How-To Documents
Message Archive
SVX Shop Search
IRC users:

Go Back   The Subaru SVX World Network > SVX Main Forums > Technical Q & A
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-27-2007, 03:32 PM

Anyone have a code 56?

Hey guys, My check engine light comes on after 10 minutes of driving. I looked in the "How to Section" and pulled these codes: 32,37,56. Both O2 sensors? This sucks, anyway what do I check on a 56? It just says EGR system...so what do I replace?

Thanks as always, Blue
Old 05-28-2007, 04:17 AM
Phil & Belha

Does your SVX come from California originally? As I understand it, from reading the Factory Service Manual, there is some a special ECU mode forCalifornia to meet the stricter emissions laws. It looks like code 56 is related to this.

There's not much troubleshooting information in the book. It just says "EGR valve open/stick, EGR hose disconnect or exhaust pressure control valve damaged".

If your car is reporting problems with both O2 sensors as well then I would hazard a guess that you have ONE problem triggering all three codes. They are all connected with the exhaust system. Remember that a sensor code doesn't necessarily mean the sensor is faulty. It means the sensor is reporting a signal outside of the expected normal range.

Maybe you have a leaky EGR hose and air is getting sucked into the exhaust and upsetting the O2 sensors? Pure speculation, of course. My car doesn't have this system and all I know about it is what's shown in the book.
1994 Alcyone SVX S40-II
2004 Subaru Legacy 2.5 SE Sports Tourer
1996 Subaru Legacy 2.2 GX Wagon
1988 Subaru Justy J12 SL-II

Last edited by b3lha; 05-28-2007 at 04:28 AM.
Old 05-28-2007, 11:18 PM

Thanks for taking the time to look that up. My cars not from Cali, but you raise a good point. I don't want to spend $200 on O2 sensors if I don't need them. Think I'm taking this one to the Subee dealership. Thanks again, Blue
Old 06-01-2007, 12:31 PM

You know I was thinking the Check Engine light came on just after I removed the lower heat sheild just before the #1 O2 sensor. Think that could cause these codes?

Just thinking out loud, Blue
Old 06-01-2007, 12:45 PM
Maniac modifier

Registered SVX Classic SVX
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blue94
You know I was thinking the Check Engine light came on just after I removed the lower heat sheild just before the #1 O2 sensor. Think that could cause these codes?

Just thinking out loud, Blue

Not unless you caught a wire or damaged the sensors themselves... )2 sensors for the most part shoot a code when they are dead. Stealerships are gonna kill you on costs... I would replace them for piece of mind and then if the problem persists... you already have new sensors... There are bosch aftermarket sensors that are a direct fit and are not too expensive. Search on and you can find them easily

The Code 56 as far as I know is the EGR temp sensor... Considering the only electrical portion of the EGR is this sensor it is most likely your culrpit

Tom
Old 06-01-2007, 03:53 PM

Thnanks for the info Tom, I've been hearing alot about this stealership concept latley. I'm gonna have to get handy with my tools I guess. I need the practice, as soon as I can find a cheap---really cheap---manual I'll be buying your kit and going to town.
Old 09-03-2007, 08:32 PM

Well I thought I would update. I finally ordered two O2 sensors, went with Walker instead of
Bosch...hope it is okay. Anyway they went in fairly smooth, better than one can expect though I
did fulfill my tradition of grinding off at least one bolt per project. I had to pull the exhaust
shrouds to get a wrench around the sensor which proved to be the most time consuming part.

The Good news: It worked All codes cleared, no CEL.
Old 09-04-2007, 05:41 AM
Posting since Dec.'98
Subaru Silver Contributor

Registered SVX
Are the Walker a three wire or did you have to do a splice? and how much did they set you back?
Old 09-04-2007, 10:01 AM

They had the factory plug so I was able to just unplug one and plug in the new. They were $66.99 each, so far no probs.
Old 09-04-2007, 01:07 PM

Registered SVX
where did you order the walker from if they were $66-67 each they are much cheaper than the bosch thanks
Old 09-05-2007, 12:04 AM

Got them from http:www.autopartsauthority.com. The bosch were only $77 or something like that at this site but hey, $20 is $20.
Old 01-19-2008, 10:06 AM
Posting since Dec.'98
Subaru Silver Contributor

Registered SVX
Blue94: How's the car working? Sent you a PM.
Old 01-20-2008, 06:20 PM
Never Forget

Registered SVX
Hmmm, i havnt been on for awhile cause i've been busy with work and school....but my engine light has been on since i got the car last in '06 and it's from Cali.

I changed the EGR Valve and the light is still on....i changed the O2 sensors not to long ago and the light is still on and now i have the codes for all injectors

IDK what to do about the EGR and IDK whats wrong with my injectors....my gas mileage use to average 27, but now im getting 21-22mpg

Does anyone have any advice?

PS: my car leaks a ton of oil too, but idk where from exaclty...looks like from the top of the motor under the intake or valve covers....

i drive a '94 L

VICSVX
Old 01-21-2008, 10:33 PM
Pretend Innovator

Registered SVX
Quote:
Originally Posted by VICSVX View Post
Hmmm, i havnt been on for awhile cause i've been busy with work and school....but my engine light has been on since i got the car last in '06 and it's from Cali.

I changed the EGR Valve and the light is still on....i changed the O2 sensors not to long ago and the light is still on and now i have the codes for all injectors

IDK what to do about the EGR and IDK whats wrong with my injectors....my gas mileage use to average 27, but now im getting 21-22mpg

Does anyone have any advice?

PS: my car leaks a ton of oil too, but idk where from exaclty...looks like from the top of the motor under the intake or valve covers....

i drive a '94 L

VICSVX

How many miles have you traveled since you changed O2 or EGR? Did you ever reset the ECU after making the repairs?

With the injectors, have you lost power or performance as well as MPG?
Old 01-24-2008, 04:56 PM
Never Forget

Registered SVX
since i changed the egr, i might have went about 7k and the o2 sensors about 3k....and i did reset the ecu after the each but after i changed the egr valve the engine light still showed code 56...after i changed the o2 sensors, the codes for those went away but 56 still showed....now injecter codes adn 56 show

i have lost mpg hardcore and the perfomance seems a little sluggish as well...when i start the car, smells like my car is running rich....i use to get 27 on average but now im getting 19-22 and i drive highway