Live Chat!
SVX or Subaru Links
Old Lockers
Photo Post
How-To Documents
Message Archive
SVX Shop Search
IRC users:

Go Back   The Subaru SVX World Network > SVX Main Forums > MOD Mania > Other Mods

Old 05-15-2007, 09:44 AM
Yeah, I'm still around

Awww, thanks Bill. Sweet of you to say

Yes on the camber caster plates, especially if they give me the travel that I lost lowering the car back. Have you looked at the generic Ground Control plates?

Nice score on the tires BTW!
Old 06-18-2007, 03:09 PM
Yeah, I'm still around

Another thrash

followed by a weekend of autoX and Solo trials. Did the 60K service minus plugs (a bit late at 68k) and installed a Perrin lightweight crank pulley I got cheap. Had a bear of a time getting the crank pulley off until I made a tool that worked as I didn't want to try the breaker bar and starter method Finished at 10:30 Friday night and drove until 2:30 to reach the hotel and course site.

I'm getting discouraged with the SVX as an autoX vehicle in STX as WRX's routinely whip my butt. The car is cornering much flatter now with the 450 lbs/in front springs and (leaking) Koni inserts. A friend pointed out that the car is sooo long it makes cornering a challenge. I am routinely beaten by better than 4 to 5 seconds and I'm trying to decide to continue to invest in this platform (harnesses coming and I'm thinking about seats and better tires) or move on to something else. G stock Mini's make that a difficult class and all the wheels and tires I have are 17's. I can't stomach gutting this car as it is still so nice (I'm racing the 95L). I need to re-read the class rules but am wondering if I ever complete my manual swap which I *believe* puts me in SM what I might be able to do???

In the end, just venting and pondering.

BTW-Solo trials are high speed solo events (think 75-80mph) and here is a pic from yesterday

Todd

Last edited by wawazat??; 06-18-2007 at 03:28 PM.
Old 06-18-2007, 04:15 PM
Just some dude.

Significant Technical Input
I don't think you should get discouraged with it. You like the car, right? Just realize you need to make real and substantial modifications to the car to make it perform like you want.
Old 06-18-2007, 04:34 PM
Headed to Texas...

Quote:
Originally Posted by wawazat??

Todd

Wow....that is a beautiful pic! How could you consider driving something else??

jnj7707@yahoo.com
Old 06-18-2007, 04:35 PM
Freezepop's are Awesome!!!!
Subaru Silver Contributor

Send a message via AIM to Hocrest
Nice shot of the car...

Yeah, the SVX has a tough time being competitive in the various classes available to it
A 5-spd will move you to FP or SM. If you follow us into FP, you can leave your car as complete as you want, but without the weight savings, good luck... If you go SM then you are also open to engine mods, but in our region I figure we'd need 300+ HP at our current weight to be competitive.

Trying to class ourselves for hills is even harder as AWD is limited to two groupings and we don't fit into either We're going to start off in "Special"
which is pretty much wide open. Last year someone ran a Lola Indy car that they borrowed from Bobby Rahal. They got a 39.000 run on a very twisty 1 mile course
Old 06-18-2007, 06:25 PM

Registered SVX
Good on you Todd,

The object of the exercise is to have fun. You can be sure that your efforts in a less than competitive vehicle are being noticed and are appreciated. There will always be others with more money and better equipment but less able as drivers, who will beat you. Been there many times and it is hugely frustrating.

In the hope of being helpful and constructive rather than being taken as obversely critical, I will comment further with sincerity and in good faith.

It could well be that the photo is not indicative and you may have been caught in a moment of unusual attitude. However it would indicate that you are driving the car via the steering wheel, rather than feeling it through the seat of your pants and conducting it via the controls. You should be laid back relaxed, in complete contact with the seat as part of the car.

Ride it, rather than drive it, conduct it rather than push it is the operative idea. The steering wheel and hands should be outside of the thought process while driving.

As a child, on cold mornings I gladly stood in cowpats to warm my bare feet, but I detest bull$hit!
Old 06-18-2007, 07:05 PM
Meow!

Send a message via ICQ to Earthworm Send a message via AIM to Earthworm Send a message via MSN to Earthworm Send a message via Yahoo to Earthworm Send a message via Skype™ to Earthworm
As long as you're having fun, Todd, that's what counts the most. As for improving your times, tighten the loose nut behind the wheel

I'd recommend having someone who is consistently in the top 10 PAX take your car around the course (preferably after competing if possible). They should be able to pull off as good or better time than you. This will give you a goal to improve your driving skill.

I did this and the guy ran 1.5 seconds faster than my best time of the day. He never drove my car before that run.
Old 06-18-2007, 08:28 PM
Official AutoX Part Breaker
Subaru Gold Contributor

Registered SVX
Todd!

GS and SM are total dead ends for the SVX
I honestly believe that ESP and FP are the only two classes where the SVX stands any type of chance because you end up running against cars that are ~ the same size (Camaros in ESP). The only issue with ESP in my neck of the woods is that it has multiple National-level drivers in it (yeah, Sam Strano won ESP last year, but has moved to FS ).
I think you're doing all the right things. Why not give ESP a shot your next time out?
-Bill

Most famous NASA "Child" - OSIRIS-REx delivered samples from asteroid BENNU to Earth in Sept. 2023

Center Network Member #989

'92 Fully caged, 5 speed, waiting for its fully built EG33
'92 "Test Mule", 4:44 Auto, JDM 4:44 Rear Diff with Mech LSD, Tuned headers, Full one-off suspension
'92(?) Laguna, 6 spd and other stuff (still at OT's place)
My Locker
Old 06-18-2007, 08:48 PM
Maniac modifier

Registered SVX Classic SVX
Todd.... take your ride height up a good inch on all 4 corners... she will handle MUCH better... You can also pick up an 04+ wrx 5mt and replace the center diff with a cusco 35front 65 rear bias to make the car really perform well in the auto-x. You are stuck in SM because of the coilovers so u might as well get a 5sp or 6spd in it

Tom
Old 06-19-2007, 02:25 AM
Ever Vigilant He Never Sleeps.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ensteele
The mods sound great. It always feels so good when you finally get around to doing some needed work on the car when you know it should have been done way before now.
^^ what he said
Old 06-19-2007, 02:27 AM
Ever Vigilant He Never Sleeps.

Quote:
Originally Posted by wawazat??

Todd
might i add, very sexy car mang?
Old 06-19-2007, 06:28 AM
Yeah, I'm still around

Thanks for the input everyone! I'm pondering a bunch of life changes and the SVX is caught in the flux. We'll see.

Jerry and Harry-that's my favorite shot but I do have more in my locker from this event. Should have washed the car that morning

LAN and Tom-thanks for the encouragement. I've made some changes but as you stated, they must be more substantial to excel. The leaking Koni's are upsetting and I need to get them straightened out. I will try lifting the car a bit as she has been cornering on the bumpstops (the wrong way to increase spring rate I know). Coli-overs themselves do not put you automatically in to SM. STX allows for them as well. Not sure which direction or car to move forward with. Staying with the SVX for autoX to me means significant cost adders and more custom bits. By the time I look at seats and harnesses, strut tops/camber bolts/rear lateral links, and new tires I'm at well over an additional $2500. I'm trying to decide to stay with this platform and it's quirks and limitations or move in to something else. Either way a massive sell-off and parts give-away is in my mind at this time.

Dave and Bill -I was looking for some classing insight from you guys, thanks. Detroit region runs separate sub-classes when using street tires instead of race rubber where allowed. My times in this car as currently set-up put me very close to if not leading the T(street tire)SM class. Food for thought. Not a national class, but still could be fun to be more competitive. Regular SM top level guys here all tralier their cars. Then again, the top STX guys all trailer their cars too. Maybe that's the missing link???

David-I'd love to get some feedback from more qualified drivers, but our regions events are typically so full that we rarely offer fun runs. Many days I've been on-site for 10-11 hours. I will keep it in mind as it is a great idea.

Trevor-thanks for the sage advice. I have no on-track experience and this event was far faster than the typical autoX here in the states. This shot was taken on my first run while accelerating through the longest straight (I was at approx. 75-78mph at this point) approaching the first turn. I was a bit apprehensive as you've noticed . I also don't fit well in the car while helmeted as I'm too tall (another reason for the replacement seats). I feel I need to muscle the car around due to the still significant understeer and I was ready to try and toss her around. I was able to cut significant time (2.5 seconds on a mid-50 second course) off my later runs where I was more comfortable with the speeds and how the car would react. Did experience some nice controlled slip around the first big sweeper. Nerve racking at first but more enjoyable later in the day

Thanks for the out-pouring of support here. I'm going to analyze some of this years class times and the rule book this weekend...assuming I don't rallyX her on Saturday

Last edited by wawazat??; 06-19-2007 at 09:20 AM.
Old 06-19-2007, 06:29 AM
Yeah, I'm still around

Quote:
Originally Posted by Noir
might i add, very sexy car mang?
Thanks Harry. I'm liking the green and gold scheme.
Old 06-19-2007, 07:53 AM
Maniac modifier

Registered SVX Classic SVX
Todd... That why I mentioned the center diff... IF you switch to a rear bias, the car will slightly oversteer to the point of controlling it is a simple function of the gas pedal.... Thats also another 100#'s off the car Just food for thought.... next time we meet u need to drive the silver in order to understand how well the SVX handles with a rear bias

Tom
Old 06-19-2007, 02:16 PM
Meow!

Send a message via ICQ to Earthworm Send a message via AIM to Earthworm Send a message via MSN to Earthworm Send a message via Yahoo to Earthworm Send a message via Skype™ to Earthworm
You could also come to Winnipeg and try a 5spd in the local auto-x