IRC users:

Go Back   The Subaru SVX World Network > SVX Main Forums > Technical Q & A

Old 03-15-2009, 01:27 AM
A.L.I.C.E.

Send a message via AIM to techy101 Send a message via Yahoo to techy101
A few more questions...

Yup, more questions from Techy.....

First,
How does this look in the cylinders? It's my first time so I'm not 100% sure what I should be looking for. Is the crap that is on the piston supposed to be there? Can/should it be cleaned off w/o tearing the whole thing apart?

Second,
How does this cylinder look? Ben mentioned to look for scoring, but I'm not sure what exactly that is. I assume it means some kind of scratching.

Third,

What is the best way to clean off the goop from the old head gasket, etc... I tried a light scraping on a very small section but it looked like it put a few very very tiny scratches into the aluminum so I stopped.
Old 03-15-2009, 07:06 AM
51 Club

Registered SVX
Re: A few more questions...

Those cylinders look to be in beautiful condition. You can still see the cross hatching from when it was honed.
I think if you use a bit of heat (heat gun) and a plastic scraper the old gasket material should come off. Maybe some solvent for a final cleaning.
Old 03-15-2009, 01:04 PM
EG33 Impreza RS

looks real good, but the bearings will go far sooner than issues with the walls.
Old 03-15-2009, 01:15 PM
Official AutoX Part Breaker
Subaru Gold Contributor

Registered SVX

the cross hatching you see is fairly typical for EG33 engines in the 150k mile "age". What you'll want to do, assuming you can borrow the right instrument (internal bore guage) is check to see how "in round" the cylinders are and to what extent, if any, they've developed a taper (variance in ID as you move down the cylinder). Since you already have the heads off, it's too late to do a leak down check (you might still want to consider doing one once you've got the heads back on). Given the concern that LAN and YT have voiced regarding the rod and main bearings, I would suggest looking into checking/replacing them while you've got the engine out. While I'm not necessarily recommending the "blue printing" approach that LAN takes (mandatory use of a machine shop to do it right and the $$ that go with it), you could at least go the plastigage route to see if anything is seriously "going South".
-Bill

Most famous NASA "Child" - OSIRIS-REx delivered samples from asteroid BENNU to Earth in Sept. 2023

Center Network Member #989

'92 Fully caged, 5 speed, waiting for its fully built EG33
'92 "Test Mule", 4:44 Auto, JDM 4:44 Rear Diff with Mech LSD, Tuned headers, Full one-off suspension
'92(?) Laguna, 6 spd and other stuff (still at OT's place)
My Locker
Old 03-15-2009, 01:32 PM
A.L.I.C.E.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SVXRide View Post
the cross hatching you see is fairly typical for EG33 engines in the 150k mile "age". What you'll want to do, assuming you can borrow the right instrument (internal bore guage) is check to see how "in round" the cylinders are and to what extent, if any, they've developed a taper (variance in ID as you move down the cylinder). Since you already have the heads off, it's too late to do a leak down check (you might still want to consider doing one once you've got the heads back on). Given the concern that LAN and YT have voiced regarding the rod and main bearings, I would suggest looking into checking/replacing them while you've got the engine out. While I'm not necessarily recommending the "blue printing" approach that LAN takes (mandatory use of a machine shop to do it right and the $$ that go with it), you could at least go the plastigage route to see if anything is seriously "going South".
-Bill

What are the concerns with the bearings?
Old 03-15-2009, 03:28 PM
Official AutoX Part Breaker
Subaru Gold Contributor

Registered SVX

Quote:
Originally Posted by techy101 View Post
What are the concerns with the bearings?
they can be set up too tight from the factory, which shows up under "extreme" loading. If you check out LAN and YT's threads, you'll see they recommend staying away from the tight end of the specs in the shop manual.

-Bill

Most famous NASA "Child" - OSIRIS-REx delivered samples from asteroid BENNU to Earth in Sept. 2023

Center Network Member #989

'92 Fully caged, 5 speed, waiting for its fully built EG33
'92 "Test Mule", 4:44 Auto, JDM 4:44 Rear Diff with Mech LSD, Tuned headers, Full one-off suspension
'92(?) Laguna, 6 spd and other stuff (still at OT's place)
My Locker
Old 03-15-2009, 04:12 PM
Maniac modifier

Registered SVX Classic SVX

If they are not making noise at 100k... They are not too tight. I would really worry about the bottom end too much unless you had previous concerns (rod knock, or crank walk). You can clean up the pistons by bringing them to the top of the bore and using a vertical drill wire brush with some engine top end cleaner. Make sure you flush the oil and coolant out of the engine after everything is reassembled to get rid of any debris you may have let get by you. Take car in what you do in regards to surfaces of the cylinder walls and the block's deck.

Tom
Old 03-15-2009, 10:12 PM
A.L.I.C.E.

Ok, adding another question into this mix.

It's about the things that are behind the valves (the metal disk things, sorry I don't know the name). Most of them fell out of one of the heads and I put back in, but if I am going to flip the head over to remove the old gasket, they'll all fall out I think. Is this ok? I'm not sure what the arrangement was so I'm sure they're not in the same place

Thanks!

These little disks that the cam hits.

Next question, how the hell do I remove this sprocket? If I'm not mistaken, I'll need to get it off to remove the oil pump.

Last edited by techy101; 03-15-2009 at 10:40 PM.