Live Chat!
SVX or Subaru Links
Old Lockers
Photo Post
How-To Documents
Message Archive
SVX Shop Search
IRC users:

Go Back   The Subaru SVX World Network > SVX Main Forums > MOD Mania > Other Mods

Old 01-29-2007, 07:48 PM
Banned
Subaru Gold Contributor

Send a message via AIM to Budfreak
Quote:
Originally Posted by TomsSVX
My silver is up an running. I just never drive it esp this time of year.

Tom
Awesome! Didn't know you got the new motor in. I can't wait to see it and take a ride man. I wish Road Demon could be there.
Old 02-01-2007, 11:27 PM

I'm gone a couple days and everyone posts a bunch O messages. I didn't think these things went fatser than a high 14 with mods (n/a cars). Since power is hard to get out of the motor without much money, what is a good way to loose weight? I have a 84 GL wagon / a 69 hp single barrel and 5pd which is light enough to be a fun car to flog. It's only fun because it is light weight. at 180k I would like to dyno it and take it to the strip.. Now that would be worth a laugh.
Old 02-02-2007, 01:49 AM

Registered SVX
Quote:
Originally Posted by svxistentialist
Those small turbodiesels I'm thinking of, like the Alfa 159 1.9/150hp or 2.4/200hp,
http://www.honestjohn.co.uk/road_tests/index.htm?id=203
they actually have six speeds. Kerb weight around 3300-3500 lbs.
Just for comparison:

SVX --3580lbs--230hp@5.4K --228nm@4.4K ---0-60 7.3s-- 1/4 in 15.4
1.9jtd-3300lbs--150hp@4K --320nm@2K --0-60 9.1s --1/4 ?
2.4jtd-3520lbs--200hp@4K --400nm@2K --0-60 8.1s --1/4 ?

Like all diesels, they are slow off the mark, but they could haul a$$ for America once rolling.

The part that needs to be taken note of are the torque figures;
SVX 228@ 4500 rpm
2.4 jtd 400@ 2000 rpm

Torque is a measure of the twisting moment at the crank and thus at the wheels = ability to shift weight in a hurry = whooooooshhh!!

The 0-60 figures don't tell the whole story here. Even a well driven [including you, Trevor ] SVX would get it hard to shake one of these off its tail, and might even come second with a suitably skilled driver in the 2.4 td.

The SVX needs either 200kgs [450lbs] off its lardy butt or 100 hp more under the hood to keep the crown shiny and the proles back in the distance.

Joe
Joe, on the basis of the figures that you quote, you in a diesel would not have a dogs show. The 0 - 60 figures do tell the story, and the idea that high torque will win the day is not correct. Torque at the wheels is dependent on horsepower, not engine torque, and this is what relates to overall performance.

The diesels would completely run out of puff, when the SVX was moving to the top of its very flat power band. At the time diesels were trying to use available engine torque, the SVX would have more horses on tap, at higher RPM and therefore more torque at the wheels.

RPM X Torque = HP. Power is power and a gear reduction can translate this into torque. Torque at low RPM can not win, when more power is available at higher RPM, to provide superior final torque via gearing.

Ask any cyclist. Also witness the rough idling stuff on a starting grid, which very quickly, goes very fast.

Betcha, Trevor.

As a child, on cold mornings I gladly stood in cowpats to warm my bare feet, but I detest bull$hit!
Old 02-02-2007, 04:29 AM
Jersey Girl
Alcyone Gold Contributor

Send a message via Skype™ to svxistentialist
Registered SVX
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trevor
Joe, on the basis of the figures that you quote, you in a diesel would not have a dogs show. The 0 - 60 figures do tell the story, and the idea that high torque will win the day is not correct. Torque at the wheels is dependent on horsepower, not engine torque, and this is what relates to overall performance.

The diesels would completely run out of puff, when the SVX was moving to the top of its very flat power band. At the time diesels were trying to use available engine torque, the SVX would have more horses on tap, at higher RPM and therefore more torque at the wheels.

RPM X Torque = HP. Power is power and a gear reduction can translate this into torque. Torque at low RPM can not win, when more power is available at higher RPM, to provide superior final torque via gearing.

Ask any cyclist. Also witness the rough idling stuff on a starting grid, which very quickly, goes very fast.

Betcha, Trevor.

I concede the point.

What I am really making a point about, and I have a large collection of articles about the SVX, [both positive and negative in outlook] to underline it, is that the SVX does not have a load of power in hand these days over more mundane machinery.

It looks fast, but it isn't really.

I'm not suggesting it is a sluggard from A to B, I'm not suggesting it is not capable of putting a smile on your face, I'm a committed fan as we know and it is streets in front of most pretenders.

It just needs another 100hp is all I'm saying.

Joe
White X2 RVR Mitsubishi 1800GDI. Vantastic

40,000 miles Jersey Girl
Old 02-02-2007, 05:19 AM

Send a message via AIM to mikecg Send a message via Yahoo to mikecg
Well, Tom and myself (and a couple others) are pushing that extra 100HP. As for tack performance, there are alot of factors that you need to add into your equations. Like traction. I'm running low 14's. I've lined up beside a 12 second 240sx. Because of gearing, low rpm boost, and traction I could hole shot him so much that he didnt come past me until about the 1000ft mark. My 60ft times are around 1.8
Old 02-02-2007, 07:14 AM
Maniac modifier

Registered SVX Classic SVX
Now that the shadow is running well again really wanna try and cut a 1.7 60 ft.... slingshot baby!!!

Tom
Old 02-02-2007, 08:41 AM

Send a message via AIM to mikecg Send a message via Yahoo to mikecg
Might want to try slicks then. If I lauched any harder then I did with the 1.8, all I got was wheel spin, and a time abovw 2.0.