Live Chat!
SVX or Subaru Links
Old Lockers
Photo Post
How-To Documents
Message Archive
SVX Shop Search
IRC users:

Go Back   The Subaru SVX World Network > SVX Main Forums > MOD Mania > ECU Tune Projects

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 2 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 03-29-2015, 08:13 AM
Just some dude.

Significant Technical Input
Re: ECUtune forged pistons for NA SVXii

The new plugs and filter came in so I was able to install the spark plugs and the almost new coil packs. I've always used the NGK double platinum plugs or laser iridium plugs before--the two NGK plug options that have the platinum chip laser welded onto the ground strap. Denso double platinum plugs are pretty commonly available now and I decided to go with them this time. They may not have them in stock locally but they should be able to get them from their warehouse. They are a made in Japan plug and look very good to me. I expect them to be every bit as good as the NGKs. The correct plug is PK20TT or part #4504.

Old 03-29-2015, 12:06 PM
XT6 is SVX's Daddy

Send a message via ICQ to Myxalplyx Send a message via AIM to Myxalplyx Send a message via Yahoo to Myxalplyx

Very nice build! It's quiet here these days. Thought people'd be all over this thread still.
1996 3.3ltr SVX (AWD/Auto) 15.070@91.38mph
***R.I.P***
2010 RAV4 AWD Sport (13.717 @ 99.19mph )
2015 Honda Fit LX CVT (15.2 @ 90mph)
Old 03-29-2015, 04:03 PM
Just some dude.

Thanks, I think it will make the right person very happy. I was just looking at cozykat's thread and realized the build she is wrapping up now has been ongoing since early 2009. Building one of these engines right is a big undertaking. A small minority of SVXs out there are deserving of this engine but for those few cars that are deserving I've gotta think their owners would jump on the chance to get this engine with it's proven short block and completely fresh top end sitting in a crate ready to go the second they are. When else will anyone have the opportunity to get an EG33 with the machining perfection this one has? I'm asking not much more than half what I used to get for the long blocks and it's a whole engine with all the recently replaced coils, sensors, harnesses, etc I run on my gear.

I suspect traffic is up on the site these last 10 days or so even if there isn't a flurry of posting.
Old 03-31-2015, 07:02 PM
Just some dude.

I got the last of the parts today and finished up the timing components. All that's left is installing the intake manifold and putting it in the crate.

Old 04-02-2015, 07:06 PM
Just some dude.

I got a chance to finish this engine today.

Old 04-06-2015, 12:39 PM
Just some dude.

Allright, she's crated. The box is closed and I'm moving on to the next project. I did it just a little bit different than I have in the past. I've always had the engine sit on the edge of 2x10's between the exhaust studs. I did the same thing this time except I added strips of OSB with the bolt pattern drilled in them so I could bolt the engine to cradle.

If anyone here buys this engine you can unscrew the box from the pallet by removing the screws along the bottom edge and then lift the box straight up and off. Then just take off the exhaust manifold nuts and the engine will lift straight off the cradle. No need to disassemble the crate.

Last edited by longassname; 05-16-2015 at 08:51 AM.
Old 04-18-2015, 01:39 PM
Just some dude.

Just to update: this engine is sold.
Old 05-02-2015, 03:59 PM
Just some dude.

The purchaser of this engine is going to save it for a rainy day so we figured we better do something to stop the fuel system from getting gummed up. I happen to have a Mercury Optimax outboard engine on my bay boat. Optimax engines are direct injection using side feed injectors much like ours and Mercury has products and directions for preparing their engines for storage--so we figured we would use their products to prepare our EG33 fuel system for storage.

So I opened up the crate enough to get the manifold off.

The two products I used were Mercury Quickleen fuel injector and fuel system cleaner and Mercury Quickstor fuel stabilizer. I mixed them 50/50 in a quart mixing pale I turned into a tempory svx gas tank. I wired a spare svx fuel pump up to a marine battery with a switch to turn the pump on and off. Now is not the time to be jumping wires by hand. I used a new piece of fuel hose to connect the pump to the fuel line on the manifold and another new piece of fuel hose to run a return line to the pale. The fuel pump sprays fuel out of holes on the top as well as the hose fitting so I had to cover the fuel pump with something to stop it from being a fuel fountain. I used a plastic bag from the grocery store which worked fine. This rig allowed me to continuously run the mix through the fuel system just like happens in the car.

Next I wanted to actually flush the fuel injectors and leave a less concentrated mix in the fuel system for storage. So I added gasoline to the mix. Using an extra fuel injector harness plug and a boat horn switch, which is a momentary switch, I made myself a rig to easily open a fuel injector for however long I wanted. With rig #1 pumping the injector cleaner, fuel stabilizer, fuel mix through the system I opened each injector for 5 seconds letting each spray the mix into my plastic work cart (this is why I removed the manifold from the engine).

With the cart cleaned up, the fuel system cleaned up, and the fuel system full of a stabilized fuel and fuel injector cleaner mix I cut a piece of the fuel hose to connect the fuel in and return lines so the mix can't evaporate. I left the manifold sitting on blocks for a while to dry out then re-installed it and closed up the crate.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: