Photo Post
How-To Documents
Message Archive
SVX Shop Search
IRC users:

Go Back   The Subaru SVX World Network > SVX Main Forums > General SVX Babble
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 03-14-2024, 09:37 PM

Re: What have you done to your SVX (or other Subaru) today?

The story of keys and locks reminded me of a small change I made before.

I rarely put the key in the keyhole because I usually operate the door locks with a remote control, but the lighting for the key is so dim that it's almost useless.

So, I replaced the LED with a brighter one when doing other door-related work.

It's just kind of an accessory, but it's kind a cool.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg before.jpg (20.3 KB, 41 views)
File Type: jpg after.jpg (33.6 KB, 38 views)
Old 03-14-2024, 11:34 PM
15th time is a charm?

Registered SVX

Thank you for the information.

The key unfortunately did not come with the unit.

I'm aiming for functioning power locks, and disregarding the keyless aspect as something that's not worth chasing at this time.
Old 03-15-2024, 04:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike621 View Post
Thank you for the information.

The key unfortunately did not come with the unit.

I'm aiming for functioning power locks, and disregarding the keyless aspect as something that's not worth chasing at this time.
Admittedly, infrared keyless isn't worth that much. I agree with you.

It seems that the unit has a ROM and the number written on the key is recorded. As an electrical engineer, I'm simply interested in the way to do it, but I feel like modifying the numbers in the ROM if someone is having trouble with keyless unmatch.

That's for another time.
Old 03-15-2024, 12:49 PM
15th time is a charm?

Registered SVX

Quote:
Originally Posted by Noriyasu View Post
Admittedly, infrared keyless isn't worth that much. I agree with you.

It seems that the unit has a ROM and the number written on the key is recorded. As an electrical engineer, I'm simply interested in the way to do it, but I feel like modifying the numbers in the ROM if someone is having trouble with keyless unmatch.

That's for another time.
Is the IR key the version with a gray button? If so, then at least I have one IR key for my car.
Old 03-15-2024, 05:15 PM

Quote:
Is the IR key the version with a gray button? If so, then at least I have one IR key for my car.
I was looking for an image of the key and found an interesting website.
https://minkara.carview.co.jp/userid...blog/24374578/

It seems that key can program by program mode connecting R78 and R79 connector. And key is compatible with BH5 Legacy and Preo.

However, there are no such connector in wiring diagram for early model. this seems only for later model of SVX.

There are some shape of key in SUBARU and seems functionally same.

https://auctions.yahoo.co.jp/search/...%83%BC&x=0&y=0

I bought some used IR keys and registered them to my wife's R1 before.
Spare IR key can make from used IR key and new brank key.
(R1 is a very small 2+2 3 door car probably sold only in Japan.)

Once I look more closely wiring diagram for later model, R77 is connected to number 10 of the keyless unit, and R78 is connected to GND. There is no wiring for 10pin in the early model.

So, we will be able to add IR key when we replace the unit for later model. But, I believe that adding wireless radio key is better way. IR key will work only in very close in SVX.

For R1. it will work 5m-7m (about 20 feet). New type IR key may be better. But, the distance problem may be in receiver in the door handle. I'm not sure.
Old 03-16-2024, 09:36 PM

Hi,

FYI, I attached diagrams.

The wiring is roughly the same. Additional power is added on pin 12 and reprogramming wiring is added on pin 10.

The wiring for the receiver has been changed from 17 pins to 11 pins.

Perhaps the receiver power supply voltage or the signal voltage level is different.

I think it will work if you modify these wiring and replace the receiver and unit as a set.

BTY, removing 15pin may be disable auto-lock function at 20km/h. I'm interesting in this now.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf key_less_early.PDF (32.9 KB, 33 views)
File Type: pdf key_less_later.PDF (33.9 KB, 29 views)
Old 03-17-2024, 05:33 AM

Quote:
I did successfully replace the two flexible hoses between engine and transmission today.

I have not attempted to source the two longer hoses.

Which of the hoses are you unable to get, Noriyasu?
Sorry for late response. I went to SUBARU dealer today.

Parts no I could buy are follows. Others EGR hoses are discontinued.

I had also ordered bushings for the rear suspension. Most of the parts have been discontinued, but the following parts were still available for purchase.

20461AA002 bushings stabilizer end
20252PA000 bushings pillow ball
20251AA021 bushings C lateral link
20271PA010 bushings trailing link rear

FYI
Old 03-18-2024, 02:22 PM

Well, looks like a second power steering leak has sprung in my already failing power steering system. I could barely see in the pitch black last night but it looked like smoke and cooked ATF goo surrounding one of the fittings on the front passenger side where the P.S. lines meet w/ the radiator.

Things have been pretty grim as of late. Due to the return of my chronic illness and subsequent 0 cash flow I've been stuck daily driving the SVX since the summer despite it having at least one blown PS pump seal, a seemingly endless parasitic drain problem, and the dreaded VSS issue with no Speedometer/odo + CEL. Combine that with the massive panel rust holes from when I removed the lower door trim with plans to weld in a repair before my health started nosediving and the loss of my daily driver and I feel like I'm slowly killing the old girl despite how defiant of death it's clearly been for years of previous owner abuse. I rarely can go out these days so she maybe sees 5 miles of use a week, but I wish I could park her and do things right.

If anyone here is in the Pittsburgh area, I'm desperate enough to plea for a hand and fortunate to have a driveway and a half useable garage.
2004 Volvo S60 2.5T AWD, Ruby Red, (188k, in limbo)
Old 03-18-2024, 08:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by StimulusMistake View Post
Well, looks like a second power steering leak has sprung in my already failing power steering system. I could barely see in the pitch black last night but it looked like smoke and cooked ATF goo surrounding one of the fittings on the front passenger side where the P.S. lines meet w/ the radiator.

Things have been pretty grim as of late. Due to the return of my chronic illness and subsequent 0 cash flow I've been stuck daily driving the SVX since the summer despite it having at least one blown PS pump seal, a seemingly endless parasitic drain problem, and the dreaded VSS issue with no Speedometer/odo + CEL. Combine that with the massive panel rust holes from when I removed the lower door trim with plans to weld in a repair before my health started nosediving and the loss of my daily driver and I feel like I'm slowly killing the old girl despite how defiant of death it's clearly been for years of previous owner abuse. I rarely can go out these days so she maybe sees 5 miles of use a week, but I wish I could park her and do things right.

If anyone here is in the Pittsburgh area, I'm desperate enough to plea for a hand and fortunate to have a driveway and a half useable garage.

If there is a PSF leak, the first thing to suspect is a deteriorated O-ring between the PS pump and the tank above it. This is most likely if the entire PS pump is wet with fluid. It's a relatively easy fix.

Next, Next, if only the area around the shaft and pulley is wet, the oil seal may be damaged. The rebuild kit has been discontinued. But fortunately, so a general-purpose oil seal will be useful for overhauling.

I have overhauled the pump twice. Used pumps are hard to come by, so never throw them away. In many cases it is rebuildable. I'm looking for a spare pump just in case, but I can't find one. The vane and shaft have been discontinued and are no longer available.

Power steering hoses were still available a few years ago.

Good Luck.
Old 03-19-2024, 09:32 PM

Quote:
If there is a PSF leak, the first thing to suspect is a deteriorated O-ring between the PS pump and the tank above it. This is most likely if the entire PS pump is wet with fluid. It's a relatively easy fix.

Next, Next, if only the area around the shaft and pulley is wet, the oil seal may be damaged. The rebuild kit has been discontinued. But fortunately, so a general-purpose oil seal will be useful for overhauling.

I have overhauled the pump twice. Used pumps are hard to come by, so never throw them away. In many cases it is rebuildable. I'm looking for a spare pump just in case, but I can't find one. The vane and shaft have been discontinued and are no longer available.

Power steering hoses were still available a few years ago.

Good Luck.
Unfortunately the O-ring issue already happened this past summer. I bought a full reseal kit for the P.S. pump (which ironically was missing the O ring) but my health hasn't cooperated long enough to ever get the job done. Luckily the car had just been sitting in the garage until November when I lost my daily driver. I ended up having to drag the SVX out of the garage and I've been stuck driving it a few miles a week (>10) since then with 90% reduced power steering, dumping fluid at it and gritting my teeth hoping things get better so I can park it.

Things have stayed that way until Sunday when I finally lost whatever power steering and could smell P.S. fluid and see a fresh new leak coming from the two (?) hoses at the bottom of the passenger side of the engine bay, around those two clamps where what I assume are cooling lines meet the radiator?

I managed to get myself outside before sundown today to take a few photos but I'm not able to bend down or crawl under anything right now. I can upload 'em in a post below or start a new thread if needed.

On a side note, I should probably take a photo of everything I have that I ordered for the power steering pump in the summer. Since you've rebuilt them twice before maybe you (or anyone else who sees this) will notice if I'm missing anything else.

Last edited by StimulusMistake; 03-19-2024 at 09:38 PM.
Old 03-19-2024, 10:33 PM

Here's the few photos I took today and a reference photo of their location. The first one isn't new but obviously needs to be dealt with. The last picture is the new culprit from Sunday. Hopefully these are all replaceable with generic auto parts store cut to fit power steering hoses

I will take photos of the gore all over the block from the initial o ring failure when I'm feeling up to it.
Attached Images
File Type: png PSleakReference.png (976.4 KB, 36 views)
File Type: jpg PSleak1.jpg (352.5 KB, 34 views)
File Type: jpg PSleak2.jpg (242.2 KB, 33 views)
File Type: jpg PSleak3.jpg (176.6 KB, 32 views)
Old 03-20-2024, 04:35 AM

Quote:
Unfortunately the O-ring issue already happened this past summer. I bought a full reseal kit for the P.S. pump (which ironically was missing the O ring) but my health hasn't cooperated long enough to ever get the job done. Luckily the car had just been sitting in the garage until November when I lost my daily driver. I ended up having to drag the SVX out of the garage and I've been stuck driving it a few miles a week (>10) since then with 90% reduced power steering, dumping fluid at it and gritting my teeth hoping things get better so I can park it.

Things have stayed that way until Sunday when I finally lost whatever power steering and could smell P.S. fluid and see a fresh new leak coming from the two (?) hoses at the bottom of the passenger side of the engine bay, around those two clamps where what I assume are cooling lines meet the radiator?

I managed to get myself outside before sundown today to take a few photos but I'm not able to bend down or crawl under anything right now. I can upload 'em in a post below or start a new thread if needed.

On a side note, I should probably take a photo of everything I have that I ordered for the power steering pump in the summer. Since you've rebuilt them twice before maybe you (or anyone else who sees this) will notice if I'm missing anything else.
If the leak is from a hose near the radiator, the situation is not the worst. At least, the hose is on the low pressure side, so even if the hose is discontinued, a general-purpose oil hose can be used instead.

The automatic transmission's ATF is connected to the bottom of the radiator for cooling, but the power steering fluid is not connected to the radiator.
The oil cooler for PSF is a U-shaped pipe located between the radiator and the air conditioner condenser. You can open the hood and take a peek at it. There's no need to go under your car.

If the problem is the hose, try ordering the original hose first.

Or, Oil coolers often develop holes due to corrosion. SUBARU uses a similar shape of oil cooler in many cars, so even if it is discontinued, you may be able to use a similar shape of it.

I have experience of replacing that by cut and connecting a new type of oil cooler with fins for another old my SUBARU. It will cool down the PSF more and prevent it from deteriorating.
Old 03-20-2024, 04:56 AM

Quote:
Here's the few photos I took today and a reference photo of their location. The first one isn't new but obviously needs to be dealt with. The last picture is the new culprit from Sunday. Hopefully these are all replaceable with generic auto parts store cut to fit power steering hoses

I will take photos of the gore all over the block from the initial o ring failure when I'm feeling up to it.
At the very least, it's not good to have the hose band missing. In that condition, it will definitely leak. Maybe someone forgot to put it on when they were working. The radiator seems not a genuine. Replaced it ?

The hoses are definitely not in good condition, so I recommend replacing them all if you can get them.
Attached Images
File Type: png ps_hoses.png (177.4 KB, 31 views)
File Type: png ps_hose_partno.png (76.9 KB, 32 views)
Old 03-20-2024, 06:02 PM

Quote:
At the very least, it's not good to have the hose band missing. In that condition, it will definitely leak. Maybe someone forgot to put it on when they were working. The radiator seems not a genuine. Replaced it ?

The hoses are definitely not in good condition, so I recommend replacing them all if you can get them.
Wow, thank you for providing those numbers and diagrams for me. I don't think I've come across a single thing that has been done to this car (that wasn't documented on here 10-15 years ago by msvx95) that wasn't botched together or done dangerously wrong. The last three owners were teenagers. I didn't even know there was a hose clamp missing there. I assume you're referring to one being missing where the older leak where the wire style clamp is?

And the radiator is definitely not stock. It's a nice aftermarket one that someone from the Facebook group was interested in buying, but it's gargantuanly oversized and isn't/can't be mounted properly in the car. I'd like to ditch it for a stock radiator and a trans cooler in the summer if things improve by then.

I'm thinking my course of action for the moment is to replace the O ring, flush the pump, and replace all of the soft power steering hoses+clamps.

I see that 34611B is discontinued, are any of the hoses pictured special-order SVX parts or will regular P.S. hoses do?
Edit: as is 34620A which is a cooler pipe....damn

Last edited by StimulusMistake; 03-20-2024 at 06:41 PM.
Old 03-20-2024, 09:13 PM

Quote:
Wow, thank you for providing those numbers and diagrams for me. I don't think I've come across a single thing that has been done to this car (that wasn't documented on here 10-15 years ago by msvx95) that wasn't botched together or done dangerously wrong. The last three owners were teenagers. I didn't even know there was a hose clamp missing there. I assume you're referring to one being missing where the older leak where the wire style clamp is?

And the radiator is definitely not stock. It's a nice aftermarket one that someone from the Facebook group was interested in buying, but it's gargantuanly oversized and isn't/can't be mounted properly in the car. I'd like to ditch it for a stock radiator and a trans cooler in the summer if things improve by then.

I'm thinking my course of action for the moment is to replace the O ring, flush the pump, and replace all of the soft power steering hoses+clamps.

I see that 34611B is discontinued, are any of the hoses pictured special-order SVX parts or will regular P.S. hoses do?
Edit: as is 34620A which is a cooler pipe....damn
First of all, since I am not a native speaker, I may not understanding complex sentences correctly. In particular, Google Translate doesn't translate sentences like double negatives into Japanese correctly. Furthermore, the translation into English is sometimes incorrect. I always review it after the translation and corrected it, but there may still be mistranslations.

So, The hose in PSleak1.jpg you uploaded missing clip. If that is the current situation of your car, the PSF will definitely leak. It should be tightened with screws. Even on the low pressure side, there will be some hydraulic pressure, so it cannot withstand hydraulic pressure without a hose clip.

If you or someone else has previously rebuilt the PS pump, there is also a chance that you lost the screws when reinstalling.

First of all, I think the first thing you should do is remove most of the dirt with parts cleaner, etc., and then attach the clip correctly. Fill the PSF and check it leak or not after that.

Leaking ATF travels down the hose and collects in the oil cooler, making it dirty as well. It looks like it's leaking from around the oil cooler, but the leak may actually be only from the missing clip.

Once the leak has stopped, replace the hose in warmer weather. The first thing to do is to stop the leak.

As 34611B, 34611A, 34620B and 34610A is fixed by hose cramp, I believe that it will be able to use regular oil hose instead of genuine if it is discontinued.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg DSC_8569.jpg (82.6 KB, 29 views)