Live Chat!
SVX or Subaru Links
Old Lockers
Photo Post
How-To Documents
Message Archive
SVX Shop Search
IRC users:

Go Back   The Subaru SVX World Network > SVX Main Forums > MOD Mania > Other Mods
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-03-2005, 11:00 AM

Would the Stock, ECU would be able to take into acount diffrent compresion ratios?

Would the Stock, ECU would be able to take into acount diffrent compresion ratios? Iam just wondering about this siunce i may be doing so "stuff" to my car this summer. I would probley also be running a ECU tune stage one chip if that will make any diffrence.
Old 05-03-2005, 11:58 AM
There's a storm coming.

Significant Technical Input Registered SVX
If you raised the compression ratio, enough to cause spark knock, it would retard timing, when it heard spark knock, and, according to Subaru learn to advance timing less.

What are you planning?
the first equal length headers,
the first phenolic spacers,
the first Class Glass fiberglass hood,
the first with 4, 4.44s in his driveway

Fiberglass Hood thread
My locker
4.44 Swap link
Old 05-03-2005, 12:26 PM

Iam planning on lowering it down, to what ever the legacy turbo piston brings it down to. Maybe
Old 05-03-2005, 12:31 PM
There's a storm coming.

Significant Technical Input Registered SVX
Quote:
Originally Posted by svxsubaru1
Iam planning on lowering it down, to what ever the legacy turbo piston brings it down to. Maybe
May I ask why?
the first equal length headers,
the first phenolic spacers,
the first Class Glass fiberglass hood,
the first with 4, 4.44s in his driveway

Fiberglass Hood thread
My locker
4.44 Swap link
Old 05-03-2005, 03:06 PM
Official AutoX Part Breaker
Subaru Gold Contributor

Registered SVX
Quote:
Originally Posted by svxfiles
If you raised the compression ratio, enough to cause spark knock, it would retard timing, when it heard spark knock, and, according to Subaru learn to advance timing less.

What are you planning?
Yeah, what Tom said
-Bill

Most famous NASA "Child" - OSIRIS-REx delivered samples from asteroid BENNU to Earth in Sept. 2023

Center Network Member #989

'92 Fully caged, 5 speed, waiting for its fully built EG33
'92 "Test Mule", 4:44 Auto, JDM 4:44 Rear Diff with Mech LSD, Tuned headers, Full one-off suspension
'92(?) Laguna, 6 spd and other stuff (still at OT's place)
My Locker
Old 05-03-2005, 03:52 PM

I kind of wanted to keep it secret right now, becasue iam not positive that i will be doing it. But I want to build a turbo SVX with at least a semi built engine( legacy turbo pistons, or aftermarket, o-ringed block, balanced, beefed up bolts complete rebuild), and iam wondering if i droped the compresion ratio down to 8 to 1 or in that area, and did a version of the spit MAF trick would the ECU run decentley or would my car run like crap? I know some engine ECUs are extremley adaptive and my idea would work fine but iam not sure about the SVX. Maybe longassname would chime in please. Basciley i want 350-400hp SVX or in that area, with a small buget, but i plan on doing almost evrey thing my self.

Last edited by svxsubaru1; 05-03-2005 at 03:57 PM.
Old 05-03-2005, 04:07 PM
Maniac modifier

Registered SVX Classic SVX
a stage 3 would not only be more ideal but it would put out more power, especially on a built engine. It will cost less also. Running 14-16lbs of boost on the legacy pistons would prbolby put out somewhere near 500-600hp(general estimate). Im not trying to tell you not to turbo your car, it is an awsome idea but it may be more cost and power effective to go w/ a stage 3

Tom
Old 05-03-2005, 04:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tomssvx
a stage 3 would not only be more ideal but it would put out more power, especially on a built engine. It will cost less also. Running 14-16lbs of boost on the legacy pistons would prbolby put out somewhere near 500-600hp(general estimate). Im not trying to tell you not to turbo your car, it is an awsome idea but it may be more cost and power effective to go w/ a stage 3

Tom
The cost is the only problem, i really don't and won't have $6250 to spend on the supercharger kit it self, Iam looking at getting every thing done for less than half of that. I like the supercharger kit and would already have a order out for one if i had the money, i think its a great deal, and longassname did a great job covering all the problems that other people have run into, but i dont have the money. Maybe he could give me a 50% student discount?

So far for cost, i have i figured about $500 for legacy tubro pistons, about another $400 of maching, and another $400 for the rest of the rebuild, about $600 on the fuel system, about $200 for the turbo and inner cooler( CT26, some disel inner cooler), plus another $300 for pipes, and extras. And of course a ECUstage 1 chip to retard timining, which i already have.

Last edited by svxsubaru1; 05-03-2005 at 04:40 PM.
Old 05-03-2005, 04:31 PM
Maniac modifier

That is totally undertsandable, but the turbo is gonna run you more in the long run.. Ask SVXtacy all about how much his system costed him. Just the piping alone would get me scared cuz a built motor will need an intercooler. Im not gonna post in this thread again cuz im getting off topic. Sorry, good luck with your project, it will be sweet when it is done

Tom
Old 05-03-2005, 04:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tomssvx
That is totally undertsandable, but the turbo is gonna run you more in the long run.. Ask SVXtacy all about how much his system costed him. Just the piping alone would get me scared cuz a built motor will need an intercooler. Im not gonna post in this thread again cuz im getting off topic. Sorry, good luck with your project, it will be sweet when it is done

Tom
If it comes down to i can always use PVC pipping, very cheap. Relibility wont really bother me becasue i will be at a college (Washington State) where i can walk to all my classes, and walk to buy food. While ill have a whole machine shop at my disposal to use for what ever i really want. All i really want is about 350-400hp nothing more that will satisfy my power needs at least for a while, plus any more power and i will start to need to look for a built 5spd, amd a r180 rear end.

Thanks for every ones reponses so far.

This is also a little off topic, but what exhuast tips do you have they look great.

Last edited by svxsubaru1; 05-03-2005 at 06:04 PM.
Old 05-03-2005, 06:52 PM
Turbo Member

Send a message via AIM to SVXtasy
Hi
Well the guy who wrote the SVX FAQ ran the stock ECU with an MSD box of some sort for timing and he had 8:1 compression JE pistons. He did the split MAF tick and it worked well for him he was using the 555 injectors from nismo. He said he ran a 12.9 with a slipping trany.
Old 05-03-2005, 06:57 PM
Maniac modifier

wow. I did not know there was an svx in the 12's out there

Tom
Old 05-03-2005, 07:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SVXtasy
Hi
Well the guy who wrote the SVX FAQ ran the stock ECU with an MSD box of some sort for timing and he had 8:1 compression JE pistons. He did the split MAF tick and it worked well for him he was using the 555 injectors from nismo. He said he ran a 12.9 with a slipping trany.

Thanks allot SVXtasy, if you don't mind saying why. Why did you use your fuel set up over the spit MAF idea? I Am not saying your set up is bad by any means, just what advantages/disadvantages did you come up with to pick your set up over the split MAF set up. Thanks allot. Also are you running into any trannie problems?
Old 05-03-2005, 07:05 PM
Turbo Member

Send a message via AIM to SVXtasy
No my set up is bad ) it does not work as well as i wanted. but the 555 injecotrs are very expensive that is why i did ti the way i did it. i am going to be goign to 370cc (sr20det) injectors soon.
Old 05-03-2005, 07:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SVXtasy
No my set up is bad ) it does not work as well as i wanted. but the 555 injecotrs are very expensive that is why i did ti the way i did it. i am going to be goign to 370cc (sr20det) injectors soon.

I know the cheapest ive been able to find some so far, have been 1K for all six , have you been bale to find them for any cheaper.

About the 370cc how are you going to control fuel deliverley and how much HP could we achive with those injectors? Thanks allot for the repleys again.