How-To Documents
Message Archive
SVX Shop Search
IRC users:

Go Back   The Subaru SVX World Network > SVX Main Forums > Technical Q & A

Old 07-05-2007, 10:47 PM
I kill more trannies then god

great wheel bearings.....

i have some road noise comming from the front sounds to me like the bearings might be going,
how much is this gonna set me back in parts, and how hard is it to do?
Old 07-06-2007, 03:37 AM
I work for my SVX

Registered SVX
Are you sure it's the bearings? Usually it's the rear that needs replacing.
Old 07-06-2007, 04:30 AM
Moar shifty!
Subaru Gold Contributor

Send a message via MSN to Crazy_pilot
Registered SVX
IN the interest of ruling things out, try rotating your tires front to back. Perhaps one of your front tires is going bad. If the sound goes away or moves to the rear, then that's your problem.

1stsubaruparts.com has the front bearings listed at $77.32

https://www.1stsubaruparts.com/

92 Ebony Mica LS-L "A Rolling Restoration": 223,250 KM - Sleeping
2007 STi 6MT, Stance GR+ coilovers, PWR Rad, JDM hood badge, svxfiles 6000K HIDs, JDM Clear Corners, $15/15 min mod, $20/20 min mod, Energy Swaybar Bushings, Hella Supertones horns, Gold STi BBS rims, Group A lightweight crank pulley, A/C system removed, Custom header-back exhaust, Hybrid carbon/metal rear sway bar, restored headlights with CCFL halos
2008 Subaru Legacy Spec B - Diamond Grey Metallic - Sold
2020 Ram 1500 Longhorn - Red Pearl

Old 07-06-2007, 08:13 AM
Have a poncho I can borrow?

I know a couple people that had their front bearings go but I'd try the tire rotation as well. It isn't an easy job and one that you need the right tools to do. A BFH really isn't a good idea as if you're not in 100% right you'll need to redo them shortly or will need a new hub. Probably $300 a side is a good estimate at a competent shop. Remind them that they CANNOT use the grease it is shipped with as even Subaru shops now that Subaru is shipping some already packed can forget this simple step.
Old 07-06-2007, 08:40 AM

good point on the tires the front ones are touring tires and it has snows on the rear, that could be causing noise, yes i know its a bad idea it's how i bought the car its not in 4d though,
ben thanks for the estimate
Old 07-06-2007, 08:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dannmarr
Are you sure it's the bearings? Usually it's the rear that needs replacing.
no but my style is start with the most expensive thing when budgeting the repair
Old 07-06-2007, 09:11 AM
Old Timer (age that is)

Send a message via Yahoo to lhopp77
Registered SVX
Bad

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffast
good point on the tires the front ones are touring tires and it has snows on the rear, that could be causing noise, yes i know its a bad idea it's how i bought the car its not in 4d though,
Very, very bad idea to run different tires front and back on an AWD vehicle. That could cost you much more in the long run.

Lee
96 SVX LSi Red
92 SVX LS Pearl (Parts)
01 F150 4X4 Red
(+6 with other members of the family)

FREEDOM IS NOT FREE
Old 07-06-2007, 10:17 AM
Making tires round, Six now :)

Man! I agree with rotating the tires. The alignment can wear the tires. Run your hand around the tire and feel for fish scale. This is common when the alignment is off. Any idea how many miles on the mismatched tires?
Take care,
John
Old 07-06-2007, 01:40 PM
I have a problem. :(

Send a message via AIM to shelfy Send a message via Yahoo to shelfy
Registered SVX
and having two different size tires doesn't help either.

1997 Subaru SVX LSi "Svetlana" #185 of 640 - 09/1996 - Polo Green Pearl - 34k miles

1992 Subaru SVX LS-L "Everett" #8738 - 01/1992 - Ebony Pearl - 139k miles - 5MT shifty - Sold 07/31/2011

1992 Subaru SVX LS-L "Sven" #1599 - 05/1991 - Claret - 168k miles - Traded 05/11/2005

2023 Subaru Crosstrek Limited CVT - Crystal White Pearl - 2.8k miles
2021 Subaru Forester 2.5i Limited CVT - Horizon Blue Pearl - 17k miles
2023 Volkswagen Jetta S 6MT - Pure White - 2.6k miles
2020 Hyundai Ioniq Limited EV - Ceramic White - 30k miles
Old 07-06-2007, 02:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffast
You on crack out ther Jeff or just wanna replace another tranny?
Old 07-06-2007, 07:32 PM
Just some dude.

Significant Technical Input
you can get the bearings from partsamerica as well. SKF bearings. It's the factory bearing. They have the rears too NTN japan, also the factory bearing right down to the grease (which is not packing grease. It's a showa shell grease with a lighter viscosity than most wheel bearing grease and a base that is completely incompatible with all grease sold in the US. You are NOT supposed to repack them. In fact the correct service procedure is to never remove the plastic hub which holds the bearing together. You are supposed to press the wheel hub through the bering with a shop press pressing the plastic through in one perfectly aligned motion. And never but ever ever ever touch it with any other kind of grease.) My information on the grease comes directly from the showa shell engineer who pulled the reference manual for the fsm listed part number on the grease for me. My information on the procedure comes from the latestSubaru technical bulletin which says the oposite of what is promoted on the network. It says to NEVER remove the plastic hub NOT to fully dissamble and clean the bearing.

Now people have had OK success with repacked bearings so they get very defensive when you tell them you aren't really supposed to do that...but...you aren't really supposed to do that. If you have the right equipment (a shop press not a hub tamer) it's better to do it the right way.
Old 07-06-2007, 07:47 PM

Registered SVX
The above should go in the "How Too" stuff.

As a child, on cold mornings I gladly stood in cowpats to warm my bare feet, but I detest bull$hit!
Old 07-06-2007, 08:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by longassname
you can get the bearings from partsamerica as well. SKF bearings. It's the factory bearing. They have the rears too NTN japan, also the factory bearing right down to the grease (which is not packing grease. It's a showa shell grease with a lighter viscosity than most wheel bearing grease and a base that is completely incompatible with all grease sold in the US. You are NOT supposed to repack them. In fact the correct service procedure is to never remove the plastic hub which holds the bearing together. You are supposed to press the wheel hub through the bering with a shop press pressing the plastic through in one perfectly aligned motion. And never but ever ever ever touch it with any other kind of grease.) My information on the grease comes directly from the showa shell engineer who pulled the reference manual for the fsm listed part number on the grease for me. My information on the procedure comes from the latestSubaru technical bulletin which says the oposite of what is promoted on the network. It says to NEVER remove the plastic hub NOT to fully dissamble and clean the bearing.

Now people have had OK success with repacked bearings so they get very defensive when you tell them you aren't really supposed to do that...but...you aren't really supposed to do that. If you have the right equipment (a shop press not a hub tamer) it's better to do it the right way.
I guess then Showa grease is supposed to disolve with water then as it washed completely off my hands with water, no soap. The same packing grease was on mine as was on my XT6 bearing. I read the TSB you speak of and it leads me to believe that it is for new rus not the SVX. Then again, if you like water sol. grease then by all means go for it! Oh and Subaru bearings are to be repacked every 30-60k depending on driving conditions according to some TSBs I've read which again goes against this. Then again, I haven't bought a bearing in 3 years (though I soon should) so maybe they changed grease on 'em. Makes no logical sense that they would change it and throw away old stock but then again, if they're having techs not being able to pack 'em properly and its costing them money it might make sense.
Old 07-06-2007, 08:32 PM

Registered SVX
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trevor
The above should go in the "How Too" stuff.
Depending on how/if the argument is resolved.

As a child, on cold mornings I gladly stood in cowpats to warm my bare feet, but I detest bull$hit!
Old 07-06-2007, 08:34 PM
Inventor of the 5-speed swap

Significant Technical Input Registered SVX
Jeff....install the FWD fuse untill you get 4 matching tires on it.....I'd hate to see you toast your new tranny
88 XT6 AWD 5-Speed "Bride of FrankenWedge"
15 Impreza Premium Sedan
15 Crosstrek XV 5-Speed
My 5-Speed "How-To" Write-up
1976 Pontiac Firebird Formula
Current Count of Subaru's Owned.... "70"