Message Archive
SVX Shop Search
IRC users:

Go Back   The Subaru SVX World Network > SVX Main Forums > Technical Q & A

Old 02-25-2002, 03:30 PM
Was MacGyver

Registered SVX
Question Cleaning the throttle body

OK, I'm not a mechanic and have never done mechanical type work on my cars (other than oil changes) until the SVX. I've just heard too many stories of shops mistreating our cars, aside from the fact that it is often a LOT of money for simple fixes and procedures. Thanks to this site, I've used a lot of those fixes and have learned a lot about taking care of my car.

So with that said, don't laugh to hard. I did a search and found several posts about "cleaning the throttle body" among the "Tune-Up" things to do. (I'll probably be asking about some of the others, but one thing at a time) So first, what and where is the throttle body? And then, what is the procedure?

Thanks guys!

1992 SVX LSL "Serenity" 250,000 miles!

I don't care, I'm still free, You can't take the sky from me...
Old 02-25-2002, 04:03 PM
Rat Fink Member ~:o)

Send a message via ICQ to Aredubjay Send a message via AIM to Aredubjay Send a message via Yahoo to Aredubjay
Registered SVX
Re: Cleaning the throttle body

Quote:
Originally posted by MacGyver
OK, I'm not a mechanic and have never done mechanical type work on my cars (other than oil changes) until the SVX. I've just heard too many stories of shops mistreating our cars, aside from the fact that it is often a LOT of money for simple fixes and procedures. Thanks to this site, I've used a lot of those fixes and have learned a lot about taking care of my car.

So with that said, don't laugh to hard. I did a search and found several posts about "cleaning the throttle body" among the "Tune-Up" things to do. (I'll probably be asking about some of the others, but one thing at a time) So first, what and where is the throttle body? And then, what is the procedure?

Thanks guys!
Troy,
Your throttle body is located under your H6 Cover (be careful not to lose the little screw-like clips that hold it on). Take it off and you'll see two large rubber hoses held on by large worm-gear clamps. Start by loosening those clamps. Once done, unsnap your air box (where your filter is). You'll also need to find a few hoses that are attached to the plastic bits connected to the intake (large plastic ductwork), as wall as unplug the electrical connector to your MAF (the thing that looks like a small Pizza Hut, in the plastic "ductwork" configuration). Once all that stuff is removed, the orifices from which you undid the large clamps is your throttle body. spray those orifices liberally with carb/choke or throttle body cleaner. That will clean out accumulated varnish and other gunk. Then, open the butterflies by depressing the accelerator (you'll see the link to the butterflies on the passenger's side -- if I remember correctly -- attached to the accelerator cable -- just depress that). Once the butterflies are open, continue to liberally spray cleaner into those areas until the cleaner begins to run clear. Occasionally use a mirror to check and make sure the areas are clean. Once you've gotten it all cleaned up, and used a rag to dry up any remaining cleaner in the intake, then, reconnect the intake ductwork and you're done.

As I told one member, you may experience some rough running on start up and puffs of white smoke -- that's normal. It's your car burning off the cleaner that's still in the intake. Just drive it around a little while and it'll smooth out -- plus, your ECU will begin to adjust for the freer flow of air.

Good luck.
First to arrive at the very first Reading Meet
Subaru Ambassador

1992 SVX PPG Pace Car Replica 110+k
1993 White Impreza L 240+K miles
2001 Legacy Outback Limited Sedan 250+K miles
2013 Deep Indigo Pearl Legacy 3.6R 49+K miles

"Reading is my favorite Holiday"
Mike Davis -- at Reading VI
Old 02-25-2002, 04:09 PM
Was MacGyver

Registered SVX
Thanks Randy!

Thanks! I had seen you suggested this to other's in my search, but had not seen the specifics. As always, very well written instructions, I shall give it a try!

1992 SVX LSL "Serenity" 250,000 miles!

I don't care, I'm still free, You can't take the sky from me...
Old 02-25-2002, 04:13 PM
Betcha can't buy just one!
Alcyone Gold Contributor

Send a message via ICQ to ensteele Send a message via Yahoo to ensteele Send a message via Skype™ to ensteele
Registered SVX Classic SVX
How often should this be done? If the car seems to be running ok, should I do it just out of normal maintenance? Thanks

Subaru Ambassador

[COLOR=”silver”]1992 Tri Color L[/COLOR] ~45K (06/91) #2430
1992 Dark Teal LS-L ~184K (05/91) #0739
1992 Claret LS-L ~196K (05/91) #0831
1992 Pearl LS-L ~103K (06/91) #1680
1992 Pearl LS-L ~151K (06/91) #2229
1992 Dark Teal LS ~150K (07/91) #3098 (parts car)
1992 White LS-L ~139K (08/92) #6913
1993 25th AE ~98K (02/93) #164
1993 25th AE ~58K (02/93) #176
1993 25th AE ~107K (02/93) #215
1993 25th AE ~162K (02/93) #223
1994 Laguna Blue Pearl LSi ~124K (1/94) #2408
1994 Laguna Blue Pearl LSi ~144K (10/93) #1484
1994 Laguna Blue Pearl LSi ~68K (10/93) #1525
1994 Barcelona Red LSi ~46K (02/94) #2624
1994 Pearl LSi ~41K (12/93) #1961
1995 Bordeaux Pearl LSi ~70K (02/95) #855
1996 Polo Green LSi ~95K (03/96) #872
1997 Bordeaux Pearl LSi ~55K (08/96) #097
2003 Brilliant Red LS1 Convertible ~29K (04/03) #8951
1999 Magnetic Red LS1 Coupe ~33K (04/99) #6420

My Email | Old Locker | New Locker | Picture of 15 of the 19
Old 02-25-2002, 09:27 PM

Send a message via ICQ to Aredubjay Send a message via AIM to Aredubjay Send a message via Yahoo to Aredubjay
Registered SVX
Quote:
Originally posted by ensteele93
How often should this be done? If the car seems to be running ok, should I do it just out of normal maintenance? Thanks
The mechanic who has done most of the work on my cars (unfortunately, not on the SVX, though), suggests you clean the throttle body at every other oil change, just to be safe.
Subaru Ambassador

Old 04-20-2002, 09:06 PM
gcookaustin

Re: Re: Cleaning the throttle body

Quote:
Originally posted by Aredubjay

Troy,
Your throttle body is located under your H6 Cover (be careful not to lose the little screw-like clips that hold it on). Take it off and you'll see two large rubber hoses held on by large worm-gear clamps. Start by loosening those clamps. Once done, unsnap your air box (where your filter is). You'll also need to find a few hoses that are attached to the plastic bits connected to the intake (large plastic ductwork), as wall as unplug the electrical connector to your MAF (the thing that looks like a small Pizza Hut, in the plastic "ductwork" configuration). Once all that stuff is removed, the orifices from which you undid the large clamps is your throttle body.
Why remove all that stuff? Can just the two big hoses be undone from the throttle body?

I don't have any clips for my H-6 cover? When I got the car there was only one, now the other has disappeared so it's just sitting on top. Can I get some more or do I just use a nut and bolt now?
Old 04-21-2002, 04:52 AM

Quote:
I don't have any clips for my H-6 cover? When I got the car there was only one, now the other has disappeared so it's just sitting on top. Can I get some more or do I just use a nut and bolt now?
I think I paid about $5 for the two clips at my Subie dealer

B.C.
Old 04-22-2002, 12:33 PM

Registered SVX
As Brian said, the clips are cheap. They're available at subaruparts.com. Just to to the engine diagram.

The H-6 cover has to come off to get to the hoses. You COULD just undo the hoses, but there are smaller hoses restricting the movement of the "two big hoses." It's much easier to get the can of cleaner behind the butterflies if you remove the stuff. You'll see what I mean, once you try.
Subaru Ambassador

Old 04-22-2002, 02:24 PM
gcookaustin

Quote:
Originally posted by Aredubjay
As Brian said, the clips are cheap. They're available at subaruparts.com. Just to to the engine diagram.

The H-6 cover has to come off to get to the hoses. You COULD just undo the hoses, but there are smaller hoses restricting the movement of the "two big hoses." It's much easier to get the can of cleaner behind the butterflies if you remove the stuff. You'll see what I mean, once you try.
Ah okay, I see that makes sense then.

I'll order the clips along with a driver's power window switch. I took it out to clean it / look at the breaking driver's switch and I couldn't get it back together without disabling the P/W lock. Also I broke the switch even more. So now there's about four individual things wrong with my switches so that's a good excuse to get a new box
Old 04-22-2002, 03:34 PM

Registered SVX
Quote:
Originally posted by gcookaustin

Ah okay, I see that makes sense then.

I'll order the clips along with a driver's power window switch. I took it out to clean it / look at the breaking driver's switch and I couldn't get it back together without disabling the P/W lock. Also I broke the switch even more. So now there's about four individual things wrong with my switches so that's a good excuse to get a new box

Glad I could help . . . I think.
Subaru Ambassador