SVX Shop Search
IRC users:

Go Back   The Subaru SVX World Network > SVX Main Forums > Eddycat's Garage
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-30-2001, 07:13 PM
cmoreloc13

Transmission Flush

Eddy,

I have a '92 LS-L(4/91) with 120K on the clock. It has the aux. Transmission filter in place. I'm the fourth owner, so I don't know when the filter was installed. The trans is showing signs of aging, slower shifts and such, but not, I don't feel, impending failure. I'm intending on having
the Trans flushed by a good shop here that has the right equipment.

My worry involves the alleged transmission failures caused by the flushing process dislodging materials which subsequently block passages or valves. Do you believe that this is a legitimate
problem or just an unhappy coincidence for those who seem to have experienced it?

I drive the car every day(25000 since 6/00), so I'm just a little paranoid. I've been reading your posts on Yahoo since 2/00 and on here recently. Your answers to people seem well considered
and I've come to respect your opinion. So, whatcha think?

Chuck
Old 08-30-2001, 11:33 PM
Dumba$$ Mechanic

Well Chuck,

I never worked (as a tech) at a shop that had a trans flush machine. I always just dumped the fluid using the drain plug. I don't think I'd worry about flushing it unless I was going to change to a synthetic oil or something. As far as loosening up particulates and then having them clog something, I doubt that would happen. If it were a problem then I think that the shops that do use a flush machine would have a ton of irate customers with dead transmissions filing lawsuits.

Sorry I can't be more help, I know this post sounds kind of wishy-washy.
Old 08-31-2001, 01:11 AM
cmoreloc13

Eddy,

I appreciate the prompt reply. I am switching to a synthetic. I have a supply of Mobile 1 synthetic ATF. I have enough to fill the machine which will allow a complete flush and changeover. My understanding is that synthetic ATF's have a heavier detergent action than
standard ATF. Kind of a catch 22 when considering the loose particle problem. I am probably just going to go ahead and do it. It does need it. Thanks for the input.

Chuck
Old 09-07-2001, 02:22 AM
cmoreloc13

Transmission Flush

Eddy,

I've had the flush done and am now running Mobil 1 ATF. I also put in an external cooler. This seems to have revitalized my trans. It now shifts worlds better. Evidently, the previous owner prevaricated a bit when he told me it had recently been flushed. You should have seen what the old fluid looked like. Sludge would probably be a more accurate term. Be that as it may, so far so good. The trans. now, at least feels like it will last quite a bit longer than I thought it would before the flush. Fingers and toes are crossed. Thanks for your thoughts.

P.S. It's funny to note my "Junior Member" status. At 53 I guess I should enjoy being junior anything.

Last edited by cmoreloc13; 09-07-2001 at 02:25 AM.
Old 09-07-2001, 03:06 AM
Dumba$$ Mechanic

Re: Transmission Flush

Quote:
Originally posted by cmoreloc13

P.S. It's funny to note my "Junior Member" status. At 53 I guess I should enjoy being junior anything.
Glad to hear the trans is working better. The junior member thing is just related to amount of posts made. But you can go to your user profile and change it to say whatever you'd like.
Old 09-07-2001, 09:16 AM
This account is scheduled to be deleted for inactivity

Send a message via ICQ to cocacola08 Send a message via AIM to cocacola08 Send a message via Yahoo to cocacola08
Re: Re: Transmission Flush

Quote:
Originally posted by eddycat2000

Glad to hear the trans is working better. The junior member thing is just related to amount of posts made. But you can go to your user profile and change it to say whatever you'd like.
Seeing as I am a senior member, do I get discounts at restaurants?
Old 09-07-2001, 09:25 AM
cmoreloc13

Talking Transmission Flush

Whatever status my number of posts merit is fine with me. It's nice to be junior somewhere. The longer you're around, the harder that is.
Old 09-09-2001, 08:11 PM

Registered SVX
Hi Chuck, I'm 7 years older than you, became a member last month, you are right about junior, hadn't been since high school. Do you have an ATF temp gauge? Would be very interested in your fluid temp. I had a flush done last week, my temp went UP 20 degrees. Since the flush I have installed an ATF cooler, no change in temp. Next another flush and synthetic ATF. Tranny is working fine, no bad signs at all.
Old 09-10-2001, 08:31 AM
cmoreloc13

Transmission Flush

dromano,

No temp. gauge. Thought about it though. I did switch to Mobil 1 synthetic. My trans does not feel as good as my daughter's(92 Black/Silver,108K), but, hers has a reman. trans with less than 2K on it. However, it feels enough better that it is like a different trans. Cooler went on right after the flush. Just no idea about temp.

It's curious that your temp. went up. What was it and what is it now? Was it and is it in an acceptable range? Is your gauge stuck?

As an aside, to the question at hand. How do you like your ART rotors. Did you use their pads,
OEM or what. If ART pads or other aftermarket, are they noisy? I've been checking out the ART site and have priced a set with pads. So, naturally, I'm curious. Alternator upgrade goes in this week.
Old 09-10-2001, 09:47 AM

Registered SVX
Chuck, after I installed the temp gauge the high was 190 degrees. After the flush (fluid is mopar dexron III) high of 215. The flush runs backward to the normal flow, could have dislodged sludge that is now restricting flow. Gauge is not stuck. Doing another flush this week, Royal Purple synthetic going in....and new Fram X2 fluid filter.

The ART rotors are the first departure from oem. So far I am happy. I used the semi metalic pads ART quoted for $45. I have no brake noise. I like the cad plating, for our part of the world it's a good thing.
David