Message Archive
SVX Shop Search
IRC users:

Go Back   The Subaru SVX World Network > SVX Main Forums > MOD Mania
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 02-08-2003, 11:07 AM
Registered Abuser

True dual is done.

I'm going to run some times today and I will post them with all the details later today.

Stephen
94 Barcelona - FWD SOLD
92 Ebony - 3.90 SOLD
94 Laguna ROLLING w/4.44s/Ecutune ECU +TCU/STI springs/Infiniti M45 rims
Old 02-08-2003, 03:46 PM
Registered Abuser

The good news is that it fits awesome. The outlets are perfectly centered and the whole system sits higher than the factory one. Its not nearly as loud as I thought it would be. Cruising at 70 is barely louder than stock. Hard acceleration does produce some noise though.

The bad news is the car is significantly slower. Bottom end is gone, midrange is lacking a little and top end is about the same. It is 2" from the front cats all the way back on each side.
My composite time was 0-60 in 8.06 and 1/4 mile in 16.20 at 90 mph. AT + AWD= very consistent times. That really sucks. I gained about a second over stock. My black car ran 7.1 + 15.2 and it was noticeably slower than this one. I did not run any nitrous on these runs. I will be switching back to the stock system tommorrow for more times. I did not run any times on this car with the stock system. So it will be an after and before. I may have an O2 sensor problem though. I swapped my pass. side cat at the same time I did the exhaust. On my way to the timing, it died at a stop light(first time in any SVX in 3 years). Then the C/E light came on for about a minute. Maybe I tweaked the wire on the O2 sensor. I will have to pull that code if I can, and see. There is no exhaust leak, so what's the freakin' problem? Any ideas or suggestions? That stock exhaust system is looking pretty good right about now. Where is SVX powerman?
94 Barcelona - FWD SOLD
92 Ebony - 3.90 SOLD
Old 02-08-2003, 09:04 PM
Official AutoX Part Breaker
Subaru Gold Contributor

Registered SVX
interesting....

A "dinged" o2 sensor could be part of the problem, but I'm also thinking that the way the boxer's cam and exhaust is matched in its stock form my be leading to over scavenging when you switch to a true dual system...still wondering if a "H" pipe would help this engine....

Most famous NASA "Child" - OSIRIS-REx delivered samples from asteroid BENNU to Earth in Sept. 2023

Center Network Member #989

'92 Fully caged, 5 speed, waiting for its fully built EG33
'92 "Test Mule", 4:44 Auto, JDM 4:44 Rear Diff with Mech LSD, Tuned headers, Full one-off suspension
'92(?) Laguna, 6 spd and other stuff (still at OT's place)
My Locker
Old 02-08-2003, 09:09 PM

Send a message via Yahoo to svxboy
dual exhaust

I have ran my SVX for over 2 years now with a true dual exhaust with no problems at all. But I did notice the slight loss in low end power with the gain in mid to high end power. I placed an X-pipe just after the two converters to combine flow from both sides. Torque increased and the tone was deeper, slightly quieter and overall better sounding. An H-pipe would help a little too, but the X-pipe offers complete cross of exhaust gases.
-Greg
92 Teal SVX LS, Superwhite headlamps and front turn signals, Premier DEX-P1R Deck, A/D/S P850 and Earthquake 200DHC amps, PG Bass Cube, 3-10 in. Diamond Audio subs, A/D/S 346is front components, and Vifa rear 6x9's. B&M tranny cooler and temp. gauge. Flowmaster custom dual exhaust, Tenzo-R conical intake filter, JC Sports torque chip, and a Mid-Height wing for an Integra that fits perfectly and stands 6.5 in. tall. ART front and rear cryo/slotted rotors, SS brake lines and EBC "Green Stuff" pads. My email address= fastestsvx@yahoo.com
Old 02-08-2003, 09:28 PM
Subaru Gold Contributor

Registered SVX
Re: dual exhaust

Quote:
Originally posted by svxboy
I have ran my SVX for over 2 years now with a true dual exhaust with no problems at all. But I did notice the slight loss in low end power with the gain in mid to high end power. I placed an X-pipe just after the two converters to combine flow from both sides. Torque increased and the tone was deeper, slightly quieter and overall better sounding. An H-pipe would help a little too, but the X-pipe offers complete cross of exhaust gases.
-Greg
Greg,
Did you weld up the X-pipe yourself? Does each "leg" of the X just cross over to the opposite main pipe, or do they actually intersect (if so, sounds like a "fun" welding job) What mufflers are you using? Do you have any pictures of your set up?
Thanks.
-Bill

Most famous NASA "Child" - OSIRIS-REx delivered samples from asteroid BENNU to Earth in Sept. 2023

'92 "Test Mule", 4:44 Auto, JDM 4:44 Rear Diff with Mech LSD, Tuned headers, Full one-off suspension
My Locker
Old 02-09-2003, 07:55 AM
Thread Killah
Alcyone Gold Contributor

Registered SVX
I've run an "open" exhaust for a while now and in comparison with the wife's svx I hate to admit that her's definitely has a stronger lower end. I am pretty confident that I have a better top end but when we race she jumps me off the line and I don't catch up until we're into 2nd gear. She also has a 50k miles newer engine which may or may not be a factor. Who knows.
When we're both doing about 40-50 and nail it I will pull away from her.
92 Ebony LS-L ECUtune Stage2av1, Z32 MAF, 370cc injectors, TomsSVX intake, BontragerWorks 22mm RSB #003, HID Hi and Lo beams, OT endlink and bushing mods, PWR Aluminum radiator, Harvey's QC shift kit, 2.5" flowmaster 80 exhaust, 17" Michelin Pilot Sport A/S, Poly sway bar bushings, Slotted Bradi rotors, AFBeefcake powdercoated calipers, 97 grill, and a huge set of air horns. 300,000 miles and counting
92 Ebony LS-L. ecutune stage1v4, motorsport 1pc pulley. Garage Queen - sold to Dad in upstate NY 155,000 miles
19 Subaru Ascent Premium - -Hers !.
89 DL 4x4 little red wagon - a.k.a. The immortal suby. 275k R.I.P.
Old 02-09-2003, 12:21 PM

Send a message via Skype™ to CigarJohnny
You reduce the back pressure and you lose some torque. That's why you gotta keep some. It's all trial and error to find the best compromise.

Ebony Mica '92 LS 80K Oct 2002 - Dec 2004: Victim of theft. She served me well.

You can tell the lack of craftsmanship by the wrinkles in the duct tape.
Old 02-09-2003, 05:36 PM
Registered Abuser

Just as I though

I did pull an O2 sensor code, so I will be replacing both shortly. Then I will better be able to sort through my numbers.
94 Barcelona - FWD SOLD
92 Ebony - 3.90 SOLD
Old 02-09-2003, 06:42 PM

svxride

The X-pipe does intersect. I bought it pre-made from flowtech. (I manage an autoparts store, so I have stacks of catalogs to look through to find stuff). I am using the Flowmaster 60 series mufflers and love the way they sound. Pics are in my locker, check'em out.
-Greg
92 Teal SVX LS, Superwhite headlamps and front turn signals, Premier DEX-P1R Deck, A/D/S P850 and Earthquake 200DHC amps, PG Bass Cube, 3-10 in. Diamond Audio subs, A/D/S 346is front components, and Vifa rear 6x9's. B&M tranny cooler and temp. gauge. Flowmaster custom dual exhaust, Tenzo-R conical intake filter, JC Sports torque chip, and a Mid-Height wing for an Integra that fits perfectly and stands 6.5 in. tall. ART front and rear cryo/slotted rotors, SS brake lines and EBC "Green Stuff" pads. My email address= fastestsvx@yahoo.com
Old 02-09-2003, 07:36 PM
I abuse them one at a time

Location: Northbrook, Illinois, USA, Earth, Solar System... you get the picture
Send a message via AIM to Seraph Send a message via Skype™ to Seraph
Greg, I was thinking about flowmaster 40series for my car. I used to run 40s or was it 80s in my 95 Camaro. The ones with single in and dual outs.

How does the sound compare between 40s and 60s?

Also where is your X?

L
Previous SVXes: •1994 LE Barcelona Red 107k • 1992 LS-L Pearl White 143k • 1994 LSi Bordeaux Pearl 220k • 1992 LS-L Ebony Pearl 184k • 1992 LS-L Liquid Silver 145k • 1992 LS-L Liquid Silver 102k • 1992 LS-L Ebony Pearl 123k
Other current cars:2001 Jeep Grand Cherokee Black
If at first you don't succeed, CHEAT!
Old 02-09-2003, 08:48 PM
Subaru Gold Contributor

Registered SVX
svxboy

Greg,
Checked the pics in your locker and that is one clean exhaust system. Did you do it yourself or did you have a local muffler shop bend it up for you? Like the piece of angle iron tying the two mufflers together. Problem -- looked at all of the pics, but couldn't find the X pipe anywhere. Did it get added later and the pic hasn't made its way into your locker yet?
Thanks.

My Locker
Old 02-10-2003, 04:34 PM

Exhaust

I had the exhaust bent at a small private garage outside of Madison WI called Mac's muffler, the installer, Wayne, is one awesome guy and is willing to tackle any crazy project. He just installed my Koni/ Ground Control suspension last week. Your the first person to notice the angle iron on the mufflers. The X-pipe was installed a year later and I did not have the camera at the time to take pictures of it, but is is installed right where the 3rd cat would normally be.

To Seraph: The 40 series and 80 series have the same sound/tone, but the 80 series is just the single in dual out crossflow style. My friend's girlfriend's SVX has a dual 40 series setup on her car. It sounds a little louder, but not quite as deep as the 60 series. I prefer the 60 series. Personally, I want to try a new exhaust setup using a Flowmaster dual in/out muffler located where the original resonator went. (If it will fit, I haven't measured it yet.) This would lighten the whole exhaust quite a bit, cost less (only one muffler), and transfer the weight more forward. (less weight behind the rear tires) Probably have to go with a 50 or 70 series.

-Greg
Old 02-10-2003, 06:01 PM
not just a fan, a Member!

if you don't mind me asking... how much was your exhaust set up at mac's muffler??
Old 02-10-2003, 07:17 PM
svxtremist2001

Alex - sounds like you are working on some cool **** you ever get up here in the seattle area I would love to see when you get it how you like it some day I may have to buy a second SVX for a mod car, can't mod my anniversary tho!!!
Old 02-10-2003, 07:29 PM

I have purchased the twin tunder tubes that I will install in the center of car and than put backup lights where the stock tips are. look a pictures to see what you think. I'm not sure which is better though. twin 2inch duals or one 2.5inch pipe.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg svx quad thunder tubes.jpg (237.4 KB, 276 views)

Last edited by SVXPILOT; 02-10-2003 at 07:35 PM.