Photo Post
How-To Documents
Message Archive
SVX Shop Search
IRC users:

Go Back   The Subaru SVX World Network > SVX Main Forums > Technical Q & A

Old 02-24-2002, 06:05 PM
Network Design Administrator

Question AWD / Tranny Issue... PLEASE HELP!!

OK, get this my car drives fine, at least for the most part...

When I slow down by simply releasing the gas pedal it sometimes seems to hesitate dropping into lower gear.

Also when I release the gas pedal it makes a rubbing sound, almost like brake pads rubbing, but not squealing. More of a hissing tone, but it sounds like abrasion. The sound it makes is similar to saying shhhh. I have pretty much eliminated the thought that it might be the brakes due to the fact that if I rev the engine just a little (in neutral, when coasting) the sound goes away.

The only other thing I can think of slightly related is that it seems that I have lost AWD... I can easily break free if Im not careful from a full stop.

The tranny is a remanufactured one about 2 years old, and the car is a 93 with 125,000 miles.

I hope I can get an idea of what I am looking at.
Old 02-25-2002, 05:16 AM
Inventor of the 5-speed swap

Significant Technical Input Registered SVX
Sounds like the braking bands in the tranny need adjusting ( the tranny dosen't have to come out for this)
Cheap fix ...maybe.
88 XT6 AWD 5-Speed "Bride of FrankenWedge"
15 Impreza Premium Sedan
15 Crosstrek XV 5-Speed
My 5-Speed "How-To" Write-up
1976 Pontiac Firebird Formula
Current Count of Subaru's Owned.... "70"
Old 02-25-2002, 05:53 AM
Making tires round, Six now :)

I have heard a similar noise in my car when down shifting from 4 to 3, 3 to 2, 2 to 1. This could be the brake band adjustment? That would be great. Is this one of those things that if you don't get tightened up it gets worse?
Old 02-25-2002, 06:04 AM
Inventor of the 5-speed swap

Significant Technical Input Registered SVX
Quote:
Originally posted by svx_commuter
I have heard a similar noise in my car when down shifting from 4 to 3, 3 to 2, 2 to 1. This could be the brake band adjustment? That would be great. Is this one of those things that if you don't get tightened up it gets worse?
If you're hearing a scrubbing noise opon decelleration, the Braking bands are to tight, and will were them out....Then you would have to tear INTO the tranny, I'd have them adjusted if I thought this was the case.
88 XT6 AWD 5-Speed "Bride of FrankenWedge"
15 Impreza Premium Sedan
15 Crosstrek XV 5-Speed
My 5-Speed "How-To" Write-up
1976 Pontiac Firebird Formula
Current Count of Subaru's Owned.... "70"
Old 02-25-2002, 11:12 AM

Thanks for that info, I will have that looked into.

Any thoughts on the loss of AWD??
Old 02-25-2002, 07:31 PM
Canadian eh!

RSVX,

I lost my AWD over a year ago.... It began with the "rear wheels slow to engage" until the rear wheels completely quit working.

Following the recomendations from SVX_commuter, I had the transfer control valve assembly and the duty solenoid replaced and it work great now!

Joe 90

Last edited by Joe 90; 02-25-2002 at 07:33 PM.
Old 02-25-2002, 07:35 PM

What did that run you by chance? If you dont mind of course...
Old 02-25-2002, 07:50 PM
One teal and One yellow

Quote:
Originally posted by RSVX
Thanks for that info, I will have that looked into.

Any thoughts on the loss of AWD??
I don't know if this is a good idea for ya. To quickly find out the answer by myself if the AWD works, lift the car up, put to D and see if four wheels spinning. Yes is yes. No is no. Randy said that it may not be good to the awd if you lift it. i lifted it up for a very short while. shouldn't be hurt. if you really lost your awd, guess shouldn't be hurt anything but just to see two front wheels spinning. good luck.

92 LS-L TEAL since Aug '01
92 LS-L YELLOW since Mar '05
Old 02-26-2002, 11:09 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by SSSVX

I don't know if this is a good idea for ya. To quickly find out the answer by myself if the AWD works, lift the car up, put to D and see if four wheels spinning. Yes is yes. No is no. Randy said that it may not be good to the awd if you lift it. i lifted it up for a very short while. shouldn't be hurt. if you really lost your awd, guess shouldn't be hurt anything but just to see two front wheels spinning. good luck.
Putting the car up on the lift is a good way to tell if the AWD is working. I have put it up on blocks because I don't have a lift.

Driving without the RWD part of the AWD is not good for the front end drive train. It will over load the front differential and axles and wear them out. The torque steer can be dangerous because it can pull the car off the road.

I replaced the transfer solenoid myself because I am too cheap to pay for all that labor on a $60 part.
Old 02-26-2002, 03:44 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by svx_commuter

Putting the car up on the lift is a good way to tell if the AWD is working. I have put it up on blocks because I don't have a lift.

Driving without the RWD part of the AWD is not good for the front end drive train. It will over load the front differential and axles and wear them out. The torque steer can be dangerous because it can pull the car off the road.

I replaced the transfer solenoid myself because I am too cheap to pay for all that labor on a $60 part.
OK, one last annoying question... where is this solenoid, and how does one change it?
Old 02-26-2002, 04:12 PM
Rat Fink Member ~:o)

Send a message via ICQ to Aredubjay Send a message via AIM to Aredubjay Send a message via Yahoo to Aredubjay
Registered SVX
Quote:

OK, one last annoying question... where is this solenoid, and how does one change it?
Chris! Do you mean to tell me that you're too cheap to spend money on "Precious?"
First to arrive at the very first Reading Meet
Subaru Ambassador

1992 SVX PPG Pace Car Replica 110+k
1993 White Impreza L 240+K miles
2001 Legacy Outback Limited Sedan 250+K miles
2013 Deep Indigo Pearl Legacy 3.6R 49+K miles

"Reading is my favorite Holiday"
Mike Davis -- at Reading VI
Old 02-26-2002, 04:17 PM

This is okay. Not annoying at all. Put the car up in air so you can get under it. Take off the exhaust, pull the drive shaft and take off the back of the transmission housing. This is where the transfer solenoid is located. If you want more detail I would be happy to advise. It took me about 9 hours to do it with jack stands, cutting old exhaust bolts, cleaning parts, removing old transfer gasket material, assembly and cleaning up.

So I was without my car for about 9 hours. No actually I was with it the whole time. I just could not drive for about 9 hours. I just can stand the thought of having some tranny shop work on it and not have the parts. (Actual it took a tranny shop 5 days just to measure the transfer pressure. Now I can do that also.) So I got more parts than I needed before I started the work.
Old 02-26-2002, 05:56 PM

I see that you are in North Jersey, I may have to set up a mini 2 car maintenance meet, haha

And no Randy, Im not too cheap, Im in teh military... we are all rich er wait, thats right 75% of the force qualifies for food stamps, and people wonder why I want to get out...
Old 02-27-2002, 06:54 AM

Quote:
I see that you are in North Jersey, I may have to set up a mini 2 car maintenance meet, haha
Okay not a bad idea. I'll help you with the transfer valve and then we can do the timing belt, oil seals and other stuff in mine. Maybe in the spring?
Old 02-27-2002, 06:58 AM

Im in the air force and have access to a great auto hobby shop with lifts and all... indoors at that... all the tools, and even tech assistance if you want... so if it works out, maybe before reading... if not spring can wait...

I think the lifts run $5 an hour... tools included...