Photo Post
How-To Documents
Message Archive
SVX Shop Search
IRC users:

Go Back   The Subaru SVX World Network > SVX Main Forums > Technical Q & A

Old 03-28-2009, 09:55 AM

PWR Radiator vs External Tranny Cooler

With summer coming in the Mojave desert I need to prepare my car for the extra heat. Right now it is using the original radiator to cool the engine and tranny and I'm wondering whether I should move to using a PWR radiator or just adding an external cooler. I know there is quite a large cost differential between the two, but I'd rather go with the best solution, not necessarily the cheapest. I'm most concerned with: (1) will the solution cool enough that I won't have to worry about the tranny temp and (2) will the solution cool too much in winter that I won't have lockup. Thanks!
Old 03-28-2009, 10:48 AM

Re: PWR Radiator vs External Tranny Cooler

Quote:
Originally Posted by taylorbr View Post
With summer coming in the Mojave desert I need to prepare my car for the extra heat. Right now it is using the original radiator to cool the engine and tranny and I'm wondering whether I should move to using a PWR radiator or just adding an external cooler. I know there is quite a large cost differential between the two, but I'd rather go with the best solution, not necessarily the cheapest. I'm most concerned with: (1) will the solution cool enough that I won't have to worry about the tranny temp and (2) will the solution cool too much in winter that I won't have lockup. Thanks!
Front mounted trans cooler!
plus its less expensive. better have an external trans filter too.
plus ya might wanna consider some "water wetter' for your coolant.
I laught cuz you're all the same."
Old 03-28-2009, 10:56 AM
Just some dude.

Significant Technical Input

I use an external cooler mounted in the fender of my SVX and skip the radiator connections all together. The cooler in the radiator is very restrictive. Mine is a B&M plate and fin cooler with a fan I picked out for its high air pulling capacity vs current draw, relay/wiring kit, and inline thermostat switch I got from Summit Racing. You could do much the same thing a lot easier with a kit like the B&M 70298 kit. http://store.summitracing.com/partde...5&autoview=sku

Cut a rectangular hole in the part of the fender liner that sticks out as a bump at the bottom and it will form an inlet scoop. Cut another hole up high in the wheel well of the fender liner to form an exhaust outlet. This type of set up will run 176 degrees day in and day out; mine does at least. It warms up quickly because it is isolated from air flow until the thermostat kicks the fan on and the restriction posed by the plate and fin cooler is miniscule. This also greatly reduces the burden on the engine cooling system by relieving it of the heat from the transmission.
Old 03-28-2009, 10:59 AM
Just some dude.

Significant Technical Input

you might also want to take a look at my TCUs. I've improved the overheat protections in them and they are on sale right now to try to get enough out there to spread the word how great they are.