Message Archive
SVX Shop Search
IRC users:

Go Back   The Subaru SVX World Network > SVX Main Forums > Technical Q & A

Old 05-16-2007, 09:04 PM
Loyal Subie-ist

Send a message via MSN to SubyLuver
High tranny temp- imagine that

I have a Perma-Cool tran filter relocation kit with a gauge and bypassed the radiator/tranny cooler with a external 8"x12" cooler mounted in front of the radiator. I am getting a reading of about 200 on hard driving isnt that too high? Mounted on the drivers side by the lines. I dont think it is stable but I was looking for input.

I didnt install the cooler, but I did install the perma-cool to replace a magnetic filter POS...
(To-do list Koni Struts & Springs lacking funds)
Old 05-16-2007, 09:08 PM
Freezepop's are Awesome!!!!
Subaru Silver Contributor

Send a message via AIM to Hocrest
Your set up sounds similar to mine and the only way I see 200* is when accelerating up a windy hill on a hot day.

While cruising on the highway with my TC locked, I run about 60*-70* above the air temperature.
Old 05-16-2007, 09:16 PM
There's a storm coming.

Significant Technical Input Registered SVX
A local SVXr , not YET on The Network, was showing 208°f, untill he pulled and flushed his trans cooler lines, and THEN showed about 176°f on a similar heat/humidity day.
the first equal length headers,
the first phenolic spacers,
the first Class Glass fiberglass hood,
the first with 4, 4.44s in his driveway

Fiberglass Hood thread
My locker
4.44 Swap link

Last edited by svxfiles; 05-16-2007 at 09:32 PM.
Old 05-16-2007, 09:29 PM
One teal and One yellow

may get even lower if u flush ur radiator...

92 LS-L TEAL since Aug '01
92 LS-L YELLOW since Mar '05
Old 05-17-2007, 12:39 AM
Banned
Subaru Gold Contributor

Send a message via AIM to Budfreak
I was having a similar problem on michael blues car when I dropped it off to him. He has a brand new radiator I just installed plus a aftermarket trans. cooler and perma cool filter with gauge and it ran at 200-205 the whole trip there and climbed to nearly 230 when he was test driving it hard. The tranny, Most of the lines, internal filter, radiator, and external filter are all new and the only thing left old is the external cooler which was already there but was hooked up wrong, Which I corrected. Why is it running so hot?
Old 05-31-2007, 01:56 PM

Registered SVX
Quote:
Originally Posted by SubyLuver
I have a Perma-Cool tran filter relocation kit with a gauge and bypassed the radiator/tranny cooler with a external 8"x12" cooler mounted in front of the radiator. I am getting a reading of about 200 on hard driving isnt that too high? Mounted on the drivers side by the lines. I dont think it is stable but I was looking for input.

I didnt install the cooler, but I did install the perma-cool to replace a magnetic filter POS...
What is the type & GVW rating of your cooler? I'm in the SoCal desert, I run 90 to 100 degrees over ambient temp. I have a Hayden stack cooler, 30000 GVW mounted between the radiator & condenser. When it's 110-115 I run 200-215.
Frequent stops really raise the ATF temp.
Old 06-03-2007, 02:30 PM

I have the following set up for over a year now. While pushing hard and accelerating up a two mile hill with many sharp turns my temp's will reach 100* over ambient. While cruising on the highway with the TC locked it is like I said earlier about 60* above ambient. If I can get on the highway without first heating up the ATF, then it stays closer to 50* over ambient. Also as you will see, I am measuring the temperature of the fluid immediately after it leaves the trans, I'm guessing this is the "high" spot on the temperature path???

- Transmission to black steel "T" fitting with temperature sender. I used 1/2" npt fittings to minimize restricting the flow.
- I removed the metal lines that run under the head, and have rubber lines running the whole way. I'm not sure if the fluid picks up any heat while running through metal lines attached to the head, but I assumed that it did and eliminated them. This also make installation easier.
- From the sender the fluid goes to a Perma-Cool Filter #10678, I have this mounted in the area of the original filter, along the frame rail, below the battery.
- From the filter I bypass the stock cooler and the line goes to a B&M #70255 16,000 gvw, 9800 BTU cooler. I have the cooler mounted in front of condenser. It fits vertically between the rad supports. There is room for another identical filter on the other side.
- The line then returns to the transmission.

It appears that my cooler is much smaller than yours, but the temperatures are about the same. My first guess to explain this is my placement in front of the condenser.

If I take the car to the Dragon this year, I plan to get an identical cooler and run with both installed. When I do this, I will also change the set up to include the stock cooler in the radiator, during the winter I had issues with the temperatures being too low while on the highway resulting in the TC unlocking. I'm not sure if I will plumb them parallel, in series or a combination?

I also want to put a second temperature sender in the line just before it returns to the trans, then I can actually see what the cooler(s) are doing.

I got the parts from Jegs, but they are available from many places...

Or I may just put in a 5-speed?????
Old 06-03-2007, 02:53 PM
Have a poncho I can borrow?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Budfreak
I was having a similar problem on michael blues car when I dropped it off to him. He has a brand new radiator I just installed plus a aftermarket trans. cooler and perma cool filter with gauge and it ran at 200-205 the whole trip there and climbed to nearly 230 when he was test driving it hard. The tranny, Most of the lines, internal filter, radiator, and external filter are all new and the only thing left old is the external cooler which was already there but was hooked up wrong, Which I corrected. Why is it running so hot?
Doesn't matter, that tranny is done. You should never drive above 210 with the highest flash point fluids out there like Mobil 1 (which is 219 degrees (that is only a 4% error rate and the best gauges are around 10% off.
Old 06-03-2007, 06:11 PM
Making tires round, Six now :)

I would get 230F or higher on the line out of the trans. That was several years ago when I had a gauge. It only happen when I drove it hard up hills and the TC never locked up. Yeah on hot days. That was about about 186k miles ago SO ??? That's my experience.
Remember that the temperature in the line out of the trans is going to be cooled off BEFORE it goes back to the trans. The line out of the trans is also the TC discharge so yeah it's going to get hot.
I just don't know or if anyone else knows..... how much comes out to be cooled 80% 60% 40% of the pump flow rate????? It splits

SO maybe the ATF temperature in the pan is better indicator???

Take care,

John
Old 06-04-2007, 09:16 AM
Have a poncho I can borrow?

Quote:
Originally Posted by svx_commuter
I would get 230F or higher on the line out of the trans. That was several years ago when I had a gauge. It only happen when I drove it hard up hills and the TC never locked up. Yeah on hot days. That was about about 186k miles ago SO ??? That's my experience.
Remember that the temperature in the line out of the trans is going to be cooled off BEFORE it goes back to the trans. The line out of the trans is also the TC discharge so yeah it's going to get hot.
I just don't know or if anyone else knows..... how much comes out to be cooled 80% 60% 40% of the pump flow rate????? It splits

SO maybe the ATF temperature in the pan is better indicator???

Take care,

John

That's rare John at the flash point the fluid begins to break down rapidly due to the heat and since you can't get all the fluid out of a transmission. Anything above 210 is bad but you might not have been above that as most cheaper gauge senders aren't the most reliable. 20 degrees or so is still within the margin of error for most sub $100 gauges. I have my gauge in the pan on my SVX it runs about 100 degrees above outside air temp in stop and go traffic. Biggest problem is it doesn't cool off much even when you do get out on the highway in some open space. Once its up, it stays up.
Old 06-04-2007, 10:37 AM
Making tires round, Six now :)

Quote:
Originally Posted by benebob
That's rare John at the flash point the fluid begins to break down rapidly due to the heat and since you can't get all the fluid out of a transmission. Anything above 210 is bad but you might not have been above that as most cheaper gauge senders aren't the most reliable. 20 degrees or so is still within the margin of error for most sub $100 gauges. I have my gauge in the pan on my SVX it runs about 100 degrees above outside air temp in stop and go traffic. Biggest problem is it doesn't cool off much even when you do get out on the highway in some open space. Once its up, it stays up.
That is good you got a pan temperature. I think it is more accurate.
I agree that once it gets hot it stays hot.
Maybe I should stay with that Lucas AT treatment I have been using.

The gauge I used was from McMaster Carr it was not expensive but it was supposed to be accurate. I had it on the outside of the AT outlet pipe wrapped with insulation to get the tube temperature. This is a method that isn't off by more than 2 or 3 degrees. The TC lock-up kicked right in where it was supposed.

It worked for several year and then died. The durability was not so great.

I am jealous yours is in the pan

Take care
John
Old 06-04-2007, 05:58 PM

Registered SVX
Cooler Location

If the cooler is in front of the condenser it is 100% effective. If it is between the radiator & condenser it is 75% effective. My temp sensor is in the Perma Cool filter mount (ATF coming out of trans) it is a cheap electric sensor, temp runs 90 to 100 degrees over ambient in hot weather, 75 to 90 degrees over ambient in cool weather. Sensor is 8 years old.
Old 06-05-2007, 01:40 PM

Registered SVX
Arrow Synthetic ATF

If you havent already do so now. Amsoil Synthetic ATF is what you need. Its great stuff, over 300k miles in my AT AWD Legacy Wagon on it, and still shifts perfect. Nuff said.
Old 06-05-2007, 03:11 PM

Registered SVX
Quote:
Originally Posted by SVX92-97
If you havent already do so now. Amsoil Synthetic ATF is what you need. Its great stuff, over 300k miles in my AT AWD Legacy Wagon on it, and still shifts perfect. Nuff said.
Who are you replying to? Have you tried Royal Purple synthetic ATF? Also, I change the ATF spin on filter every 7000 miles.
Old 06-05-2007, 06:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SVX92-97
... over 300k miles in my AT AWD Legacy Wagon on it, and still shifts perfect. Nuff said.
Well I have 256k on the original ATF that came in my 97 Legacy. That includes a few years as my autocrosser and even more years of beating the snot out of it daily. Only in the past 500 miles have the AWD clutches started binding, but it still shifts like a dream.