How-To Documents
Message Archive
SVX Shop Search
IRC users:

Go Back   The Subaru SVX World Network > SVX Main Forums > Technical Q & A

Old 07-06-2007, 09:36 PM
Just some dude.

Significant Technical Input
I can't speek for your bearings but I can speek for mine. I followed the tsb and have 50,000 miles since ..still perfect.

Quote:
Originally Posted by benebob
I guess then Showa grease is supposed to disolve with water then as it washed completely off my hands with water, no soap. The same packing grease was on mine as was on my XT6 bearing. I read the TSB you speak of and it leads me to believe that it is for new rus not the SVX. Then again, if you like water sol. grease then by all means go for it! Oh and Subaru bearings are to be repacked every 30-60k depending on driving conditions according to some TSBs I've read which again goes against this. Then again, I haven't bought a bearing in 3 years (though I soon should) so maybe they changed grease on 'em. Makes no logical sense that they would change it and throw away old stock but then again, if they're having techs not being able to pack 'em properly and its costing them money it might make sense.
Old 07-06-2007, 09:58 PM
Freezepop's are Awesome!!!!
Subaru Silver Contributor

Send a message via AIM to Hocrest
Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffast
good point on the tires the front ones are touring tires and it has snows on the rear, that could be causing noise, yes i know its a bad idea it's how i bought the car its not in 4d though
Before anyone else tells Jeff that his trans is gonna explode tomorrow, I'll give him the benefit of the doubt and assume that by "4d" he meant "4wd"

While this may also not be the best situation for the car, I also know from his other posts that he's looking at tire choices to get all four matching.
Old 07-07-2007, 07:09 AM
Have a poncho I can borrow?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trevor
Depending on how/if the argument is resolved.
No argument just experience. I have no doubt that LAN was told this and read this (as I read it too but got that it was just current Subarus). I won't put something in a wet area that disolves in water like the grease that came on the only SVX bearing I ever bought no matter what someone says.
Old 07-08-2007, 11:27 PM
I kill more trannies then god

ok to clarify it has no drive shaft in the rear right now, just the front half, it came with mismatched tires, and a blown transmission, i'm not a ****ing moron,
at also still has the 3.54 rear end so even matching tire arn't going to do any good till i have an afternoon to devote to it so i can finish my 4.11 swap
Old 07-09-2007, 04:55 AM
word words wording

Send a message via AIM to SomethingElse Send a message via MSN to SomethingElse
Quote:
Originally Posted by longassname
you can get the bearings from partsamerica as well. SKF bearings. It's the factory bearing. They have the rears too NTN japan, also the factory bearing right down to the grease (which is not packing grease. It's a showa shell grease with a lighter viscosity than most wheel bearing grease and a base that is completely incompatible with all grease sold in the US. You are NOT supposed to repack them. In fact the correct service procedure is to never remove the plastic hub which holds the bearing together. You are supposed to press the wheel hub through the bering with a shop press pressing the plastic through in one perfectly aligned motion. And never but ever ever ever touch it with any other kind of grease.) My information on the grease comes directly from the showa shell engineer who pulled the reference manual for the fsm listed part number on the grease for me. My information on the procedure comes from the latestSubaru technical bulletin which says the oposite of what is promoted on the network. It says to NEVER remove the plastic hub NOT to fully dissamble and clean the bearing.

Now people have had OK success with repacked bearings so they get very defensive when you tell them you aren't really supposed to do that...but...you aren't really supposed to do that. If you have the right equipment (a shop press not a hub tamer) it's better to do it the right way.
+1!!

I have done about 5-6 bearings now and each one has failed from previous improper removal and or installation. Most of the time the mating surface has been damaged where the hub meets the seal allowing water ingress. A press is the easiest way IMO but there is a kit out there that will allow you to do it on a car. I always use the factory grease.

The best way to find your noise is using chassis ears. if none are available to you put the car in the air and use a long screwdriver while the wheels are spinning put the screwdriver on the hub and compare each one.

Rebuilt P/S pump info... http://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/showthread.php?t=50918

If your car wont start info... http://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/show...ighlight=click