How-To Documents
Message Archive
SVX Shop Search
IRC users:

Go Back   The Subaru SVX World Network > SVX Main Forums > Technical Q & A

Old 02-07-2002, 11:04 PM
gcookaustin

AT TEMP light

I am thinking about buying an SVX soon! I've heard about the bearings and transmission problems. I didn't know there was an AT TEMP light. Is there a way to change the temperature at which it comes on?
Old 02-07-2002, 11:32 PM
I abuse them one at a time

Location: Northbrook, Illinois, USA, Earth, Solar System... you get the picture
Send a message via AIM to Seraph Send a message via Skype™ to Seraph
Re: AT TEMP light

Quote:
Originally posted by gcookaustin
I am thinking about buying an SVX soon! I've heard about the bearings and transmission problems. I didn't know there was an AT TEMP light. Is there a way to change the temperature at which it comes on?
Which light are you talking about. SVXes does have some tranny problems. It all depends on luck. I've heard wonderful stories of SVXes running over 130k without any trouble while I have also seen some with dead tranny at every 40k miles. It all depends on how the owner drives the car and how the car was maintained. I got mine with 75k and I had to get tranny fixed at 83k. Try to see if you can get records of the car from the previous owner (most cars that were taken care of nicely will have them). I myself would be looking for a car with a tranny that was fixed within the last year or so or within 20k miles -- Just to be on the safe side.

hope it helps

Lwin
Previous SVXes: •1994 LE Barcelona Red 107k • 1992 LS-L Pearl White 143k • 1994 LSi Bordeaux Pearl 220k • 1992 LS-L Ebony Pearl 184k • 1992 LS-L Liquid Silver 145k • 1992 LS-L Liquid Silver 102k • 1992 LS-L Ebony Pearl 123k
Other current cars:2001 Jeep Grand Cherokee Black
If at first you don't succeed, CHEAT!
Old 02-08-2002, 01:52 AM
gcookaustin

Oh, well l was just reading on the board that the SVX has a light to "warn" you when the temperature was too hot in the transmission, but doesn't work until it's basically melted. l was thinking that it might be useful if you could program the car computer to have the light come on at a lower temperature, like when it's relatively hot but not too terribly dangerous yet.
l guess they knew the transmission wasn't right; l haven't heard of a light like that on any other car!
Old 02-08-2002, 02:23 AM

I've owned a SVX for close to a year now and I have not see anything like that lit up yet.

Lwin
Previous SVXes: •1994 LE Barcelona Red 107k • 1992 LS-L Pearl White 143k • 1994 LSi Bordeaux Pearl 220k • 1992 LS-L Ebony Pearl 184k • 1992 LS-L Liquid Silver 145k • 1992 LS-L Liquid Silver 102k • 1992 LS-L Ebony Pearl 123k
Old 02-08-2002, 02:28 AM
gcookaustin

Oh, well according to everyone else that's a good thing, because by the time it finally gets around to alerting you that the transmission is hot, it's shot. l didn't know that either, l just saw it on other posts. Would be useful if it worked. Can a dealer program the ECU to show the light at a lower temp?
Old 02-08-2002, 05:11 AM
Making tires round, Six now :)

I got my car with 90k miles and the tranny is still working at 136k. I just fixed the AWD myself but it hasn't needed any rebuilding at all. The FWD has been working okay. The car has never left me stranded. If you buy one change the tranny fluid often, it is inexpensive.

I have added a thermometer to read the tranny fluid temperature as have other owners. There are several ways to do this.

As far as I know there is no way to reprogram the temperature sensor in the tranny. However, it may be possible to recalibrate the TempSen by adding a resistor to the wires that connect to the TempSen.
To the best of my knowledge no one has tried this yet.

I have been thinking about it for the same reasons you have. I also think it is possible that the TCU (Tranny Control Unit [computer]) may use the TempSen reading to adjust flow to the heat exchanger. Don't know for sure, just might be a possiblity and I hope to find out soon if the the tranny lock-up solenoid modulates or is just off and on.
Old 02-08-2002, 06:55 AM
Green1995SVX

According to the little warning note on my sunvisor, only AT-AWD has this light. (I have it) This probably explains why lwin doesnt. Haha... AT.

-Mike
Old 02-08-2002, 10:50 AM
British Car Junky

Send a message via AIM to EveryShadeofBlue Send a message via Yahoo to EveryShadeofBlue
When that light comes on it means "Start saving your money" or "Hope you have a credit card with about $3,000 to charge."

Jeff
Old 02-08-2002, 11:46 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by Green1995SVX
According to the little warning note on my sunvisor, only AT-AWD has this light. (I have it) This probably explains why lwin doesnt. Haha... AT.

-Mike

Wonders of FWD -- see? less parts to break! Now I don't have to worry about that light blowing up.

lwin