SVX Shop Search
IRC users:

Go Back   The Subaru SVX World Network > SVX Main Forums > Technical Q & A

Old 10-28-2006, 05:23 PM
Missing in action

Send a message via AIM to It's Just Eric
Registered SVX
Strange electrical problem

Right now i'm battling an elusive electrical gremlin. The symtoms are pretty easy to describe...When I turn the key to start the car, nothing happens. the starter doesnt turn at all, not even a click. Theres no electrical sounding noises at all. The lights go dim when I turn they key, but thats about the only indication that anything is happening.the battery has a full charge. My guess is that power is either somehow not getting to the starter, or possibly I have a bad ignition.

my guess as of right now is the ignition. All the wires to the starter are securely bolted into place, and all the grounds connected.also, the key seems to fit rather loosely in the ignition. Actually, I have a key to my other svx on my keychain that happens to be a similar cut as mine, so for laughs I tried it. It not only went all the way in, but also turned to start (with the same failed results as with the correct key)
Any suggestions? Im not exactly an electrical genious, so any guidance is appreciated. Is the ignition a likely cause? Where else should I start in diagnosing the problem?
Thanks in advance,
-Eric
You're gone but not forgotten. I mean, sure, I kindof don't remember some of the finer details..but I remember you were funny, and at one point you said spaghetti in Dutch....but definantly not forgotten

Old 10-28-2006, 06:04 PM

It's called the Starter Solinoid. Biggest ***** to ever figure out for the life of me.
Old 10-28-2006, 08:13 PM
Maniac modifier

Registered SVX Classic SVX
Eric, pop the steering column plastic off and check to be sure the ignition switch is mounted tightly against the ignition cylinder... I had mine pop off in the teal and she would no start... took me forever to figure it out I even changed the starter out...

Tom
Old 10-28-2006, 08:26 PM
Missing in action

Registered SVX
calling now....
You're gone but not forgotten. I mean, sure, I kindof don't remember some of the finer details..but I remember you were funny, and at one point you said spaghetti in Dutch....but definantly not forgotten

Old 10-28-2006, 11:42 PM

Registered SVX
Quote:
Originally Posted by It's Just Eric
Right now i'm battling an elusive electrical gremlin. The symtoms are pretty easy to describe...When I turn the key to start the car, nothing happens. the starter doesnt turn at all, not even a click. Theres no electrical sounding noises at all. The lights go dim when I turn they key, but thats about the only indication that anything is happening.the battery has a full charge. My guess is that power is either somehow not getting to the starter, or possibly I have a bad ignition.

my guess as of right now is the ignition. All the wires to the starter are securely bolted into place, and all the grounds connected.also, the key seems to fit rather loosely in the ignition. Actually, I have a key to my other svx on my keychain that happens to be a similar cut as mine, so for laughs I tried it. It not only went all the way in, but also turned to start (with the same failed results as with the correct key)
Any suggestions? Im not exactly an electrical genious, so any guidance is appreciated. Is the ignition a likely cause? Where else should I start in diagnosing the problem?
Thanks in advance,
-Eric
Specifically you state the lights go dim, I gather when you turn the key to the start position, which means that there is a connection being made and substantial current is being passed. The important criteria being that you are certain there is no associated sound and you are sure that the battery is sound.

If the dimming of the lights is what you normally experience and there is not the normal sound of the solenoid engaging, this could indicate a mechanically seized solenoid but the solenoid would have to be closed for the starter to draw the sort of current normally required to dim the lights.

The alternative is a partial short circuit bypassing current and preventing the solenoid closing and also dimming the lights. This could involve shorted turns within the solenoid, but an unlikely fault.

However the more likely and simpler explanation is a faulty battery connections or battery, contrary to what you report.

Simple logical electrical testing with a test light will locate the problem. If you wish to proceed with what is involved after further consideration, shout.

As a child, on cold mornings I gladly stood in cowpats to warm my bare feet, but I detest bull$hit!
Old 10-29-2006, 04:53 PM
Missing in action

Registered SVX
New symptoms:
Theres a batterey idiot light that is on when the keys arent in the ignition

Otherwise, nothing's changed. I went to the lot I had it parked overnight at,put the key in and fired it right up. Strange for a problem to simply go away without anything changing. So I drove it all day today, making stops here and there, even managed to fix my power steering pump and take it on a much deserved backroads cruise. I had to stop at my friend's houseto drop off some tools and bam, it refuses to start again. I fiddled with the ignition switch, and it does seem loose, but the screw for it is inaccesable. Pushing it in with my fingers while trying to start it has no effect. For ****s and giggles I pulled engine codes and came up with like...4 things...which is strange because everything is and sincemy engine swap, has been in good working order. Could there be a ground that is common to multiple sensor wires that has gone bonkers? could my ignition still be screwed up? Is there a relay in the main fuse box that could be malfunctioning?
Id like to figure out what the hell is wrong with this car, rather than add it to the list of fwd barcelona red L models with electrical problems being parted out (Seems likeaminor trend theese days)

Old 10-29-2006, 07:17 PM
Maniac modifier

Registered SVX Classic SVX
Eric, check the ground on the back of the pass side of the intake manifold... This usually send tons of **** arie

Tom
Old 10-29-2006, 08:35 PM
Banned
Subaru Gold Contributor

Send a message via AIM to Budfreak
Quote:
New symptoms:
Theres a batterey idiot light that is on when the keys arent in the ignition

Otherwise, nothing's changed. I went to the lot I had it parked overnight at,put the key in and fired it right up. Strange for a problem to simply go away without anything changing. So I drove it all day today, making stops here and there, even managed to fix my power steering pump and take it on a much deserved backroads cruise. I had to stop at my friend's houseto drop off some tools and bam, it refuses to start again. I fiddled with the ignition switch, and it does seem loose, but the screw for it is inaccesable. Pushing it in with my fingers while trying to start it has no effect. For ****s and giggles I pulled engine codes and came up with like...4 things...which is strange because everything is and sincemy engine swap, has been in good working order. Could there be a ground that is common to multiple sensor wires that has gone bonkers? could my ignition still be screwed up? Is there a relay in the main fuse box that could be malfunctioning?
Id like to figure out what the hell is wrong with this car, rather than add it to the list of fwd barcelona red L models with electrical problems being parted out (Seems likeaminor trend theese days)
When this happened to me it turned out to be a corroded positive terminal on the battery. Sometimes it was fine, and other times it would not start and the lights go dim. I cleaned the terminal and it would happen again like 3 or 4 more months later. The last time I cleaned it I sprayed on terminal protector spray and it's been all good ever since. Make sure the wires on the starter and battery are clean and tight, and check all your ground wires too for corrosion or rust.
Old 10-29-2006, 11:09 PM

Registered SVX
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trevor
Specifically you state the lights go dim, I gather when you turn the key to the start position, which means that there is a connection being made and substantial current is being passed. The important criteria being that you are certain there is no associated sound and you are sure that the battery is sound.

If the dimming of the lights is what you normally experience and there is not the normal sound of the solenoid engaging, this could indicate a mechanically seized solenoid but the solenoid would have to be closed for the starter to draw the sort of current normally required to dim the lights.

The alternative is a partial short circuit bypassing current and preventing the solenoid closing and also dimming the lights. This could involve shorted turns within the solenoid, but an unlikely fault.

However the more likely and simpler explanation is a faulty battery connections or battery, contrary to what you report.

Simple logical electrical testing with a test light will locate the problem. If you wish to proceed with what is involved after further consideration, shout.
Please read again and understand what I have detailed. Meantime I apear to have waisted my time.

N.B. Quote ---- However the more likely and simpler explanation is a faulty battery connections or battery, contrary to what you report.----

As a child, on cold mornings I gladly stood in cowpats to warm my bare feet, but I detest bull$hit!
Old 10-30-2006, 01:33 AM

I have a the same problem except that mine is more of a issue when the car is hot. I have pulled the starter apart and got a slight improvement but nothing that lasted. I have check the battery terminals to no advantage. My ignition is stuffed as well. I can hear the solinade attemp to click in but the lights dim and it fails to connect. I have measured the voltage and when it fails to start the the voltage has dropped below 10. Then it comes back up when you stop trying to start. I don't know if it is of help but my car developed the problem after doing 2,000 on hard dirt road that near shock the fillings out of my teeth. I am going to look at what Tom suggested as it sound logical. I just keep clicking the Key and it finally starts.
Tony
1995 - SVX 700,000 K Mine, DMS Struts to lift car 2in. Tyres Wrangler Silent Armor 235/70R16, PBR Radiator. 6 speed with DCCD and R180 rer diff, Heavy duty top strut mounts front and rear. Speedo correction box fitted. New stero (gave up on the old one). Back seat removed and 2 spare tyres fitted for desert driving. ECUTune SC sitting in the box for the next SVX.
1992 - SVX 255 K Wife (Want to stay Married so not allowed to fit SC)
1992 - SVX Pearl with black roof race car roll cauge etc ready to race. Ex Tasman Targa car.
1995 - SVX Green low k mint condiation.
1995 - SVX Rally car, ex Matts car. Now to be used on track.
1992 - SVX red & Black being converted to Mid Engine.
1995 - SVX Red 143,000 bit rough.
Owned 5 others Subaru back to a 1974 1400 GSR.
Old 10-31-2006, 01:12 AM

I plugged voltage meter into the cigarette lighter and have been watching the voltage closly. Today it only played up once and not for long enough to get a handle on what the voltage is doing. I will come back to you after I sewe how it goes tomorrow on a 900 k trip
1995 - SVX 700,000 K Mine, DMS Struts to lift car 2in. Tyres Wrangler Silent Armor 235/70R16, PBR Radiator. 6 speed with DCCD and R180 rer diff, Heavy duty top strut mounts front and rear. Speedo correction box fitted. New stero (gave up on the old one). Back seat removed and 2 spare tyres fitted for desert driving. ECUTune SC sitting in the box for the next SVX.
1992 - SVX Pearl with black roof race car roll cauge etc ready to race. Ex Tasman Targa car.
Old 10-31-2006, 01:40 AM
Freezepop's are Awesome!!!!
Subaru Silver Contributor

Send a message via AIM to Hocrest
Quote:
New symptoms:
Theres a batterey idiot light that is on when the keys arent in the ignition...
When I had this problem, the culprit was cracked insulation on one of the wires leading to the alternator. Might want to give that a check...
Old 10-31-2006, 01:15 PM
95pologreen

Send a message via AIM to Crazypolo95
Hey i just got the same thing start hapending to me. Yeah i have to jumpe the car just to start up. then when i turn off the car it wouldn't start back up agin. I thinking it has to do with the battle. Going to get a new one if it is not the battle them it has to be something more
Old 11-01-2006, 04:15 PM
Missing in action

Registered SVX
Quote:
Originally Posted by trevor
Please read again and understand what I have detailed. Meantime I apear to have waisted my time.

N.B. Quote ---- However the more likely and simpler explanation is a faulty battery connections or battery, contrary to what you report.----
I have checked the battery connections, all seem well. I have also tried 4 diffrent batteries. none work any better or worse.

Quote:
When I had this problem, the culprit was cracked insulation on one of the wires leading to the alternator. Might want to give that a check...
Ill have to check that. It seems to me that the alternator isnt charging the battery enough, or perhaps there is a draw somewhere (Probly that damn little battey light)
Or mabey Im just not driving the car enough, seeing that it might not make it home
Quote:
I have a the same problem except that mine is more of a issue when the car is hot.
Thinking about it, that may be my case as well. When it did it it was after driving it all day, and having it parked overnight would allow time for it to cool....
Id be very intrested to hear your results

Old 11-01-2006, 11:52 PM

I haven't found anything out from reading the voltage so if we think this thing through logically the starter has very few wires to cause problems. The battery earth & postive are direct coupled to the starter and the other wire is the postive that throws the coil in.
There for I will test the small wire by plugging a metter into it to see if it hold voltage when the key is turned to the starter circut. If the voltage stays high then I need to replace the earth & postive leads to the starter because one of the leads may have a bad clamp and we just can't see it.
I will let you know how I go.
Tony