are concerned with the wire in their starter circuit all the way from the ignition switch to the starter, right. Here is the problem. The battery power comes directly to the ignition switch. My voltmeter shows about 8 volts at the ignition switch at the wire that is the starter circuit.
The power lead from the battery to the switch shows 12 or a little more. Of course the car starts some of the time. With the volt meter checking the start wire, if the car starts the voltage is 12 ish. Of course it is! otherwise the starter would not run. Because the ignition switch gets the full 12 volts from the battery and only shows 8 volts out of the switch to send to the starter, with the starter wire connected, the wires from the ignition switch to the starter are not a involved in the equation... without the wire to the starter connected, turn the key to start and always get the same voltage as the battery. hook it back up and if it doesn.t start, the voltage has droped to about 8 volts.
I have a good idea what the problem is, but it is not the ignition switch and it is not the wiring.
Take care
Keith

Last edited by kwren; 11-17-2007 at 01:47 AM.