How-To Documents
Message Archive
SVX Shop Search
IRC users:

Go Back   The Subaru SVX World Network > SVX Main Forums > Technical Q & A

Old 05-14-2016, 07:58 PM

Registered SVX
Re: Fuel pump wiring harness or cross platform match

oh, one other thing do you have a need for a Radiator? is your radiator the plastic tank stock rad? I tested the AMR Prototype all aluminum radiator and it is very good, plus it wont crack after a few thousand more heat cycles if you need one this is definitely the time to get in on the group buy.
I do not have any stake in the radiators, but having used one I am a believer. plus they just look so damn good.

Old 05-27-2016, 07:53 PM

Re: Fuel pump wiring harness or cross platform match

(Ha! started this post almost a week ago, and just picked up my laptop and found I hadn't finished it! )

UPDATE:

They were able to install the fuel pump and the car seems to be running fine... in THAT regard. The fuel pump is good to go.

Once they got the car started and took it for a test drive they found that it had a torque converter seal leak. So I went on my lunch hour to the dealership and paid for the car and took it for a test drive myself (fully expecting to be dripping ATF the whole time). Sure enough ATF dripped all over the exhaust and the car smoked a bit as I drove it on the highway a couple of miles and back. I parked it in a parking lot next to the dealership until I could come back later with my wife and pick it up and drive it home.

The next day we picked it up and it drove great. Not a puff of smoke. This was a largely highway trip. When I got off the highway all was fine too... until I went over some railroad tracks and heard a "puh-tink"! Not entirely sure the sound was related but immediately after that I began absolutely BILLOWING a huge trail of smoke. Felt sorry for the couple on the motorcycle that had to eat that giant cloud for about a mile!

Knowing that I only had a mile to go after the smoke started, and knowing that the smoke was ATF, I decided to limp on home. The car made it. But honestly just BARELY. I left a giant stain in the road where I waited to turn into our neighborhood, and a really long stain leading up to my house and into my driveway. I had to rev it to about 5K just to back it into the driveway. yep, that thing was pretty much OUT of ATF by then. Hope I didn't screw anything up (I don't think I did).

So I'm having it towed on Sunday (yes on Sunday) to a shop to have 'em put that seal in (which I went ahead and bought at the dealership while I was there paying for it and they told me it had a leak). This will be the THIRD tow I've had to pay for in this repair process. UGH!

I'm ***HOPING*** to have it by the end of next week. Even though Monday is Memorial Day the guy is saying he can probably get right to it. We'll see. I'm not holding my breath but I am hoping...

That's the latest on this thing.

FINAL UPDATE TO THIS BIT:

Turned out not to be a torque converter seal, as the dealership had said, but just a busted hose! Guy replaced it and all the ATF ("with the good stuff") for $150! I'm a happy boy!

'96 LSi, Laguna Blue (retired - soon going to a new home)
'89 XT6 5 speed (Gone but not forgotten)

Last edited by Austin; 06-04-2016 at 05:55 PM. Reason: UPDATE