Live Chat!
SVX or Subaru Links
Old Lockers
Photo Post
How-To Documents
Message Archive
SVX Shop Search
IRC users:

Go Back   The Subaru SVX World Network > SVX Main Forums > Wanted or For Sale > SVX's and SVX Parts For Sale > SVX Parts For Sale

Old 05-15-2008, 09:06 PM

Send a message via AIM to JLHollowX13
Feeler: stock transmission

i might be getting a new 4.44 tranny, so i thought id see if anyone would be insterested in my stock tranny and how much i could get for it.

heres the deal:
not sure when the tranny was put in, my car has 142xxx miles on it, i know its a reman tranny though, so it probably has a significant amount less than the car. it works just fine, no problems shifting, or anything else. the only problem is that the speedo gears in the front diff dont work. (this is why im thinking of getting a 4.44). the tranny would be great for parts or even to use if you dont care about the speedo not working/if you fix the diff/ get a new diff. it would be great if your tranny is toast but your diff is fine. the diff itself works just fine, its just the gears that spin the speed sensor that are screwed up. i was going to replace the gears/entire diff, but i think i might just get a 4.44 if i can afford it, which would involve me selling my tranny. also because the 2 people i tried buying diffs from have not replied to me for a long time.

if you may be interested/have input on what i could get for it let me know.
thanks!

Last edited by JLHollowX13; 05-15-2008 at 09:09 PM.
Old 05-15-2008, 09:17 PM
Freezepop's are Awesome!!!!
Subaru Silver Contributor

Send a message via AIM to Hocrest
Quote:
Originally Posted by JLHollowX13 View Post
...also because the 2 people i tried buying diffs from have not replied to me for a long time....
Oops? I think I'm one of those 2?
Sorry, I don't have any front diff's right now. I sold my last one just a few days before I got your PM. If the diff is good, why not just replace the speed sensor gear? Since you need to keep the ring and pinion shaft as a set, replacing the speed sensor gear is easier than replacing the entire front diff.
Old 05-15-2008, 10:04 PM

Send a message via AIM to JLHollowX13
your not one of the people i was talking about so dont worry. the 2 people im talking about have been e-mailing me. if youve been e-mailing me then shame on you, you are one of them!! lol

anyway, the reason i was just going to replace the front diff was because if i take out the tranny to get the diff of and apart, i might as well skip the step of taking the diff apart and just slap a new one on there. then id have a diff in case i needed on that just needed new speedo gears. it would make even more sense to just replace the entire trans, which im thinking about, but that would involve more $. which is why i started this thread. if there is a way to replace the speedo gears w/out taking everything apart let me know! because no one has told me so thus far, but it would be cool if there was a way!

replacing the gears would be the cheapest method $ wise, followed by the diff, then the trans, but they go in reverse for cheapest time wise. so its either money or time. i was going to meet in the middle with a new diff, but i cant find out. that is the perfect balance of time and money imo. the trannys are so expensive, but replacing the gears would take longer, especially since i have no idea exactly what i need and i would need to order what i need from subaruparts before i tear into it so i wont have to wait on parts to get here. i just really dont know what i should do. ive heard so many different things. "its best to get a new tranny, its too much trouble to do the diff" "get the diff fixed, its cheaper" etc.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: