Go Back   The Subaru SVX World Network > SVX Main Forums > Technical Q & A

Old 11-17-2006, 06:08 AM
Super Moderator
Alcyone Gold Contributor

Significant Technical Input Registered SVX Classic SVX
Quote:
Originally Posted by It's Just Eric
The alcyone tailbar is the JDM bar. Theres an intresting bit of history there:
The constalation on the subaru emblem is Palades. The biggest (brightest) star is the star Alcyone. The SVX was supposed to be Subaru's flagship, so to speak...
Eric, clearing up some information.

Why does the Subaru badge only have six stars?

(This is part of an article on the history of Subaru)

Ken Takeuchi from Japan has provided this background for the star emblem: "Mutsura-Boshi", which means "six gathered stars" or "unite". The star SUBARU even appears in the lyrics written more than 1000 years ago. The word has some romantic feelings to the Japanese.

Before WWII, the maker of SUBARU cars, Fuji Heavy Industries (FHI), was known as Nakajima Aircraft, which made many fighters and bombers. Even the famous Mitsubishi Zero fighter had a Nakajima 14 cylinder engine. After the war, the company was forced to spread into 15 companies to cut the strength of the huge weapon industry.

In the early 1950s, five of the original companies gathered into one again to restart as a transportation company. That was FHI and that's why there are five little stars and one big star.

Credit for naming the company goes to Kenja Kita, the first President of Fuji Heavy Industries, who christened the company resulting from the break up of the old Nakajima Aircraft Company, Kita saw this unique name as the ideal symbols to express the unification of these 5 Fuji companies:

Automotive
Industrial Engines
Rolling stock and Special Vehicles
Buses
Aircraft

The present SUBARU emblem represents the company structure, rather than the original
star cluster image."

Alcyone is the brightest star in the Pleiades constellation (also known as the "seven sisters"). Starting in the mid-1980's, Subaru decided to develop an advanced and unique sports coupe. They gave it the name Alcyone as the brightest, technological flagship of their company

From 1985-1991, they produced the Subaru XT (known in Japan as the 4WD Alcyone VR and the FWD Alcyone VS

From 1988-1991, they produced the Subaru XT6 (known in Japan as the Alcyone VR. After 1991 production stopped and it was replaced by the next generation high-performance luxury sports coupe, the Alcyone SVX. Both of these cars were badged as Subaru for the U.S. market.

The SVX was Subaru's final attempt at a sports coupe, and the Alcyone name was not used again.

1996 Polo Green LSi #216..138,100 miles...SOLD

JFICX8659TH100216.....Date of Manufacture: November 16, 1995.....
Fuji Heavy Industries..Ōta North Plant....Ōta City,. Gunma Prefecture, Japan

In-Service Date: January 2, 1997

"The Pristine Green Polo Machine”
First Polo Green on the Network
First Clear front turn signals, JDM Alcyone hood emblem, rear panel, and BOXER engine cover on the Network (US) (2000)
First 5000K HID factory fog lights (2007)
First SVX JDM BBS wheels on a USDM SVX (2013)

HID lighting (5000K) for headlight and H3 fog lights, PIAA SuperExtreme 120W high beams, rebuilt EG33 longblock, Cometic head gaskets, Phase II flexplate, AMR aluminum radiator with custom silicone hoses, 160A high-output alternator in aluminum-ceramic coated case, new design alternator wiring upgrade v.4, rare factory headlight protectors, refinished JDM BBS mesh aluminum wheels and custom, polished billet aluminum new hex center caps, LED grille mod, R1 Concepts high-carbon cryo slotted rotors, Akebono ceramic pads, Goodridge S/S braided brake lines, Smallcar Stage 1 shift kit, ThermalTech aluminum/ceramic-coated valve covers, Energy Suspension urethane front & rear swaybar bushings, Bontrager22 rear swaybar with QS Components Chromoly Teflon/Kevlar endlinks, "$15.00/5 minute" suspension mod. Hella Supertone horns, Custom stainless steel exhaust system with 2" headpipes, Magnaflow cats, AeroTurbine AR25 resonator /AWD "Bullet" muffler.

R.I.P. 2010 Subaru Outback Limited 2.5 CVT...338,000 miles. Totaled by a 1,300 lb. COW March 4, 2016

2014 Hyundai Avante Limited ...178,000 miles. Actually quieter and smoother than the Outback

2007 Mazda Miata MX-5 PRHT...102,000 miles.
Plenty of parts, service and windshields.

4th Registered Network member —2/21/2001

My NEW locker..I...My Email..I..Wikipedia/SVX .

Last edited by svxcess; 11-17-2006 at 06:53 AM.
Old 11-17-2006, 09:14 AM
<-- custom hood ornament

Send a message via AIM to AlcyoneDaze Send a message via Yahoo to AlcyoneDaze
Whoa, awesome information on this car, but how do you pronounce "Acylone"?
JDM 'ALCYONE' Rear Panel
JDM 'BOXER' Eingngine Cover
JDM 'SVX' Hood Badge
L-Edition Suede Rear Seats
Old 11-17-2006, 09:40 AM
It's just a phase

Send a message via Yahoo to msvx95
Registered SVX
I think it's pronounced Al See One
Old 11-17-2006, 09:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlcyoneDaze
Whoa, awesome information on this car, but how do you pronounce "Acylone"?
It might help a little if you could spell it correctly.
But according to Merriam-Webster it's pronounced on this page http://www.m-w.com/cgi-bin/dictionar...ary&va=Alcyone

Being a Brit I would pronounce it Al-Ki-o-ne, but why not ask a Greek person?
I often say that when you can measure what you are speaking about, and express it in numbers, you know something about it; but when you cannot measure it, when you cannot express it in numbers, your knowledge is of a meagre and unsatisfactory kind; it may be the beginning of knowledge, but you have scarcely in your thoughts advanced to the state of Science, whatever the matter may be.
Sir William Thomson
Old 11-17-2006, 11:40 AM
Meow!

Send a message via ICQ to Earthworm Send a message via AIM to Earthworm Send a message via MSN to Earthworm Send a message via Yahoo to Earthworm Send a message via Skype™ to Earthworm
From dictionary.com:
al-sahy-uh-nee
Old 11-17-2006, 03:19 PM

Registered SVX
Quote:
Originally Posted by Earthworm
From dictionary.com:
al-sahy-uh-nee
As with most things, an authority is available within this network. PM fellow Kiwi, paddlesnz. He has spent time in Japan teaching English and is fluent in Japanese.

As a child, on cold mornings I gladly stood in cowpats to warm my bare feet, but I detest bull$hit!
Old 11-17-2006, 08:36 PM
Maniac modifier

Registered SVX Classic SVX
There is an exhaust shop in/around Trenton that does AMAZING work... PM shotgunslade or TE1221... They know what they are called and where they are. I have worked on both of their cars and their exhaust systems are top notch.

As for Eric's stupid idea about a trans cooler... Yeah don't waste you $50...

Get a 5 speed

Tom
Old 11-18-2006, 02:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trevor
As with most things, an authority is available within this network. PM fellow Kiwi, paddlesnz. He has spent time in Japan teaching English and is fluent in Japanese.
I'd never thought about it that way round, (i.e how a Japanese person would pronounce a Greek name) it just shows how inflexible my brain is getting these days.
I often say that when you can measure what you are speaking about, and express it in numbers, you know something about it; but when you cannot measure it, when you cannot express it in numbers, your knowledge is of a meagre and unsatisfactory kind; it may be the beginning of knowledge, but you have scarcely in your thoughts advanced to the state of Science, whatever the matter may be.
Sir William Thomson
Old 11-29-2006, 08:36 AM
<-- custom hood ornament

Okay, another question:

I was considering running a ZEX dry kit (50 shot). Can I make this work with absolutely no other mods besides upgrading to platinum spark plugs and running 94 octane?
JDM 'ALCYONE' Rear Panel
JDM 'SVX' Hood Badge
Old 11-29-2006, 10:23 AM
Maniac modifier

you want iridium plugs... Platinums will melt with nitrous... I would say a heat range 7 iridium work be perfect for daily driving and having a fun shot of N20. Call your local car parts store and order the NGK iridiums for the SVX but one heat range colder Stock is 8, you want 7's

Tom
Old 11-29-2006, 10:36 AM

Lightbulb You just might want to...

...hold off on the nitrous until you get everything else in PWO (perfect working order) but based upon your description of the overall condition of the car and recent repairs for $3G's it would sound like a pretty good buy, IMHO.

Cheers!

p.s. I am shocked to hear that the NJ area has "the most" SVX's: would have sworn that would be a "Left Coast" thang!
' 87 F250 @ 180K
' 93 ZX-11D @ 29K
' 93 SC400 @ 93K
2001 Valkyrie Interstate @ 6.6K (Brynhild)
Y2K NightHawk 250 @ 1,500 miles
' 88 420SEL II. @ 208K
'85 F150 @ 135K
Old 11-29-2006, 02:03 PM
Maniac modifier

its all my fault

Tom
Old 11-29-2006, 03:01 PM
Alcyone Gold Contributor

The exhaust shop is called Mufflex. They are in Hamilton, NJ.

94 LS-i Emerald Pearl, 106,xxx,; 246 whp; Tomyx snorkus and HKS Cold air intake; PWR aluminum radiator, silicone hoses; Inline thermostat; enhanced coolant routing; external power steering and oil coolers; Phenolic intake manifold spacers; 2004 WRX 5 speed transmission; ACT Clutch Kit, Heavy Duty Pressure Plate, Lightweight flywheel, performance disc; Group N motor mounts; ‘07 WRX 4-pot front calipers, cryo-treated slotted Tribeca rotors; Hawk HPS ferro-carbon pads; Frozenrotor rear slotted rotors; SS brake lines, Axxis Ultimate pads; Rota Torque 17x8 wheels; 245/40-17 Bridgestone RE01-R's; Koni inserts with Ground Control coilovers, Eibach springs; K-Mac camber/caster adjustable strut mounts; Urethane swaybar bushings; Bontrager rear sway bar; Urethane differential bushing; Custom Whiteline adjustable rear lateral links; Outlaw Engineering forged underdrive pulley; custom grind Web intake and exhaust cams (11 mm lift, 250° duration); solid lifters; CP custom aluminum forged 11 to 1 pistons, Brian Crower coated SS intake & exhaust valves; Brian Crower upgraded springs w/ titanium retainers; NGK sparkplugs; RallyBob (Bob Legere) ported and polished cylinder heads; Eagle H-beam rods; ACL Bearings; Cometic Head gaskets; ARP head studs & fasteners; Hydra Nemesis EMS; Wideband O2 sensor; 740cc Injectors; Walbro 255lph fuel pump; Upgraded WRX starter; Equal length SS headers (3 into 1); dual Magnaflow cat converters; 2 into 1 into 2 SS exhaust with Bullet muffler; OT Fiberglass hood; Oil pressure gauge; Programmable shift light,

2017 Subaru Forester XT, metallic dark gray, 29,xxx

2005 Porsche 911 Turbo S Cabrio, 24,xxx

2006 Subaru Outback LL Bean, 166,xxx sold

92 LSL Dark Teal, Smallcar Shift Kit - sold
Old 11-30-2006, 08:21 AM
<-- custom hood ornament

Thats right by me...

Seeing an SVX in NJ is not too rare.. a lot of people I show the car to actually know what they are. I see one in the opposite lane everyday coming home from work on Route 80 (blue w/ black roof).

Few more n00b questions:

I just changed my oil, but not the filter - do I have to use the OEM Subaru oil filter? same question applies to a new air filter element, which is black and grimy beyond all recognition.

Oh, and whenever I go into PWR mode, afterwards when I open the hood, the dipstick is popped up and isnt held in - is this really bad? I was gonna hold it on with a clip
JDM 'ALCYONE' Rear Panel
JDM 'SVX' Hood Badge
Old 11-30-2006, 03:58 PM

Registered SVX
Quote:
Originally Posted by AlcyoneDaze
Thats right by me...

Seeing an SVX in NJ is not too rare.. a lot of people I show the car to actually know what they are. I see one in the opposite lane everyday coming home from work on Route 80 (blue w/ black roof).

Few more n00b questions:

I just changed my oil, but not the filter - do I have to use the OEM Subaru oil filter? same question applies to a new air filter element, which is black and grimy beyond all recognition.

Oh, and whenever I go into PWR mode, afterwards when I open the hood, the dipstick is popped up and isnt held in - is this really bad? I was gonna hold it on with a clip
There are many brands of equivalent oil filters but in this neck of the woods only Subaru air filter elements. There will be many here who will tell you to install something different in the way of a filter. I do not.

Your dip stick problem would indicate poor crankcase breathing/ventilation and you should suspect a blocked PCV valve or a fault in associated hoses. A huge amount has been published here on this subject and you should carry out a search.

As a child, on cold mornings I gladly stood in cowpats to warm my bare feet, but I detest bull$hit!