How-To Documents
Message Archive
SVX Shop Search
IRC users:

Go Back   The Subaru SVX World Network > SVX Main Forums > General SVX Babble
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-18-2011, 12:42 PM
Grand Poo-Bah

Send a message via AIM to halistan Send a message via MSN to halistan Send a message via Yahoo to halistan
Registered SVX
EGR valve

Ok, so my SVX has been at the rebuilders for like a month now. They FINALLY have it done but today they call me and tell me that they still get an error for the EGR valve. They were going to replace it but they called around and said that it wasn't available. I called the dealership here as well as subaruparts.com and neither of them could get it either. They said it is discontinued by Subaru.

I checked O'reillys and Autozone. O'reilly's is discontinued, but autozone has it. The mechanic recommended against using either of those because i'd have to just replace it the next year and told me to keep looking and see if i can find an OEM part.

Any ideas anyone? It would suck to drop all this money on an engine rebuild and not be able to finally drive the car because I can't get it inspected!! How much would that suck??
All new and improved custom built engine with forged internals, lowered compression, upgraded cams and a stage III supercharger. AMR Engineering struts, Custom exhaust --All 3 Subaru cats removed, and replaced with 2 high flow mustang cats-- Cross-drilled & Slotted rotors, steel braided brake lines, bypassed stock Tranny cooler replaced with aftermarket B&M super-cooler, and a K&N drop in air filter.
Old 10-18-2011, 01:11 PM

Registered SVX
Re: EGR valve

the weird thing about that valve is that the JDM eg33s never came with one so i wonder if you can get away with it. best bet is to find one off another car i guess
Old 10-18-2011, 01:30 PM
some sort of nerd. some sort.
Subaru Silver Contributor

Registered SVX

Quote:
Originally Posted by halistan View Post
Ok, so my SVX has been at the rebuilders for like a month now. They FINALLY have it done but today they call me and tell me that they still get an error for the EGR valve. They were going to replace it but they called around and said that it wasn't available. I called the dealership here as well as subaruparts.com and neither of them could get it either. They said it is discontinued by Subaru.

I checked O'reillys and Autozone. O'reilly's is discontinued, but autozone has it. The mechanic recommended against using either of those because i'd have to just replace it the next year and told me to keep looking and see if i can find an OEM part.

Any ideas anyone? It would suck to drop all this money on an engine rebuild and not be able to finally drive the car because I can't get it inspected!! How much would that suck??
Texas does emissions testing? I didn't know that.

What year is your car?

Also, there are two possible EGR codes on the OBD 1 cars, the EGR solenoid and the EGR temp sensor. The 92s didn't have the temp sensor and won't care that it's not there, but the 94s will throw a code if it's missing/unplugged only (regardless of what it reads). They'll all throw a code for the solenoid if it's bad/unplugged.
'94 Laguna Blue LSi ~159k.......JDM ultra short-geared 3.900 STi Version 7 6-speed w/ Cobb shortshifter, ECUtune 244,8.1mm/256,9.1mm i/e cams, group N motor mounts, '97 grille, JDM clear corners, Momo JDM Legacy GT steering wheel, apkarian's LED tails, silver STi BBS wheels, PWR radiator, redstuff pads f/r, drilled/slotted rotors, bontragerworks rsb #18, Koni/GC 450f/375r coilovers, Megan Racing adjustable lateral links, KMac c/c plates, Stebro exhaust, ECUtune 1v5, Optima battery in the trunk where it belongs. Turbo project

'97 Ebony LSi ~137k #036.......Power mode mod, JDM clear corners, BBS wheels. AUX/pocket mod

Now a mod "over there" ............Photo album

Last edited by icingdeath88; 10-18-2011 at 01:34 PM.
Old 10-18-2011, 01:49 PM

Registered SVX

Conn does tail pipe emissions on the SVX 1996 and older. My emissions guy ( good friend of mine ) said pull the bulb and bring it in .Mine will come on every once in a while stay for 25 miles and go off. It passed emissions a week before I got it
Old 10-18-2011, 02:41 PM

Registered SVX

Conn Svx, 96 is OBDII, no tailpipe test on OBDII
Old 10-18-2011, 03:06 PM

Registered SVX

Cut off must be 95 then
Old 10-18-2011, 03:16 PM

Registered SVX

My 92 passed CT emissions with EGR issues. I just cleared the code in the parking lot before the idle test. My light likes to come at highway cruising speed.
Old 10-18-2011, 06:21 PM
Grand Poo-Bah

Send a message via AIM to halistan Send a message via MSN to halistan Send a message via Yahoo to halistan
Registered SVX

Quote:
Originally Posted by icingdeath88 View Post
Texas does emissions testing? I didn't know that.

What year is your car?

Also, there are two possible EGR codes on the OBD 1 cars, the EGR solenoid and the EGR temp sensor. The 92s didn't have the temp sensor and won't care that it's not there, but the 94s will throw a code if it's missing/unplugged only (regardless of what it reads). They'll all throw a code for the solenoid if it's bad/unplugged.
It's a 1993. I was looking at subaruparts.com and it shows the temp sensor for this year model. I thought the 92's and 93's were virtually the same car. Is this different?

It looks like Napa can get the part. Does anyone know how hard it is to install? I might just do it myself.
All new and improved custom built engine with forged internals, lowered compression, upgraded cams and a stage III supercharger. AMR Engineering struts, Custom exhaust --All 3 Subaru cats removed, and replaced with 2 high flow mustang cats-- Cross-drilled & Slotted rotors, steel braided brake lines, bypassed stock Tranny cooler replaced with aftermarket B&M super-cooler, and a K&N drop in air filter.
Old 10-18-2011, 07:42 PM
some sort of nerd. some sort.

Registered SVX

Quote:
Originally Posted by halistan View Post
It's a 1993. I was looking at subaruparts.com and it shows the temp sensor for this year model. I thought the 92's and 93's were virtually the same car. Is this different?

It looks like Napa can get the part. Does anyone know how hard it is to install? I might just do it myself.
There are few enough '93s that I don't know what exactly is different. Never messed with the EGR. I would just delete it and see if I could get a JDM ECU or some other work around. I don't believe in EGRs.
'94 Laguna Blue LSi ~159k.......JDM ultra short-geared 3.900 STi Version 7 6-speed w/ Cobb shortshifter, ECUtune 244,8.1mm/256,9.1mm i/e cams, group N motor mounts, '97 grille, JDM clear corners, Momo JDM Legacy GT steering wheel, apkarian's LED tails, silver STi BBS wheels, PWR radiator, redstuff pads f/r, drilled/slotted rotors, bontragerworks rsb #18, Koni/GC 450f/375r coilovers, Megan Racing adjustable lateral links, KMac c/c plates, Stebro exhaust, ECUtune 1v5, Optima battery in the trunk where it belongs. Turbo project

'97 Ebony LSi ~137k #036.......Power mode mod, JDM clear corners, BBS wheels. AUX/pocket mod

Now a mod "over there" ............Photo album
Old 10-18-2011, 07:53 PM

Registered SVX

From my reading here and other places the 92 ecu does not look for egr, but 93 and up all do so if you can get a 92 ecu you wont need to worry about it.
I am with icing on this delete the egr and be happy.
Old 10-18-2011, 08:35 PM

Registered SVX

Quote:
Originally Posted by icingdeath88 View Post
There are few enough '93s that I don't know what exactly is different. Never messed with the EGR. I would just delete it and see if I could get a JDM ECU or some other work around. I don't believe in EGRs.
On most 90's and earlier cars they can be removed and just fine. It seems that with some of the newer cars, they started to develop engines with the EGR involved to get better tuning. I have heard this but not confirmed.
Old 10-18-2011, 10:40 PM

Registered SVX

Ray if you figure this out let me know, mine throws codes too. I was going to try and seafoam the engine first and see if I could get any of the crap out of there. Calixto had the EGR system replaced on this car once already.
Old 10-18-2011, 10:42 PM

Registered SVX

BTW have you tried to get it inspected? Mine was way over on hydrocarbons, but yours may still pass despite having the CEL on. I can tell you the guys I go to and see if it would pass at least.
Old 10-19-2011, 08:34 AM

Registered SVX

Not sure , but I think I only have to pass once more . After 20 years they don't test .
Old 10-19-2011, 08:59 AM

Registered SVX

Quote:
Originally Posted by Conn SVX View Post
Not sure , but I think I only have to pass once more . After 20 years they don't test .
In CT, it is 25 years to be exempt from emissions testing.
At 20 years you can get "antique" plates in CT, but those don't exempt you from testing.