Photo Post
How-To Documents
Message Archive
SVX Shop Search
IRC users:

Go Back   The Subaru SVX World Network > SVX Main Forums > General SVX Babble

Old 09-18-2002, 06:03 PM

I second landshark.

My family car range in size from the MR2 my daughter drives to the 2002 4Runner my wife drives (with my SVX in the middle).

Local guy I know bought the LandCruiser (when his 4X4 Suburban couldn't cut it) to pull out his upgraded 30' boat on slippery ramps - claims a vast improvement (I have no personal experience between the two).

If you can't see your way to the LC (lots o $$$), look into the Seqouia. I've been buying Japanese or European cars for years, this is the first Japanese vehicle for my wife (she's a buy-American type typically - traded in a 1999 Mountainer), she says she won't be going back anytime soon.
Old 09-18-2002, 06:41 PM

awd

Our Highlander is my wifes pride and joy, she loves it. My work car is a 2001 Outback. Before that, it was a 97 Outback. I had to go to ski resort in a small town near me in the 97 during a 40" snow fall. To make a long story short I got behind an Excursion having no luck going to the top of the lift. He saw me coming closer and when I got right behind him he stopped, so I had to stop, right in the middle of this steep hill with 40" of new snow. He was stuck now, he looked in his mirror at me as if to say sorry I got us both stuck. Without any effort the Outback blazed a new trail to the top and on the way back down I saw him tredging through the snow towards the closest lodge. Bigger isn't always better. Thats just one of my many Subaru AWD beats the big guy every time stories.
04 VW Beetle GLS
Old 09-18-2002, 06:42 PM
Fight Eminent Domain Abuse!

Send a message via AIM to mohrds Send a message via Yahoo to mohrds
<<But in this case, switching from GM to Ford for that reason>>
That's not the reason. Warranties may be good for general people, but they are useless to me. We had a dud. I realize another one may have been fine, but when the value drops from $46,500 to $27,000 in 2 years, its time to dump it and cut my losses.

I now have a truck that I paid $3k 6 months ago and I could probably get $2800 for it now. Its just a smarter financial decision. I can fix anything that goes wrong with it so why should I mess around with dealers and warranties.

I know all about Ford's quality problems, that's why I'm going to get a 2nd or third year Excursion when I do. That will give me the best luck. After they had time to work out the bugs and before they started cost reduction.

From the tone of your post, You seem to be firm in your convictions so anything I say isn't going to change your mind so I'll simply say Its my decision.

<<how about a Toyota Landcruiser? they're pretty big, and i'm sure the quality is much better.>>
Not big enough. We took the dog crate on a trip to various dealers to see which trucks it would fit in.

Doug
Black over Claret with 2.5" setback spoiler; 202,000 miles; Mods: B&M Cooler
1994 LSi (4/93)
Bordeaux Pearl; 198,000 miles; Mods: Weight reduction.

1969 Mustang GT Convertible
1970 Mustang Convertible
2000 Ford Excursion
Sola lingua bona est lingua mortua.

My Locker
Old 09-18-2002, 10:16 PM
Rep from the outside world

Send a message via AIM to Shadow248
I have alot of experience with cars, so yes i have firm opinions. It also comes from my dad...he's the same way. I come from a huge car family...race car drivers, truck drivers, even pilots. I was simply trying to help and i hope i didn't offend anyone. In the end you all can do what you want.

As for resale value, all vehicles lose alot of money in their first years. Import or domestic. That's why i don't think i will ever buy a new car...it's so much cheaper to buy a 1 or 2 year used car. That Denali that lost so much in it's first two years will still be worth $22,000 five years from now.

And speaking of quality problems, toyota's new seqouia ranks at the bottom of the list right now...most likely cause it's a brand new concept to the japanese...the large SUV game i mean. And the critics are saying it's underpowered and and way too mushy. I personally have no experience with it, but it has always been my opinion that while the japanese may have the small car game down, they should leave the trucks to Americans that have been building them for over 100 years.

That must be one hell of a dog crate you have. Maybe you are thinking the wrong way...if it doesn't seem to fit in any of the largest SUVs, maybe it's really a smaller dog crate that is needed? Perhaps that is not possible. I certainly don't know dogs.

Last edited by Shadow248; 09-18-2002 at 10:24 PM.