CopsodyX

Quote:
Originally posted by DavieGravy
Wouldn't tire size play a role?
i always wondered about this...does it?
Old 10-04-2002, 08:53 PM

Registered SVX
Tyre Size

Yes the smaller the rolling diameter of the tyres the faster your speedo will tell you that you are travelling. In effect the final gear ratio has been altered.

Just ONE of the reasons speedometers can be and usually are inaccurate. The error tends to increase in proportion to the speed. The electronics have little to do with ultimate accuracy even if the original calibration is true and this is always in doubt.

As a child, on cold mornings I gladly stood in cowpats to warm my bare feet, but I detest bull$hit!

Last edited by Trevor; 10-04-2002 at 08:55 PM.
Old 10-07-2002, 09:29 AM
$VX

Quote:
Originally posted by CopsodyX

These are electronic speedometers...i doubt theres much of, if any of, a difference. Also, i believe that some 92s came with a limiter, and others didn't. Also, the tailwind thing, maybe, but I doubt it. When I do my trip to WA in approximately 1 month, i'll do figures before the manual conversion, and after as well...i'll get the facts about this one.
92s are the only ones WITHOUT a limiter.

- Ca$h
Old 10-07-2002, 10:48 AM
Habesha

Sorta OT but not quite

I know it's not an SVX, but my 93 Legacy L has been to 130 without any chatter. I could even steer with one hand. Of course, I'm not sure my tranny liked the fact that I was doing 80-something in 4th
Old 10-07-2002, 04:34 PM
CopsodyX

Quote:
Originally posted by $VX

92s are the only ones WITHOUT a limiter.

- Ca$h
I meant that some 92s came with limiters, while other 92s didn't. I know, theoretically, they don't have one, but I think that's bull****...these cars stop at 143, and the computer stops it before it can go faster than that. Speed rises VERY slow over 130. Where as, the 1/91 models have been said to go up to 153, even with the very tall 4th gear...I think this was published somewhere...
Old 10-07-2002, 04:55 PM
Superbeast

I had my 92 up to 130 dusting a 5.0Mustang.
140 dusting a 2k Camaro but my exit came up so had to let him by. It may have had more but not much.
Had my 91 legacy turbo speedo buried past 140 and still pulling. Just wanted to make shure it could do it.
92 SVX #772 140k 6speed, ECU Tune stage II, Koni/Ground control, 3,270lbs.
91 Legacy Turbo 5spd. FMIC, crappy stock turbo, ACT clutch.
78 BRAT (New toy) (Soon to be EJ22T powered)
90 240 SX. RB25 powered!! DRIFT!!!111!!! (GF's car)

To many cars to spend time on teh web!
Old 11-03-2002, 02:21 AM
sans SVX

Send a message via AIM to mbtoloczko
I got my '95 SVX up to 145 mph on a shallow incline this evening. It felt like it had more left in it, but from what I've read, the speed-limiting electronics kick in at that speed. I'll have to re-test on a flat section of road when I get an opportunity. BTW, I hit my off ramp, which is a 180 degree exit, at about 4x the posted ramp exit speed, couldn't slow it down enough to keep the rubber glued to the asphalt, and ended up almost doing a 360 on the offramp. Once I got things under control, I found myself in a complete 4 wheel drift with the rear end kicked out! It was a kick! :-) Each time I push this car to it limits and beyond, I'm amazed at how easy it is to control.

Visit my locker

SVX Mods: ND iridium spark plugs, Impreza RS fpr, afr tuned to 13.2:1 using a custom MAF bypass, custom exhaust, WRX 5MT w/ STi RA 1st-4th gear & stock WRX 5th gear, Exedy 13 lb flywheel & Sport Clutch, STi Group N tranny & engine mounts, urethane spacers in rear subframe, rear diff mounts, and pitch stopper, SVX Sport Strut Springs (185f/150r), custom 19 mm rear swaybar, urethane swaybar mounts, Rota Torque 17x8", 225/45-17 Proxes 4 tires, Axxis Deluxe Plus organic brake pads.
Old 11-03-2002, 05:55 PM

Send a message via AIM to SVXMAN2001
I recall hearing somewhere that with the gearing ratios of the stock tranny, with enough hp the car could get up to speeds in excess of 170.. is this true? how much hp would it take to get it up there? thanks
chris
Old 11-03-2002, 06:03 PM
CopsodyX

i heard the same thing...in excess of 170. But I heard that if it was a LITTLE shorter, the engine would be closer to its highest power at a high RPM, and would pull to redline.
Old 11-03-2002, 09:41 PM
greg

I've only had mine to about 115-120. I made a hour and thirty min trip from chattanooga to atlanta in 45 min. The car felt like I was doing 55-60...but I was scared of cops so I tried to keep at 90-100. The car is hard to drive a long trip at 70 or so, it just wants to keep moving!

-G
Old 11-03-2002, 09:45 PM
CopsodyX

Quote:
Originally posted by SVX'in
I've only had mine to about 115-120. I made a hour and thirty min trip from chattanooga to atlanta in 45 min. The car felt like I was doing 55-60...but I was scared of cops so I tried to keep at 90-100. The car is hard to drive a long trip at 70 or so, it just wants to keep moving!

-G
You're telling me...it seems to be at its very happiest at just over 95...i've never tried crusing higher than that.
Old 11-04-2002, 12:47 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by SVX'in

-G
When I had my SVX up at 125, it felt like I was doing 200. Very insecure. The steering tightened up quite a bit, wind drag blowing the car everywhere (not from bad weather). I certainly wouldn't maintain much past 110 for very long. To be honest, my 86 honda accord felt more stable at comparable speeds. Don't get me wrong, I'm happy with my SVX, but the car does have its drawbacks. I won't sit here and pretend that it doesn't.

Last edited by DavieGravy; 11-04-2002 at 01:00 AM.
Old 11-04-2002, 01:49 AM
CopsodyX

Quote:
Originally posted by DavieGravy

When I had my SVX up at 125, it felt like I was doing 200. Very insecure. The steering tightened up quite a bit, wind drag blowing the car everywhere (not from bad weather). I certainly wouldn't maintain much past 110 for very long. To be honest, my 86 honda accord felt more stable at comparable speeds. Don't get me wrong, I'm happy with my SVX, but the car does have its drawbacks. I won't sit here and pretend that it doesn't.
Okay, something must be wrong with yours. Everyone here will tell you that one of the biggest high points for the SVX is high speed crusing.

At 135, I could tell NO DIFFERENCE from crusing at 70 except for the fact that there was a bit more wind noise, and everything was going by much faster.

Which model SVX do you have? The tightening of steering is a GOOD THING at high speed; it stops you from sneezing and having your car spin out of control; it adds resistance. BTW when I was at 135 I don't remember making any steering corrections...it was that smooth, and that was with my alignment slightly off.

Wind drag blowing the car everywhere? Hmm...I don't remember that. Tell me, do you have a rear spoiler? Because I do and I have no problems at high speed...if you don't, maybe thats the problem...

Is it possible your alignment was off? Were all your windows and sunroof closed? Was your hood properly latched? I ask that last one because at like 100 i noticed a lot of noise, and when i got home, i realized that the hood wasn't all the way latched. Was your tranny and AWD system working properly? Was the steering pump and rack working right?

I don't know why you'd have an experience like that...get back to us.
Old 11-04-2002, 01:08 PM

I've noticed a slight improvement since changing my tires, but even my accord rode solid with bad ones.

I do have a rear spoiler.

I've always been paranoid about weather my car's been in an accident. There is the issue with the driver's side door not lining up with the rest of the paneling on the car. (By the way, I do remember the advice given to me about how to fix this; I still haven’t gotten around to it.)

Also, my car has the black grill between the front headlights, unlike the regular plastic piece I see on every other 92. This suggests to me that the part may have been replaced at one point.

It could just be that I still haven’t gotten used to the weight, even after a year and a half of driving it. I don't know. But there's not much I can do about it now anyway. So I'm not going to worry about it. Besides, the car's in good mechanical shape and I've had no major issues.