Photo Post
How-To Documents
Message Archive
SVX Shop Search
IRC users:

Go Back   The Subaru SVX World Network > SVX Main Forums > General SVX Babble

Old 08-17-2011, 07:03 PM

Registered SVX
I probably have a spun crankshaft bearing...

I bought my 1st SVX in June after sitting on the fence for years. Guess I should have looked harder.

The seller told me the noise on start-up was oil filling the hydraulic lifters. I'm no mechanic and took him at his word. Today, my mechanic diagnosed a spun crankshaft bearing, and a bad head gasket. They're unrelated obviously, but I guess I should of had a PPI done before buying it.

It'll cost me $500 for him to open up the engine to confirm the diagnosis. Then, if I'm lucky, it's 'only' going to need a rebuild. If I'm not, it'll be another engine

I'm seriously thinking of cutting my losses and parting it out, but I really do want to try and save it, so guess I'll invest in the tear down to see what the bill might be...

How hard is it to find an engine?

Rod.
'97 Ebony LSi #426, CDM (1 of 51 in '97), 185k km, rebuilt engine & transfer case; 22mm Bontrager RSB; 4300k HID 9006 bulbs SOLD
'92 Ebony LS-L #6851, USDM (sold)
'08 Forester (wife's)
'06 STi (traded for the Forester)
'94 Legacy wagon (sold)
Old 08-17-2011, 08:01 PM
Still Cant' Say the Z-Word

Send a message via AIM to LetItSnow
Registered SVX
Re: I probably have a spun crankshaft bearing...

Around here, not hard. I've got a yard a few miles of here that was able to come up with one for me in a couple of days from an affiliate. You might be better off selling parts from the current engine and replacing it already - I got a 70k mile mill with a 30 day warranty for $750 including a good bit of uncut harness.
Old 08-17-2011, 11:53 PM

Send a message via AIM to Green1995SVX Send a message via Yahoo to Green1995SVX
Registered SVX Classic SVX

I wouldn't waste the labor on the tear down. Get a used engine (they seem to be a dime a dozen lately), and swap it out. If you have any mechanical ability, swapping a subaru engine is about as easy as an engine swap gets.

Mike
2001 Audi S8
Old 08-18-2011, 01:11 AM
some sort of nerd. some sort.
Subaru Silver Contributor

Registered SVX

Quote:
Originally Posted by Green1995SVX View Post
I wouldn't waste the labor on the tear down. Get a used engine (they seem to be a dime a dozen lately), and swap it out. If you have any mechanical ability, swapping a subaru engine is about as easy as an engine swap gets.

Mike
Super easy, for an engine swap. The amount of money saved is enough that it's way worth it.
'94 Laguna Blue LSi ~159k.......JDM ultra short-geared 3.900 STi Version 7 6-speed w/ Cobb shortshifter, ECUtune 244,8.1mm/256,9.1mm i/e cams, group N motor mounts, '97 grille, JDM clear corners, Momo JDM Legacy GT steering wheel, apkarian's LED tails, silver STi BBS wheels, PWR radiator, redstuff pads f/r, drilled/slotted rotors, bontragerworks rsb #18, Koni/GC 450f/375r coilovers, Megan Racing adjustable lateral links, KMac c/c plates, Stebro exhaust, ECUtune 1v5, Optima battery in the trunk where it belongs. Turbo project

'97 Ebony LSi ~137k #036.......Power mode mod, JDM clear corners, BBS wheels. AUX/pocket mod

Now a mod "over there" ............Photo album
Old 08-18-2011, 02:49 AM

Registered SVX

Quote:
Originally Posted by icingdeath88 View Post
Super easy, for an engine swap. The amount of money saved is enough that it's way worth it.
I agree. A engine crane helps too. Just undo all bolts and what ever. It popped out really easy
1973 1400 GSR Yelo 2 Door Coupe awaiting Restoration
Old 08-18-2011, 10:11 AM
Meow!

Send a message via ICQ to Earthworm Send a message via AIM to Earthworm Send a message via MSN to Earthworm Send a message via Yahoo to Earthworm Send a message via Skype™ to Earthworm

I might even have a spare engine kicking around somewhere. I know I have one in pieces
Old 08-18-2011, 11:09 AM
some sort of nerd. some sort.
Subaru Silver Contributor

Registered SVX
Exclamation Re: I probably have a spun crankshaft bearing...

Quote:
Originally Posted by subbieatnz View Post
I agree. A engine crane helps too. Just undo all bolts and what ever. It popped out really easy
An engine crane is absolutely necessary, as heavy as the EG33 is. And harbor freight has them for cheap enough that it'll pay for itself with the single use.

Other that and regular mechanics tools, you'd need a jack and jackstands, big pans to drain oil/fluids/coolant into, and a buddy (or two) to help with moving giant objects around. A chisel or similar tool to split the trans/engine would help too. I have pulled and put back an EG33 twice in my blue car, if you need any help I could walk you through it.
'94 Laguna Blue LSi ~159k.......JDM ultra short-geared 3.900 STi Version 7 6-speed w/ Cobb shortshifter, ECUtune 244,8.1mm/256,9.1mm i/e cams, group N motor mounts, '97 grille, JDM clear corners, Momo JDM Legacy GT steering wheel, apkarian's LED tails, silver STi BBS wheels, PWR radiator, redstuff pads f/r, drilled/slotted rotors, bontragerworks rsb #18, Koni/GC 450f/375r coilovers, Megan Racing adjustable lateral links, KMac c/c plates, Stebro exhaust, ECUtune 1v5, Optima battery in the trunk where it belongs. Turbo project

'97 Ebony LSi ~137k #036.......Power mode mod, JDM clear corners, BBS wheels. AUX/pocket mod

Now a mod "over there" ............Photo album
Old 08-18-2011, 03:05 PM

+1 on the ease of Subaru engine transplants. I've not done an EG33, but I've done several EJ22/25's which are essentially smaller versions of the EG33 as far as removal/replacement goes. You'll definitely need an engine hoist though.

davew833@yahoo.com

Former 6-time SVX owner
Old 08-18-2011, 03:22 PM

Registered SVX

If u were willing to spend the min $1,500 for a tear down rebuild you should look at a 4.44 swap at the same time . U did not mention the year. If it is newer than 1994 and less than 100,000 miles disregard this post . I remember back in the day a guy actually replaced a spun bearing in my Chevy with out even removing the motor. He had a small tool that resurfaced the crank journal and put in a new bearing. I not knowing much about what it takes to move the pistons and connecting rods from the crank , I may be all wet when it comes to the SVX engine
I vote engine transplant .
BTW what does it sound like A Thump or ticking... never mind the head gasket is shot too. U R SURE !
Old 08-18-2011, 07:41 PM

Registered SVX

Thanks for all the advice.

To answer the question about the noise, it's a loud rattle on startup for 3-4 seconds and then a rumble/knock from down low at the fire wall side.

The engine seems to pull well but my mechanic is pretty certain it's bad enough to not drive until he can open it up to confirm the diagnosis.

I'm on the lookout for another engine but seeing that I live part way between North Dakota and Alaska, it might not be easy...
'97 Ebony LSi #426, CDM (1 of 51 in '97), 185k km, rebuilt engine & transfer case; 22mm Bontrager RSB; 4300k HID 9006 bulbs SOLD
'08 Forester (wife's)
'94 Legacy wagon (sold)

Last edited by Rod.; 08-18-2011 at 07:49 PM.
Old 08-19-2011, 05:19 AM
Moar shifty!
Subaru Gold Contributor

Send a message via MSN to Crazy_pilot
Registered SVX

My car lived for almost 3 years with the start-up knock before trully packing it in this spring.

The problem with a rebuild is that it uncovers a whole bunch of worms... Metal might have gotten into everything and scored/damaged all sorts of surfaces. It's far easier and cheaper to swap engines and possibly hang on to the old one to rebuild over time. I'm picking up my "new" motor in a few weeks and dropping it in sometime in September.

92 Ebony Mica LS-L "A Rolling Restoration": 223,250 KM - Sleeping
2007 STi 6MT, Stance GR+ coilovers, PWR Rad, JDM hood badge, svxfiles 6000K HIDs, JDM Clear Corners, $15/15 min mod, $20/20 min mod, Energy Swaybar Bushings, Hella Supertones horns, Gold STi BBS rims, Group A lightweight crank pulley, A/C system removed, Custom header-back exhaust, Hybrid carbon/metal rear sway bar, restored headlights with CCFL halos
2008 Subaru Legacy Spec B - Diamond Grey Metallic - Sold
2020 Ram 1500 Longhorn - Red Pearl

Old 08-23-2011, 07:14 PM

Registered SVX
Exclamation Re: I probably have a spun crankshaft bearing...

My mechanic confirmed yesterday after a tear-down that I need a new engine.

He's trying to find a donor to transplant, but apparently he can get a new short block from Subaru and use it for a rebuild.

I'm out of town and haven't spoken with him (I'm getting this by email through a friend while I'm away) so I don't have any more info or an idea of the cost.

Anyone been through this exercise and have advice on what to ask the mechanic and, assuming it's affordable, if it's worth doing?

TIA,
'08 Forester (wife's)
'94 Legacy wagon (sold)
Old 08-24-2011, 10:55 AM
Meow!

Send a message via ICQ to Earthworm Send a message via AIM to Earthworm Send a message via MSN to Earthworm Send a message via Yahoo to Earthworm Send a message via Skype™ to Earthworm

Depends...try to find out approximately how much that will cost you.