Live Chat!
SVX or Subaru Links
Old Lockers
Photo Post
How-To Documents
Message Archive
SVX Shop Search
IRC users:

Go Back   The Subaru SVX World Network > SVX Main Forums > MOD Mania > Body Modifications
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 02-08-2010, 01:56 AM
Alleged User

Registered SVX
Re: SVX LED Taillights

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seraphinwolf View Post
What do you mean wait to see installed? Didn't you see the vids and pics of them on my Bordeaux?
What I meant was I can't wait to see some pictures of the whole thing installed in different lighting scenarios (overcast, evening, nighttime etc.) with the trunk closed so you can see the set up as a whole. And as mentioned before, a video driving behind them would be nice too if possible.

1997 SVX LSi Bordeaux Pearl
1995 SVX L AWD Polo Green - 277k miles
1986 Pontiac Fiero 3.4L Twin Dual Cam V6
Old 02-08-2010, 02:15 AM
H6 THE ONLY WAY!

Send a message via AIM to Seraphinwolf Send a message via Yahoo to Seraphinwolf

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coan View Post
What I meant was I can't wait to see some pictures of the whole thing installed in different lighting scenarios (overcast, evening, nighttime etc.) with the trunk closed so you can see the set up as a whole. And as mentioned before, a video driving behind them would be nice too if possible.
Well I'm hoping soon.
Rota Tarmac 3's 18x8" on 245/40/18 Dunlop SP Sport 600's, Perrin light weight crank pulley, PRW radiator, custom coilovers(not GC's), 9006 HID 4300k 50W low beams, DIY garage door lip, and SVXfiles brake kit. Fixxed exhaust so no more sweet sound.

97 White/Black trim Impreza Outback Sport (March 13/08) 150K-180K(sensor broken)Good news is EZ30R and 05' 6speed full powertrain swap is in motion!: Will be doing more work as I can. Gonna be run by a Hydra so yeah fun to be had.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
-Gaddis
Old 02-08-2010, 05:44 PM

The taillights should get to Macguyver a week from now.
Old 02-17-2010, 10:56 AM
Was MacGyver

Registered SVX

Update! I got the tail lights end of last week and the center section yesterday evening!

I haven't opened up the box with the center bar, but the tail lights look great! Very professional job and they basically look stock, with just a hint of something different when you look closely into the lens.

I can't wait to install them today and see what they actually look like lit up!

I'll take lots of pictures each step of the way* and hopefully have some posted up here soon.

* Remember, mine are the prototypes so they are already put together by Chris, so I'll only be able to speak to and have pictures of a fully assembled product, not the entire process.

1992 SVX LSL "Serenity" 250,000 miles!

I don't care, I'm still free, You can't take the sky from me...
Old 02-18-2010, 10:41 AM

I can't wait to see the lights installed on your car!
Old 02-19-2010, 12:54 PM
Was MacGyver

Registered SVX

These are so cool!

I got all 3 pieces installed this morning, but took pictures along the way for comparison of stock vs. LED also. Eventually hope to get another SVX over here for a photo/video side by side comparison (yes, including some driving footage too). But for now hopefully these will do.

Before I start getting into pictures a quick rundown of my impressions....

The Good

- In the end (after you put it all together), the finished product will be 95% plug-n-play and stock-looking. Of course since this is a DIY kit, there is room for customization or dare I say errors in putting it together, but the kit takes care of the hard part (the electrical) and I think if you can follow instructions well, you should end up with what I have.

- The light output is fantastic! You'll see some side by side comparisons in daylight, unfortunately I won't have any from night until I get another SVX over here. But if I can notice a big difference in overcast daylight, then there IS a difference! You need shades to stare straight into them.

- They are much brighter, but they are not radical, extreme, or ricey. They look like they came on the car from the factory. On my version Chris left the diffusers in, which hides the LEDs when they are not on - if you look really close you can see something is different in there, but it just has a "crystal" type effect and actually "updates" the look of the taillights, while again still looking SVX-correct. The fact the diffusers are still in I think helps spread the light correctly as the engineers intended, and they look great. If someone wanted a more extreme custom look, they could easily just leave the diffusers out, but not sure how that would look or if it would distribute the light in all directions as well. Something I may experiment with down the road. With the way Chris makes the light boards, I think it may also be fairly easy for him to completely customize the LED arrangement, but I think what we have here now goes well with the SVX.

Needs Improvement

- The turn signals work 100% perfect, timing does not change at all......... but I get a "Stop Lamp" warning light on the dash when hitting the brakes. This is a bit of an annoyance, we'll have to get our heads together in this thread and see if we can work out a solution.

- You have to connect the center light section to both side sections for it to work. It is basically piggybacking off the controllers that are built into the side lights. In my prototype version there is plenty of wiring to route it in the trunk lining and down into the tail light covers, with minimal wiring showing on both sides by the trunk hinges. My concern is that wire being crimped - if I tie it to the strut, it is outside the trunk seal and has to cross it to connect to the tail lights. I have it like this for now, but ultimately may move it through the grommets on the passenger side the same route the stock wiring goes for a full OEM (and crimp-proof) look. The other solution would be to have 2 more controllers built into the center tail section, but I'm not sure the implications of that. EDIT: This is now a non-issue as the kits will have the additional controllers built in.

All in all, I'm very pleased with these tail lights so far. I can't wait to see them tonight after dark and give them a full road test tonight as well.

These are the prototypes, so chime in with your thoughts now and I will definitely keep things updated as I use these in the real world on my daily driver.

Last edited by WestCoastSVX; 02-22-2010 at 09:45 AM.
Old 02-19-2010, 03:44 PM
Was MacGyver

Registered SVX

Okay, to start off, a few pictures before the install to compare the look of the housings with the lights off....

LED on top, OEM on the bottom.

OEM on top, LED on the bottom.

Finished product from the back - the white plug connects to the center tail light (FINISHED KITS WILL NOT NEED THIS), the gold resistor makes the turn signal flash correctly.

OEM power plug still powers lights and functions normally - nothing is cut or altered, my other lights could be back in like from the factory in 5 minutes.

Center taillight section - extra wire/plug goes from each side down to main brake light/turn signal assemblies (FINISHED KITS WILL NOT NEED THIS).

Last edited by WestCoastSVX; 02-22-2010 at 09:48 AM.
Old 02-19-2010, 06:09 PM

Awesome writeup! The addressed issues will be fixed. I plan to put 2 other controllers in the center section os future customers won't need the extra connector and wiring. I will also investigate hte brake warning light.
Old 02-19-2010, 10:28 PM

Registered SVX

Quote:
Originally Posted by apkarian100 View Post
Awesome writeup! The addressed issues will be fixed. I plan to put 2 other controllers in the center section os future customers won't need the extra connector and wiring. I will also investigate hte brake warning light.
I can help you with that brake light warning.
The filament bulb has power pass through it at all times, unless the filament breaks that is how the car knows the bulb burnt out. To fix the problem use a small resister, 3.2k I think in the circuit to allow the current to pass through.
Old 02-19-2010, 11:17 PM
Super Moderator
Alcyone Gold Contributor

Significant Technical Input Registered SVX Classic SVX

The stop lamp checker (which controls the brake light warning in the dash) uses the amperage difference between the trunk panel and the two body mounted stop lights to determine if a bulb is bad. Very similar design to a GFCI outlet in your house.

If you have unmatched wattage bulbs, the difference in amperage can be enough to trigger the checker even if all four bulbs work. Bulbs are dirt cheap so if one burns out, I replace all four with the same brand and amperage.

The rear stop light sensor works by separating the stop lamps into two circuits, each with two bulbs. The two center panel lights are one circuit and the two outside lights are the other.

The two circuits each go into a sensor and each current draw is measured. If it is not in balance (ie, one circuit has two bulbs, the other only has one working) the "stop lamp" on the dash comes on.

The manual tells you the only "fooled" instance. If one bulb from the center panel is burned out and one bulb on an outer light is burned out, the "stop lamp" indicator will not come on.

It has a fail-safe provision so if all four bulbs are burned out (zero current flow) it triggers the light.

If you put higher wattage bulbs in the center panel but regular bulbs in the outer lights, the imbalance will trigger an indicator, even though all four bulbs light.

If you replace your lights with LEDs, the light will trigger because the LEDs use next to no current, so the sensor thinks all four bulbs are burned out.

I wonder what the current draw difference is between the center panel tail lights and the ones in each fender. Hoe many LEDs are in each one?

1996 Polo Green LSi #216..138,100 miles...SOLD

JFICX8659TH100216.....Date of Manufacture: November 16, 1995.....
Fuji Heavy Industries..Ōta North Plant....Ōta City,. Gunma Prefecture, Japan

In-Service Date: January 2, 1997

"The Pristine Green Polo Machine”
First Polo Green on the Network
First Clear front turn signals, JDM Alcyone hood emblem, rear panel, and BOXER engine cover on the Network (US) (2000)
First 5000K HID factory fog lights (2007)
First SVX JDM BBS wheels on a USDM SVX (2013)

HID lighting (5000K) for headlight and H3 fog lights, PIAA SuperExtreme 120W high beams, rebuilt EG33 longblock, Cometic head gaskets, Phase II flexplate, AMR aluminum radiator with custom silicone hoses, 160A high-output alternator in aluminum-ceramic coated case, new design alternator wiring upgrade v.4, rare factory headlight protectors, refinished JDM BBS mesh aluminum wheels and custom, polished billet aluminum new hex center caps, LED grille mod, R1 Concepts high-carbon cryo slotted rotors, Akebono ceramic pads, Goodridge S/S braided brake lines, Smallcar Stage 1 shift kit, ThermalTech aluminum/ceramic-coated valve covers, Energy Suspension urethane front & rear swaybar bushings, Bontrager22 rear swaybar with QS Components Chromoly Teflon/Kevlar endlinks, "$15.00/5 minute" suspension mod. Hella Supertone horns, Custom stainless steel exhaust system with 2" headpipes, Magnaflow cats, AeroTurbine AR25 resonator /AWD "Bullet" muffler.

R.I.P. 2010 Subaru Outback Limited 2.5 CVT...338,000 miles. Totaled by a 1,300 lb. COW March 4, 2016

2014 Hyundai Avante Limited ...178,000 miles. Actually quieter and smoother than the Outback

2007 Mazda Miata MX-5 PRHT...102,000 miles.
Plenty of parts, service and windshields.

4th Registered Network member —2/21/2001

My NEW locker..I...My Email..I..Wikipedia/SVX .

Last edited by svxcess; 02-22-2010 at 10:24 PM.
Old 02-20-2010, 09:59 AM

Each LED arary for the parking/brake lights uses 0.5A of power, way less than the standard bulbs, which use around 2A of power.
Old 02-22-2010, 09:53 AM
Was MacGyver

Registered SVX

So just to summarize what John (svxcess) says (and see if I get this right)...

On the SVX, the brake bulb warning system works in 2 ways:

1) Difference in voltage between bulbs

2) Secondary failsafe if ALL bulbs are unplugged (because system 1 wouldn't catch that as they would all be the "same", ie, 0 voltage).

So in my case, I think we are good on 1, because as far as I can tell all four brake light panels have an identical amount of LEDs, is that right, Chris?

But we run into trouble on 2, because the amperage is so much lower than the old bulbs, it is registering as no bulbs installed.

Not that this gets us any further, but just to clarify things for anyone trying to think up solutions. This is probably different than a lot of other cars.

Last edited by WestCoastSVX; 02-22-2010 at 02:04 PM.
Old 02-22-2010, 09:54 AM
Was MacGyver

Registered SVX

FYI, I editted my first impressions thread and pictures thread to illustrate that one of my issues will not be an issue on your final products.

Old 02-22-2010, 10:25 AM
Was MacGyver

Registered SVX

Daylight - Overcast - Turn Signals

LED right turn signal.

Both signals on - OEM on left, LED on right.

LED right turn signal and parking light, OEM center bar parking light.

LED right turn signal and parking light, OEM center bar parking light.

Last edited by WestCoastSVX; 02-22-2010 at 01:26 PM.
Old 02-22-2010, 01:25 PM
Was MacGyver

Registered SVX

Daylight - Overcast - Parking/Brakes

Parking lights on - LED right side, OEM middle section.

Parking lights on - LED right side, OEM all others.

Brake lights on - LED right side, OEM middle section.

Brake lights on - LED right side, OEM all others.

Brake lights on - LED right side, OEM all others.

Parking lights on - LED both sides, OEM center section.

Last edited by WestCoastSVX; 02-22-2010 at 01:39 PM.