IRC users:

Go Back   The Subaru SVX World Network > SVX Main Forums > General SVX Babble

Old 11-05-2018, 03:49 AM

Registered SVX
Re: 3rd and 4th gear are not engaging + weird smell

Quote:
Originally Posted by Filip View Post
Hello Trevor,

Not bad, considering how far your country and mine are from each other :-)

So we measured the pressure and it was the same as last time. Numbers showed only in REVERSE, otherwise nothing. Switching ECO mode off, did not have any impact on the results.

The photo below shows the port we plugged it into. Is it correct one, or is it the one below, from that pair? We tried to plug it into both, but from the other one, when the thread was removed, the oil was leaking and not just a little, so we immediately tighten it a conduct measuring from the above one.

I would also like to pick up, that car is still the same,I definitely cannot say it is getting worse, the more I drive it. In terms of shifting and the smell, it is still the same. Smell is only outside the car.

I would even say, that the smell was now weaker than last time. Maybe because in my country now the weather is now getting colder

Thank you

Filip
Hello again Fillip,

Yes I am way, way down under and could fall off the planet and you are standing on the top. LOL

Posts 11 & 12 indicate that you have a VTD transmission, but you have not absolutely confirmed this. Please advise that you are sure that you have a VTD transmission, otherwise we are becoming completely confused.

It is 6+ years since I fitted my gauge, but if you have a VTD transmission your photo appears to show the wrong port. Refer the diagrams shown in posts 19 & 26. As I remember it, there are three (3) ports, one above the other, located within a recess/space/cavity between two sections of the transmission. The middle/center of the three ports is the correct one, as I remember it as as is shown in the diagrams.

You previously mentioned having to get a special tool and I presumed that you did not have a socket and extension or a tube spanner which you would need to reach the recessed plug. Your photo shows connections which could be reached with a normal spanner.

It appears certain that you are not connecting to the correct port. I would expect some oil to flow out and certainly if the engine is running.

You do not appear to have followed my suggestions regarding looking for the smell. This is important. Do you have someone who can assist you with translating English as we can not avoid technical words and phrases.

Cheers, Trevor.

As a child, on cold mornings I gladly stood in cowpats to warm my bare feet, but I detest bull$hit!

Last edited by svxcess; 11-06-2018 at 02:44 AM.
Old 11-05-2018, 10:38 AM

This is starting to be sort of a mysterious case...

I understand, that it is essential to identify my tranny type. Trevor, please refer to my post number 10. There you will find one important contradiction - sort of lost in the growing size of this thread - which you, as a SVX expert, can refine:

In all kind of sources, it is clearly stated, that Germany had the ACT-4 transmission, yet as you can see in my post 10, I proving, mainly with photo of the original 1993 German SVX manual, that my model is a VTD. Page with VTD gear ratios, written in the German language, clearly suggesting that. If we agree that this is true, then there are only 2 options:

A)My car is a VTD
B)My car originally was a VTD, but now it is an ACT-4, because previous owners, for whatever reasons, swapped it.

Now which one could be true?
If the diagram you sent me, showing the VTD tranny, then probably option A is correct.

If I listen to my feelings, I would have to choose option B. I simply cannot identify, with common objection on cumbersomeness and FWD feeling of ACT-4 owners. But I understand this could be relative, as I didn’t have a RWD car before.

For better orientation, see other pic:

Also check the aftermarket switch beside the shift lever.

I looked under it and the wires are cut off. My question is what was the original purpose of this switch? Power Mode MOD or 50:50 AWD toggle mod?

About the localization of the smell. If you mean it literally, then I would say, it is coming from the front, somewhere under the hood. When we were under the car, we didn’t observe it there.

Trevor, if you asking me about language, I am alone in this. I understand you, I don’t have problems with technical words (also a translator can help here ).

I must admit that I have problems in understanding specific phrases (I believe it is called an “idiom”) of your language, like a "stinker of a problem" which I thought was something like a hell of a problem, or a big problem, but not lesson one

So I hope that the above mentioned information will move us forward, but considering how many times I have submitted information, which at best kept us staying on the same page, I would not be surprised if you would take it with a grain of salt

Filip

Attached Images
File Type: jpg switch.jpg (62.8 KB, 930 views)
File Type: jpg 444.jpg (55.2 KB, 908 views)

Last edited by svxcess; 11-06-2018 at 10:48 AM.
Old 11-06-2018, 04:06 PM

Registered SVX

Posts 11 & 12 indicate that you have a VTD transmission and I have been assuming/thinkiing that this is correct when replying and offering advice to you. As you have not been able to find/locate the correct/proper port, (the place to connect the pressure gauge) using the diagrams/pictures, it would now appear/look like, that you have a ACT transmission and that your car has been either modified/changed/altered.

Yes, I agree that as you say "This is starting to be sort of a mysterious case." You must identify (decide) as to the transmission that is fitted to your car, otherwise this thread will become more and more confusing ,and mysterious.

Please be very sure that your comment, "would take it with a grain of salt" does not apply in any shape or form.

Sincerely, Trevor.

As a child, on cold mornings I gladly stood in cowpats to warm my bare feet, but I detest bull$hit!

Last edited by svxcess; 11-06-2018 at 06:53 PM.
Old 12-11-2018, 06:39 PM

Hello Trevor,

due to some issues, i couldnīt devote my time to SVX fully - therefore short hiatus...

I see, that we both have similar sense of humor and understand each other in this sense, which is always welcomed

Talking about transmission, it is sort of good news and bad news routine. Good news is, that it is VTD type after all. Bad one, that it is also well pressurised one. Numbers in all shift modes, either with ECO on or off, were above value of 40 PSI, you mentioned.

I assuming this means, that i should recall, where the hell i put that piggybank of mine last time

Winter weather has come to my country, which is typically time, when i not drive my cars. This year, it will also be time, to carefully think out, how to proceed further with SVX.

Looking forward to your opinion.

With regards
Filip
Old 12-11-2018, 11:45 PM

Registered SVX

Quote:
Hello Trevor,

due to some issues, i couldnīt devote my time to SVX fully - therefore short hiatus...

I see, that we both have similar sense of humor and understand each other in this sense, which is always welcomed

Talking about transmission, it is sort of good news and bad news routine. Good news is, that it is VTD type after all. Bad one, that it is also well pressurised one. Numbers in all shift modes, either with ECO on or off, were above value of 40 PSI, you mentioned.

I assuming this means, that i should recall, where the hell i put that piggybank of mine last time

Winter weather has come to my country, which is typically time, when i not drive my cars. This year, it will also be time, to carefully think out, how to proceed further with SVX.

Looking forward to your opinion.

With regards
Filip

Merry Christmas Filip,

You make a point, “Winter weather has come to my country, which is typically time, when i not drive my cars. This year, it will also be time, to carefully think out, how to proceed further with SVX.”

Yes while you have your thinking cap on and time available let us go over everything again from the beginning.

You first post advises:-

The SVX won't go into 3rd and 4th gear. In 1st gear, I must go to exactly to 3500rpm and above, in order to tranny change gear to 2nd. Also I must depress (later corrected as actually release) gas pedal, to make it shift. Otherwise, it would just stay in 1st gear and rev up.

Therefore it only shifts up if the load is taken off the transmission.

Possibly the throttle position signal be at fault and we must keep this in mind.

In some situations, when going around 15-30mph, after braking, clutch is slipping, so I have to rev the car a bit in order to accelerate.

(1) In what gear does this slipping occur? It would appear in 1st gear.

When I put shift lever to 3, car is acting like if it would be in neutral - after pressing gas pedal down, revs are going higher, but speed is not, it looks like clutch is slipping. I must be around 5000 rpm in order to make it accelerate.

It is possible that the inhibitor switch is out of adjustment and giving a wrong signal. Therefore --

(2) Check and advise that the gear position indicator lights are working properly.

(3) Do you think 3rd gear had become engaged or was the transmission in 1st or 2nd gear?

When I tried self-diagnostics (power light) I got code 24, which is duty solenoid C…

(4) At this stage it would be well worthwhile to do this test again and confirm the result.

Post 8 advises:-

It's hard for me to believe this, as first 500 miles, the tranny was absolutely OK - nicely shifting in all 4 gears. No clutch slipping.

(5) Think very carefully about this and see if you can think of anything of any sort which could have haven happened at this point when the problem commenced and in particular something that you may not have thought important at the time?

Post 34 advises:-

(6) Was the gauge connected to the correct port?

(7) Where the measurements taken while driving the car?

(8) Did the transmission shift only to 1st and 2nd and not move into 3rd?

(9) If the car was not being driven on the road was the transmission put under load with the brakes on and or the wheels chocked?

(10) In post 32 that you referred to a switch and some loose wiring. This raises the question as to whether a previous owner has made alteration and messed things about. Please advise in this regard so that this can be be considered in detail.

Please go through the above and answer each question, quoting the reference numbers provided so that we keep everything in logical order. Tedious I know, but so was writing this lengthy analysis. LOL

You have the sort of problem which has sent many an SVX to the grave and we must not let that happen. Otherwise we can not make this a Happy New Year.

Cheers, Trevor.

Last edited by svxcess; 12-12-2018 at 04:45 PM.
Old 12-22-2018, 08:14 AM

Hello Trevor,

Merry Christmas to you too !

"(1) In what gear does this slipping occur?". In 1st. Slipping happen only after slowing down and then speeding up. Slipping never happen when just driving straightly. Problematic situations are e.g. when braking before crosswalk and when braking before corner. Both these situations have in common, that after braking, car is not stopped, but only slowed down from 50kmph to say 20kmph and that transmission down shifting from 2nd to what looks like 1*

Lower the speed after slowing down is, the less clutch slips. In extreme, when i stop the car on crosswalk, then tranny starts straightly from 1 and in my case, not slipping. Opposite situation happen, if i would slow down car to say 30kmph. In this case, slip would happen and would continue, until i would hit that magic 3500rpm line, which would make tranny shift to 2.

* I have not mentioned it, but when i release gas pedal, engine drops down to 1000rpm, with ECO mode ON, or OFF. I suppose this is due to that limp mode. I writing it because, one time i seriously thought, tranny downshifting itself to N.

* * "Therefore it only shifts up if the load is taken off the transmission". Exactly this feeling i have. I would add, that in say 20% cases, shift change to 2nd is also accompanied by relatively heavy kind of force struck going to rear wheels. As if computer would be confused and with kind of inertia suddenly woke itself up. This also happen, when shifting, without releasing gas pedal. In this situation exact shift point is varied, but is always above 3500rpm, higher than when gas pedal released.

"(2) Check and advise that the gear position indicator lights are working properly." Checked. Working OK.

"(3) Do you think 3rd gear had become engaged or was the transmission in 1st or 2nd gear?" My statement "When I put shift lever to 3, car is acting like if it would be in neutral..." is misleading fake news . In 3, shift change actually never happens. It just stay in 1st gear and rev up. Please keep in mind, that i am not 100% sure on this one, as i did not want to damage the car, by testing this many times.

"(4) At this stage it would be well worthwhile to do this test again and confirm the result." Code 24 persist. Code shows up only when in diagnostic mode.

"(5) Think very carefully about this and see if you can think of anything of any sort which could have haven happened at this point when the problem commenced and in particular something that you may not have thought important at the time?" Actually, there is something. From beginning, SVX had sometimes problem to shift to 4th gear. Problem in the sense, that i had to release gas pedal to make it shift up. Otherwise, it would just rev up. In the best case tranny would shift to 4th, but in similar fashion, i describing above * * . I was driving uphill, on my way home from Germany, when this first happen.

"(6) Was the gauge connected to the correct port?" Yes, i am sure. It was the same port, from which we originally declined to measure, due to oil leak.

"(7) Where the measurements taken while driving the car?" Yes.

"(8) Did the transmission shift only to 1st and 2nd and not move into 3rd?" Yes.

"(10) In post 32 that you referred to a switch and some loose wiring. This raises the question as to whether a previous owner has made alteration and messed things about. Please advise in this regard so that this can be be considered in detail." Only ideas i can add to this are:
a) Seat heating is not working due to cut wires.
b) On roof, there was mounted aftermarket antenna, most probably for GPS signal, as the factory one is normally working. Its cable is led through the ceiling.
c) I think, that a+b means that previous owner, had installed sort of 2DIN panel, due to which he was messing around with wiring.
d) I still donīt see clear connection to that switch though. But these are only things worth mentioning. What are your impressions ?

Trevor, thank you for trying to help me, i appreciate that a lot !

For long time, i wanted to buy SC400. But one day, i saw SVX on the road and fall in love with it. Now, when i have one, i can only say, it is worth some initial pain and troubles. Important only is, before investing money into repairs, how to invest them in most effective way.

Filip

Last edited by Filip; 12-22-2018 at 08:50 AM.
Old 12-22-2018, 01:30 PM

Registered SVX

OK Filip,

The past history of the car is not known so that it is very worthwhile for you to cover and hope for what could be cheap repairs, even though this has become frustrating and difficult, before considering the very expensive option of replacing the complete transmission.

You have confirmed that you have a VTD transmission and you have a constant indication of a faulty “C” solenoid valve. Solenoid “C” controls the distribution of torque between the front and rear wheels by controlling the operation of the centre differential and could be causing the rather strange slipping that you are experiencing. You also advise, "a shift change to 2nd is accompanied by relatively heavy kind of force struck going to rear wheels". If only to the rear wheels, this could indicate faulty torque distribution.

Unfortunately it is not clear as to exactly what fault causes the transmission to operate in limp mode and it is probable that the a solenoid “C” fault could also result in limp mode becoming engaged.

As I recall fixing this particular fault does not require removing the complete transmission and it has been detailed here within previous threads, so that a search should provide the information you require to fix the problem. While this "C" fault remains it is difficult to exactly analyse the overall situation.

Hang in there, as here you have friends here willing to assist.

P.S. The obvious next step is to check the C solenoid valve in every way possible without pulling things to pieces. Disconnect the plug from the TCU rather than work at the transmission connector awkwardly placed under the car, then locate the fourth pin from one end, which carries a green/red wire that runs directly to the C solenoid.

Check and measure the resistance from this plug pin to ground and therefore the anticipated resistance of the solenoid winding. The next two pins from the close by end, with black connecting wires, should provide a convenient ground connection.

As I recall the correct resistance is recorded somewhere in the manuals but I no longer have them. Can someone assist in this regard ?

If everything appears in order, as a mechanical check, briefly apply quick 12 volt pulses from a fused circuit, say the cigarette lighter socket and listen for clicks coming from the transmission. A length of plastic tubing can work quite well as a stethoscope. You must accept that operation of the armature and valve may not be audible, but give it a try and follow your instincts and common sense.

Last edited by Trevor; 12-23-2018 at 01:06 AM. Reason: P.S. added.
Old 12-22-2018, 10:38 PM
Subaru Gold Contributor

Significant Technical Input Registered SVX

Filip, I think you have worn out the brake band, that supplies 2nd and 4th, and the high clutch is slipping.
You say;

Quote:
"(5) Think very carefully about this and see if you can think of anything of any sort which could have haven happened at this point when the problem commenced and in particular something that you may not have thought important at the time?"*Actually, there is something. From beginning, SVX had sometimes problem to shift to 4th gear. Problem in the sense, that i had to release gas pedal to make it shift up. Otherwise, it would just rev up. In the best case tranny would shift to 4th, but in similar fashion, i describing above** **. I was driving uphill, on my way home from Germany, when this first happen.

This event was the first signs that the brake band was slipping to get worse. The band is applied to shift from 3rd to 4th, this leaves you with 1st and slightly slipping 3rd.
This section;

Quote:
"(1) In what gear does this slipping occur?". In 1st. Slipping happen only after slowing down and then speeding up. Slipping never happen when just driving straightly. Problematic situations are e.g. when braking before crosswalk and when braking before corner. Both these situations have in common, that after braking, car is not stopped, but only slowed down from 50kmph to say 20kmph and that transmission down shifting from 2nd to what looks like 1**

Lower the speed after slowing down is, the less clutch slips. In extreme, when i stop the car on crosswalk, then tranny starts straightly from 1 and in my case, not slipping. Opposite situation happen, if i would slow down car to say 30kmph. In this case, slip would happen and would continue, until i would hit that magic 3500rpm line, which would make tranny shift to 2.
This bit I think you are slowing down in 3rd, to 2nd to accelerate away so the band slips till 3500 when the high clutch engages again. A bit hard to tell the change points as you have it in Economy Mode that will make it stay in the gear to lower road speeds, before it changes down, and change up at lower road speed. You would do better with that Mode turned off to reduce the load on the band and clutch.

So the way I see it happened was the band did a bit of slipping when it was driving in 4th, this wore it till it will not work for both 2nd and 4th.
I can’t see any signs that 3rd is not working, but, maybe slipping under load.
In this bit,

Quote:
* **"Therefore it only shifts up if the load is taken off the transmission". Exactly this feeling i have. I would add, that in say 20% cases, shift change to 2nd is also accompanied by relatively heavy kind of force struck going to rear wheels. As if computer would be confused and with kind of inertia suddenly woke itself up. This also happen, when shifting, without releasing gas pedal. In this situation exact shift point is varied, but is always above 3500rpm, higher than when gas pedal released.
I think it was accelerating in 1st,, the change to 2nd happened, but the band slipped till 3500 when the high clutch came on with a bang, for 3rd .

I think a rebuild would be the best plan, they would use the upgraded parts, and you end up with a reliably transmission.

95 Lsi. Bordeaux Pearl, Aust. RHD.149,000Kls Subaru BBS wheels.
97 Liberty GX Auto sedan. 320,000Kls.
04 Liberty 30R Auto Premium. 92.000kls.
Old 12-22-2018, 11:23 PM

Registered SVX

Quote:
Originally Posted by oab_au View Post
Filip, I think you have worn out the brake band, that supplies 2nd and 4th, and the high clutch is slipping.
You say;

This event was the first signs that the brake band was slipping to get worse. The band is applied to shift from 3rd to 4th, this leaves you with 1st and slightly slipping 3rd.
This section;

This bit I think you are slowing down in 3rd, to 2nd to accelerate away so the band slips till 3500 when the high clutch engages again. A bit hard to tell the change points as you have it in Economy Mode that will make it stay in the gear to lower road speeds, before it changes down, and change up at lower road speed. You would do better with that Mode turned off to reduce the load on the band and clutch.

So the way I see it happened was the band did a bit of slipping when it was driving in 4th, this wore it till it will not work for both 2nd and 4th.
In this bit,

I think it was accelerating in 1st,, the change to 2nd happened, but the band slipped till 3500 when the high clutch came on with a bang, for 3rd .

I think a rebuild would be the best plan, they would use the upgraded parts, and you end up with a reliably transmission.
I see that I have provided food for some ongoing thought.

Although possible, there is no proof that the band is completely worn out. If this is in fact the problem, surely the first option is to try adjusting the band and thus prove the point, rather than rush into the huge expense of rebuilding the transmission.

The band could be worn to the point of slipping, but not completely worn out.

The necessary instructions are included in the manuals and the process is not that arduous. (Hard or difficult.)

Last edited by Trevor; 12-23-2018 at 01:15 AM.
Old 01-07-2019, 11:13 AM

Talking Re: 3rd and 4th gear are not engaging + weird smell

Quote:
Hello,

Firstly I would like to apologize in advance if I make some grammar errors, as English is not my primary language and I am not using it regularly.

So I am a new owner of a 1993 SVX. It is a beautiful car it is and so quiet and comfortable :-)

Mileage is roughly 157,000 miles. No corrosion. Car is generally in very solid condition. Its from Germany.
Before I bought the car, I knew about tranny issues, yet I must say, that I didn't expect that I would be dealing with this problem so soon. I have driven only 500 miles with this car and most of it was on the way home from the dealer.

Before buying, with test drive completed, no such problem occurred.

Symptoms:

The SVX won't go into 3rd and 4th gear. In 1st gear, I must go to exactly to 3500rpm and above, in order to tranny change gear to 2nd. Also I must depress gas pedal, to make it shift. Otherwise, it would just stay in 1st gear and rev up.

In some situations, when going around 15-30mph, after braking, clutch is slipping, so I have to rev the car a bit in order to accelerate.

When I put shift lever to 3, car is acting like if it would be in neutral - after pressing gas pedal down, revs are going higher, but speed is not, it looks like clutch is slipping. I must be around 5000 rpm in order to make it accelerate.

ATF on the tranny dipstick is still red, with only bit of brown. Its definitely not burnt, or black.

When I tried self-diagnostics (power light) I got code 24, which is duty solenoid C...

The other thing that bothering me is, that when I park the car and turn engine off (maybe even with engine on, I haven't tried it yet) I detect some sort of weird smell. First I thought it was from fresh paint on exhaust system, but as I already driven over 500 miles with the car, paint should have already burnt off, right ?

It's sort of burnt plastic smell... Could it have any relationship to tranny issue ?

In case it would help anybody, to determine my problem, I can gladly elaborate on problems, or make video of drive.

Thank you very much for any help you can offer - it will be very appreciated,

With regards

Filip
Hey Flip. I'd tell my experience on the tranny but it's too long..I'll fry a brain cell. (Saves brain cell)

The burning smell, from experience, is steering related. Something is leaking from your Rack and Pinion or you have a failing Steering Pump (mine was all of the above, including every pressure line connected to it!!)
Anyway, take a breath, since I'm sure the transmission isn't ∆ON FIRE∆ hehe.
If you see no leaks from the transmission or it's lines, it's probably fine. But word of caution on your tranny oil: I believe you have water in the transmission or you have very old transmission fluid mixing in with newer transmission fluid.
Not good, it would surely explain the slipping, reving and bad shifting.

I believe this is correctable with the right oil.. you'll have to spend more on oil changes.
I STRONGLY suggest replacing the oil with Amsoil ATF, though you'll have to replace that Amsoil ATF every 4 months until all the old transmission fluid is out of the converter.
You may have a weak converter too, though I don't know too much about these.
Another Note: Make sure the Mainseal isn't leaking ANY.
EXTRA Note: Burnt plastic smell? When the car is turned off? YEAH, I'd say it's steering. I reread your post and it's exactly the same signs and symptoms I experienced before the steering went drastically south....eventually, you'll see bad leaks (From steering pump and lines) pooling up around the engine block..it'll leak down on to exhaust manifold (burnt plastic smell) then eventually pool onto the dust cover, or plastic shroud that protects the underside of engine (I forget what it's called)
My 0.02Ē

Last edited by RisingPhoenix; 01-07-2019 at 11:50 AM. Reason: Spelling
Old 01-07-2019, 12:21 PM

Smile Re: 3rd and 4th gear are not engaging + weird smell

NOTE: Why I only use Amsoil ATF in the 4-EATs.. The transmissions in the SVX have a higher operating temperature and larger bands. Factory DEXRON 3 and 4 are not sufficient for these transmissions. I've had to replace the Valvoline ATF every 4 months when it would start to break down and cause the transmission to stick or shift hard up or down. The regular ATF (I only used Valvoline ATF until I switched to Amsoil ATF) will turn a slight brownish color at the 4th or 5th month when this sticky shifting reappears after 15 - 40 miles of daily driving.
I've been driving on Amsoil ATF (no oil changes) the past 4 years and the car shifts VERY smooth, like glass!!!
Also, there is NO CHANGE in COLOR of the oil that I can tell.
Amsoil ATF can handle a much higher operating temperature whereas factory DeEXRON oil will not... with much less wear on internal transmission parts.
My 0.02Ē

Last edited by RisingPhoenix; 01-07-2019 at 12:23 PM. Reason: To add..
Old 01-16-2019, 03:45 PM

Exclamation Re: 3rd and 4th gear are not engaging + weird smell

Quote:
You say;

This section;

In this bit,

The 'BANGS' tell me that the ATF oil is pretty well broken down. The brake bands may be 'getting weak'
Here's how to test the transmission to see if it's an oil problem or a *transmission* problem:

Safely raise all 4 tires up off of the ground with jackstands, apply throttle from first to 3rd (I did this in a dealers shop one time) and if it shifts 'smooth' you probably have weak brake bands or they need adjusted..BUT if it shifts hard or *BANGS* (no load) while shifting, it's definitely the oil is bad. (Even if it looks good)

Last edited by RisingPhoenix; 01-16-2019 at 03:47 PM. Reason: Add...
Old 02-08-2019, 01:40 AM

Thank you guys for your interesting answers !

I really appreciating you have been thinking about problem you donīt have. I have been thinking very hard too, what to do next. Indeed, this has become tough sophieīs choice.

It is paradoxical, because before i decided to buy SVX, i bought it only because i knew, it is possible to convert it to manual. But when i eventually bought SVX, i was very much surprised how much i like auto transmission in this car. I was prepared to change my mind and keep it.

But now, from different reasons, i have decided(80%) to make manual swap. I definitely do not want to alter car spirit, or better say original engineers intention of making luxury gentleman car. But even Subaru engineers admitted, they would have offered manual, if they would have had one strong enough and that is vital.

What do you guys think, what are your opinions on manual swap, in my case 06,07 sti 6 speed ? Are there any known malfunction from perspective of long term usage ? If i have 3.7 rear diff, i have to also swap rear diff for R180, or keep R160 ? I have been properly studying this forum, which have tons of my question already answered, but i have not found answers to these two.

With regards
Filip
Old 02-08-2019, 02:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trevor View Post
I see that I have provided food for some ongoing thought.

Although possible, there is no proof that the band is completely worn out. If this is in fact the problem, surely the first option is to try adjusting the band and thus prove the point, rather than rush into the huge expense of rebuilding the transmission.

The band could be worn to the point of slipping, but not completely worn out.

The necessary instructions are included in the manuals and the process is not that arduous. (Hard or difficult.)
Hello Trevor, I could ask mechanic to firstly inspect these two things you mentioned, as they should be easy for him. If repair would cost say 500EU, why not drive with VTD for year or two and then swap, right :-) Filip

Last edited by Filip; 02-08-2019 at 02:25 AM.
Old 02-08-2019, 02:14 AM

Quote:
You say;

This section;

In this bit,

oab_au: interesting idea, but i donīt think car is in 3rd gear. It wouldnīt rev that much in speeds around 50-70 KM/H and accleration wouldīt be so good. It really seems it is in 2nd, but what i know
Just in theory, if proper rebuild is done, can tranny be considered as a reliable unit, after that. How many KMīs can it whitstand before troubles would come again ? Also in case of rebuilding, which parts are changed ? Thank you Filip

Last edited by Filip; 02-08-2019 at 02:18 AM.

Tags
burn, gear, shift, smell, transmission