Photo Post
How-To Documents
Message Archive
SVX Shop Search
IRC users:

Go Back   The Subaru SVX World Network > SVX Main Forums > Technical Q & A

Old 05-24-2008, 08:00 AM

RWD Problem - Not sure what part

I haven't gone under and diagnosed this myself (not a mechanic anyways - can do some stuff, but I try not to go where I don't know) but...

When going from a stop, I get a stutter under the car - can't tell whether it is in the middle or the back, but it is like a metallic series of quick thuds and then it catches and goes away until I am at a stop again. This isn't entirely new, this has been going on to a lesser degree for months now, but it used to be only when I just about floored it - now it is every time. I put in in FWD only for the moment and all is well, but I don't want to stay there and burn out anything else... I am currently 1000 miles away from home and will have to drive back in about 10 days... I am hoping I can be directed to something easy in this???

Did recently have the rear diff swapped out (thinking to get rid of the stutter) and it did go away for a day (even when I floored it) - but now is back worse than ever. Maybe something loose? (I hope...)

Also - transmission runs clean and smooth - no problems shifting or holding. I do know that my TPS is probably going anyways as I've already adjusted it once to kill the throttle flare between a couple gears - but I wouldn't think (there I go thinking) that this would cause the major issue...

Thanks!
Old 05-24-2008, 10:52 AM
Inventor of the 5-speed swap

Significant Technical Input Registered SVX
Sounds like a transfer clutch issue...might be the Solinoid "C" that operates them, or the transfer clutches themselves may be worn out....both can be replaced with the tranny in the car, just have to drop th edriveshaft, adn remove the tail section of the tranny.
88 XT6 AWD 5-Speed "Bride of FrankenWedge"
15 Impreza Premium Sedan
15 Crosstrek XV 5-Speed
My 5-Speed "How-To" Write-up
1976 Pontiac Firebird Formula
Current Count of Subaru's Owned.... "70"
Old 05-24-2008, 11:28 AM
242,000 mi on oem trans

Registered SVX
The good news is, you can drive it with the FWD fuse in almost indefinately. You won't hurt the trans, any more than it is now. It won't hurt a trans that's in good working order either.

+1 on what Huck says. My 2cents being the solenoid itself. IIRC the solenoid isn't terribly expensive, neither is the labor. Generally if you put the fuse in & it does no good, the transfer clutch is fouled up.
Current Stable By Age:
'89 Subaru XT6 Silver "Audrey" as in Hepburn
'96 SVX LSi #767Brilliant Red "Lil Red" Now on the front burner. Looking for a totalled, but running parts car.
Old 06-06-2008, 08:06 PM

Thanks for the input - I do have a seperate SVX for parts, so that isn't a problem... My issue now is that I am clueless on how to swap the solenoid C and the transfer clutch (why not be safe and swap both?) - can someone put together a how-to on this? Something that I can use with a friend mechanic to take care of this - I will likely go ahead and do a transmission filter and fluid change at the same time too...

Also - while I am here - I think my cats are clogged up, I do get an occasional Check Engine light that inevitably goes away - I can never predict when it comes on, and usually it is gone within a couple minutes. I commonly get a strong gas smell when starting - and whenever it does that, I can guarantee that the car will hesitate from a stop every time. When it doesn't, everything is smooth as silk in regards to the engine. Can't complain for the engine having 180k miles on it... Anything I can do that won't cost an arm, a leg and my first-born to fix?

And one piece of curiosity since I was browsing the how-to sections - what are some basic mods to improve upon performance and durability? I saw the throttle body mod and am not sure what benefit that would be. I have already done the trans cooler and shift kit mods. What else might there be? I'd like to make this car go for many more miles... and when I can afford, grab another one... there are currently 3 within 50 miles for sale for 1500, 3500 and 4500 (92, 93, 94 I think) all in great condition... though I am happy with mine I got the beginning of last year for 1500 plus the parts car for 500... my first SVX's and now I am addicted.

Last edited by psych0s1s_r3b0r; 06-06-2008 at 08:07 PM. Reason: Forgot a question
Old 06-07-2008, 11:40 PM

Since I just read the technical request (sticky) for format on the forum, and it makes perfect sense (and since I cannot edit my last post to make it right...)

To lay it all out clearly... 1 and 2 are my biggest concerns right now...

(1) Regarding my transmission problem
How do I go about changing the Solenoid C in my transmission as well as my transfer clutch without dropping the transmission? Can someone put together a how to or describe it well enough in here please?

(2) Also regarding a possible transmission problem
Since running almost 2000 miles in FWD now I am beginning to get a vibration / rumble more at speeds of around 30-45mph from the rear - it generally goes away but when it first comes around each time, it seems to be getting a little worse. Ideas and other fixes while we are on the transmission topic?

(3) This one has nothing to do with the transmission
Any cheap or simple solution for possibly clogged cats?

(4) This also has nothing to do with the transmission
Since I am not that versed in mechanics, what benefits does the throttle body bypass mod give me if I were to do it? And are there any other simple mods that I may benefit from?

Thank you!

Last edited by psych0s1s_r3b0r; 06-07-2008 at 11:41 PM. Reason: Accidentally activated an emoticon using < >'s
Old 06-08-2008, 08:10 AM
Maniac modifier

Registered SVX Classic SVX
Along the lines of the vibration front.

Check the driveshaft... You need to remove it to check the universal joints.. When these lock up they can make all kinds of noises/vibrations

Tom