Live Chat!
SVX or Subaru Links
Old Lockers
Photo Post
How-To Documents
Message Archive
SVX Shop Search
IRC users:

Go Back   The Subaru SVX World Network > SVX Main Forums > MOD Mania > Other Mods

Old 05-20-2005, 11:10 PM

Exclamation Turbo project

I am currently building a turbo 3.3 out of my old 91 SVX. It now resides in a 98 impreza, with an early WRX 5spd. Thats 2810 lbs with the driver.
It will have either a GT35R or T04S60-1.
On paper it will run between 16-18 psi. Final boost will be determined by its behavior on my dyno at settings (maps) for both pump 92 and race 101.
The pistons will be custom forged and probably around 8.8 to 1.
A stand alone will run the system. Looking at Autronic, Motec or even
perfect power. I have tuned dozens of different systems & most of the full stand alones will do a decent job.
My questions for those of you more familiar these motors than I ( this is my first 3.3) are:
Does anyone build a fuel rail to convert to the more common PNH injectors?
Are there rod and piston sets already available? or Who is your favorite manufacturer.
What kind of block mods should I consider when I do the tear down?
And is there anything, besides the inevitable broken drive train parts , that would put the brakes on this build before I continue?
Calculators put the crank h\p over 475 on 92 and near 600 on 101.
I know how a real world build usualy turns out though and I am shooting for a realistic 400. Any more will be a bonus.
Any and all coments are apreciated!
Thanks in advance- Tim H (aka The Spindoctor) Dynoauthority
Old 05-20-2005, 11:42 PM
Old Timer (age that is)

Send a message via Yahoo to lhopp77
Registered SVX
Right!

Will really be interesting to see a turbo'd 91 since there were no 91s. Maybe you actually mean a 92 that was manufactured sometime in 91.

Lee
96 SVX LSi Red
92 SVX LS Pearl (Parts)
01 F150 4X4 Red
(+6 with other members of the family)

FREEDOM IS NOT FREE
Old 05-21-2005, 12:20 PM
Poor College Racer

Send a message via AIM to drivemusicnow
Well, the first thing you REALLY need to understand about the EG33 is that the aftermarket is non-existant. If you understand this, then that answers half of your questions right there.
No custom fuel rails, no specific pistons or rods, (the legacy 2.2 turbo pistons will supposedly work, however i don't know of anyone actually running them),
I'd suggest looking into closing the deck, however for 400 i'm not sure if this is neccesary. you may want to look into a custom headgasket... I'm not sure the stock will hold that much boost.

I think that you'd be much better off with the full standalone. however, you need to make sure that it will work with the type of ignition system we have. The coilpacks are actually "attached" to the individual spark plugs.

getting custom pistons and rods made shouldn't be all THAT expensive, but you're still looking at about 1000$

Good Luck!, have you seen the other impreza swap thats going on right now? its posted on nasioc

97 Red SVX LSi clean
96 Black SVX LSi beater
90 Red Eclipse GSX track ho
99 Ford F250 work horse
My Locker
Old 05-21-2005, 12:48 PM
Maniac modifier

Registered SVX Classic SVX
If you search Crower, there was a member who was in contact with Crower for custom internals and they gave them a quote....can't remember how much at this very time. If you mus turbo the car your plan sounds pretty good but if you are looking for more power please check the ECUtune Stage II or Stage III. These kits are amazing and are producing monster power. With a built motor with the stage III supercharger, that engine can make amazing amounts of power without dealing with the standalone tuning at probobly a much lesser cost.(mike is not paying me to advertise) it is just a suggestion for ya.

With that much power, You might want to think about upgrading to the STi gearset or the 6mt in the future as you will definately blow out your box in a short amount of time.

Tom
Old 05-21-2005, 02:46 PM
THAWA

How much power does the stage 3 make? I haven't seen any numbers yet.
Old 05-21-2005, 02:59 PM
Row faster...I hear banjos!!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by THAWA
How much power does the stage 3 make? I haven't seen any numbers yet.
At 7 psi of boost, assuming there's no boost leaks etc., there should be ~340hp at the crank.

-Chike

2013 Cosmic Blue 5spd Evo X GSR
2006 Galaxy Gray 6MT RX-8 (sold)
2006 Steel Gray WRX TR (sold)
1996 Brilliant Red SVX L (sold)
Old 05-21-2005, 03:34 PM
THAWA

what dyno was it tested on?
Old 05-21-2005, 04:49 PM
Row faster...I hear banjos!!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by THAWA
what dyno was it tested on?
That's not a dyno result, just a mathematical calculation of crank hp based on the boost numbers LAN is running...

-Chike

2013 Cosmic Blue 5spd Evo X GSR
2006 Galaxy Gray 6MT RX-8 (sold)
2006 Steel Gray WRX TR (sold)
1996 Brilliant Red SVX L (sold)
Old 05-21-2005, 05:18 PM

Exclamation Spindoctor reply

Thanks for the info so far- Please keep it coming.
As for the year of the car I looked at the pillar plate when I first posted and
its birthday is 7/91 so that is where that came from.
As far as the blower mod idea- I had first looked into building my own using an Eaton M-112 blowing up through an air to water intercooler.
However my main reason for going with the turbo is control. Since I have been unable to find anyone who can tell me where the limits of this engine are
a turbo with intercooler and water injection, stand alone control etc. means I have the ability to sneak up the boost while watching for the signs of failure.
I can spool up soft at first and if things look good I can work up to a full anti-lag launch with up to 21 psi at 2500 rpm.
Obviously, with a blower, you lose out on some of that control.
Once a limit has been established by means of the old "grow-it till you blow it" method, I can fix the weak spots and go from there.
Which brings me to the trany. Par & Pfitzner make some nice stuff and when the poor thing finally gernades thats probably direction I will go. All the rally guys who come to the dyno say thats the HD stuff.
As far a closing the deck and making custom rails I have no problems doing that for this project. What I was looking for was a short cut if someone out there has already done this. If not, then it looks like a trip to the old water-jet guys.
If you want to see my shop you can go to Dynoauthority.com (should be up by June with lots of cool pictures info and links) or Dynoauthority.net this is the old site with some stuff still there.
Or you can pick up the latest issue of Subiesport and look at the article done at our facility.
I started this project do to a put-up or shut-up discussion after a day of tuning Porsches when I made the comment that if they where water cooled we would be able to get more out of them.(the Porsche guys didn't like that) I mentioned the EG33 as a perfect rival and was told that if it was do'able someone would have done it by now.
So here I am setting out to beat up on Porches.
Thanks again for all your input - I hope to have the build done in time to get to the track before this season is over.
Tim H - The Spindoctor
Old 05-21-2005, 05:32 PM
MINEZ BETTER

need fuel rails for bosch style injecter or rochester injecters.

i got those just for eg33 if you need them. $100.00 for fuel rail pair. injecter set up with inner sleevs the weld on fuel rail. $600.00. you weld yourself.
white leathers, h.i.d, ecutune S/C stage 4, 14 inch 2piece rotors big brake kit., , msd ignition, c/f dash kit, front spoiler,carbon fiber jdm rearc wing,19 inch rims, nos, , aem fuel regulater, koni-gc package, ported cylinder heads, supercharger cams,solid buck and shims,wrx sti intake valve and exhaust valves,& valve springs, gas analizer,water injection, exhaust temp gauge, idiglo gauges, shift kit, , remote start, all automatic windows,2.5 inch true dual exhaust system with crossover, and 2 borla stainless steal muffler,air filter velocity air stack 3inch to 6 for air filtre, group n mounts, momo steering wheel, dyno will happan soon
Old 05-21-2005, 06:51 PM
Turbo Member

Send a message via AIM to SVXtasy
Hi
You should check out my site www.svxtasy.com and email me with any questions. I believe I am the only one who has successfully turboed an SVX on the forum. Your project sounds excellent! I have looked in to an auotronic standalone god I would love to do that! I have done extensive research on all things to deal with turboing the SVX and have a huge amount of info.
Old 05-21-2005, 09:24 PM
Maniac modifier

Registered SVX Classic SVX
There are a ton of guys who build airplane motors out of the eg33 runnign twin turbos to superchargers, I even remember seeing a pick with the tt motor with a custom intake manifold that acted as the intercoolers also. pretty neat. Might want to search for those posts too

Tom
Old 05-22-2005, 01:34 AM

Send a message via AIM to Gravija
Quote:
Originally Posted by SVXtasy
Hi
You should check out my site www.svxtasy.com and email me with any questions. I believe I am the only one who has successfully turboed an SVX on the forum. Your project sounds excellent! I have looked in to an auotronic standalone god I would love to do that! I have done extensive research on all things to deal with turboing the SVX and have a huge amount of info.
how much power are you putting to the wheels?

think its more than a stage 3?
Old 05-22-2005, 04:35 PM
Wreckless

Gravija, with SVXtasy's MAF overrun issues at 5-6 psi and the fact that the nearest AWD dyno is in Denver, he never dynoed the car. Once his fuel system and management is finished and he solves the MAF overrun issues, who knows. I keep harassing him to get a 'real' turbo
Old 05-23-2005, 05:31 PM
SEA Sleeper

vvvrrrrroooommmmm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spindoctor
....So here I am setting out to beat up on Porches....
I love where you’re going w/ this project. Ironically, I heard that Subaru used licensed Porsche parts in our cylinder heads. Heard that from a guy who does R & D for rebuilding engines.

Best wishes in you endeavor. I'm a Porsche enthusiast as well but I love the EG33, it's a marvelous engine.