How-To Documents
Message Archive
SVX Shop Search
IRC users:

Go Back   The Subaru SVX World Network > SVX Main Forums > Technical Q & A
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-15-2007, 12:22 AM

Strange CEL Light

Here is a wierd one. . .when I park my car on a hill facing up hill or if the hill is leaning left or right, I satrt my car up and my CEL is on. I shut it off and turn the key to start twice and start it up, its off. Anything to that? I mean it runs fine but just thought it was a bit strange.
Old 05-15-2007, 02:12 AM

Registered SVX
Quote:
Originally Posted by Back IN Black
Here is a wierd one. . .when I park my car on a hill facing up hill or if the hill is leaning left or right, I satrt my car up and my CEL is on. I shut it off and turn the key to start twice and start it up, its off. Anything to that? I mean it runs fine but just thought it was a bit strange.
"I shut it off and turn the key to start twice". Under the circumstances described, do you always have to crank the engine twice before it will start?

In order to progress towards an answer, you will need to read out the fault code at a time when it is recorded. For details refer to the "How Too" Section. Not a prospect that will excite you.

As a child, on cold mornings I gladly stood in cowpats to warm my bare feet, but I detest bull$hit!
Old 05-15-2007, 02:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trevor
"I shut it off and turn the key to start twice". Under the circumstances described, do you always have to crank the engine twice before it will start?

In order to progress towards an answer, you will need to read out the fault code at a time when it is recorded. For details refer to the "How Too" Section. Not a prospect that will excite you.
I dont have to crank the engine. just turn the key twice til it stops without actually cranking the engine. Like I said, Its not a huge deal and the car runs fine. Just embarassing when I start up my car and have to shut it off , clear the code ,and restart it.
Old 05-15-2007, 02:45 AM

Registered SVX
Quote:
I dont have to crank the engine. just turn the key twice til it stops without actually cranking the engine. Like I said, Its not a huge deal and the car runs fine. Just embarassing when I start up my car and have to shut it off , clear the code ,and restart it.
Code registers only when car is at an angle and can be cleared while remaining at that angle. Surely an intermittent fault or false indication. Fluid level sensor? something sometimes loose? BLACK majic.

P.S. OOps Sorry! the last words may amount to a political blunder in "correctness" !

As a child, on cold mornings I gladly stood in cowpats to warm my bare feet, but I detest bull$hit!

Last edited by Trevor; 05-15-2007 at 02:49 AM.
Old 05-15-2007, 04:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trevor
Fluid level sensor? : BLACK majic.

P.S. OOps Sorry! the last words may amount to a political blunder in "correctness" !
I thought it might be a fluid one too. As I said. . .not a huge deal. Thanks though!

2000 Mustang GT
NOT stock 450 rwhp
Old 05-15-2007, 04:44 AM

Registered SVX
Quote:
I thought it might be a fluid one too. As I said. . .not a huge deal. Thanks though!
As you also have this same thought, could you be referring to the brake indicator warning light. The level switch in the top of the fluid reservoir, is a known gremlin.

Cheers, Trevor.

Old 05-15-2007, 05:23 AM

Why haven't you checked what the code is?
Old 05-15-2007, 08:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cdvs
Why haven't you checked what the code is?
I just got the car a few weeks ago and money is tight to go get it checked at a garage right now. Sounds dumb I know. I am gonna check the fluid levels this afternoon. Been busy trying to get the Mustang done

2000 Mustang GT
NOT stock 450 rwhp
Old 05-15-2007, 02:29 PM
Either committed, or should be

Send a message via ICQ to thumper_svx Send a message via Yahoo to thumper_svx
Registered SVX
Go to the FAQ/HOWTO section... you can read codes without a scanner in the car. It has it's own "output mode" for codes.

My Rides:
Red 1996 SVX LSi (Saffron)
2007 Yamaha FJR1300 (Kaitlin)

Previously owned; green '95 L AWD (sold), black/pearlie '94 LSi (too many problems), Polo Green '96 SVX LSi (apparently notThe end of an era)

Member #2 in the Yahoo! club, been here since the beta-testing days. In dire need of a cheaper hobby.