How-To Documents
Message Archive
SVX Shop Search
IRC users:

Go Back   The Subaru SVX World Network > SVX Main Forums > Technical Q & A

Old 03-20-2002, 07:40 PM
CHEYENNE

Spark Plugs! How the heck do I get to em'

I was wondering how the heck do you get to the spark plugs? The old man and I had a go at it one Sat. morning, getting only one out (after removing the battery and stuff) and then finally gave up Sat. night. And the old man can do anything with a car and even he was stumped; he wanted to yank the engine!
Old 03-20-2002, 11:22 PM
Not as old as Randy

Significant Technical Input
You were close, yank the batt and the air box. There are 'through plugs' from the wheel wells that allow access to the plugs. Lotsa fun!

Beav
Old 03-21-2002, 06:40 AM

Send a message via AIM to kuoh
Beav, you've had to actually use those? Well, I guess the holes would make things easier if the engine was hot. When cold though, those are unnecessary, unless you have really big hands.

KuoH

Quote:
Originally posted by Beav
You were close, yank the batt and the air box. There are 'through plugs' from the wheel wells that allow access to the plugs. Lotsa fun!

Beav
Old 03-21-2002, 08:00 AM
Dgf

spark plugs

goto www.ryanmacdonald.com
Old 03-21-2002, 10:33 AM
Not as old as Randy

No, I haven't used them (yet?), I haven't had the need. I just know of their existence and purpose. I do, however, have large hands so I may have to in the future.

Beav
Old 03-21-2002, 03:46 PM
Not as old as Randy

O.K., slow day at the shop so I whipped a set in - takes less than an hour without any drama. Right side was out in about seven minutes. Left side a bit more difficult, especially the rear plug - big hands and all...

I should have shopped the plugs before buying, my cost of $77 makes my fanny feel like a bike rack.

Beav
Old 03-21-2002, 04:53 PM

Send a message via AIM to SVXMAN2001
which is the best spark plugs and spark plug wires to use?
chris
How do you know which spark plugs that need to be gapped?
Old 03-21-2002, 08:18 PM
Not as old as Randy

Well, you won't need any wires as there aren't any - the SVX uses COP, otherwise known as 'Coil-On-Plug'. The ignition coils reside directly on each spark plug, six times more saturation time, five more coils to go bad.

I used NGK 'laser platinum', oooooooo....heheheh. It's a double platinum plug that should last quite a long time, barring anything else going bad and ruining them. For those that aren't 'tuned in', platinum plug electrodes don't erode as quickly as normal plugs. Single platinum plugs have platinum tips on their positive electrodes, double platinums on both positive and negative.

I don't like multiple ground electrode plugs, the extra electrodes shield the spark from the mixture and tend to collect more garbage than 'regular' plugs. A quick survey around the shop today yielded the following:
Champions are very good plugs with a average to short life (comparatively),
AC average,
Autolite-Motorcraft (name du-jour) better than average,
NGK and (Nippon-)Denso very good,
Bosch good (although we've been replacing a lot of Bosch lately. We're not sure if it's just marketing or what - we don't normally use them but apparently someone does.),
Split-Fire, et al, hahahahahaha.....

The gap for the SVX is .044". Some manufacturers say not to re-gap platinum plugs as the coating is thin and can be ruined by a ham-handed gapper. However the NGKs I installed today stated that the gap should be checked and adjusted. Multiple ground electrode plugs should never be re-gapped.

Beav
Old 03-22-2002, 07:26 AM

Send a message via AIM to kuoh
Hmm....guess I should pull out a few of my +4's for a look see when the weather gets warmer. I don't know about performance issues, as I don't often get on the gas or have a point of reference, but I do know that I'm getting pretty respectible gas mileage despite the regular use of the remote start and the rushhour traffic.

KuoH

Quote:
Originally posted by Beav
I don't like multiple ground electrode plugs, the extra electrodes shield the spark from the mixture and tend to collect more garbage than 'regular' plugs.
Old 03-22-2002, 10:52 AM
Not as old as Randy

It's nothing personal, just my opinion based on what I see, day in and day out. YMMV

Beav