Go Back   The Subaru SVX World Network > SVX Main Forums > General SVX Babble
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 04-14-2003, 02:06 PM
Was MacGyver

Registered SVX
[QUOTE]Originally posted by jwzekas
Hi,

Just a couple more thoughts:

1. I figure a "west coast car" would be better-- no salt on the roads here! True?

Not sure what the guys back east will say, but I would tend to agree. The SVX body panels were treated with something to prevent rust, but not being exposed to salt in its life can't hurt, right? I know of at least one midwest member that doesn't drive his car in winter (despite how fun these cars can be in the snow) specifically to avoid the salt.

2. Looking at Autotrader.com, prices are from $14000 down to $5,000. Okay, now some guy claims that "front wheel drive is rare" on the SVX. True? Personally, I live in snow country, so AWD is preferable... otherwise, why get a Subie? I mean, the only other AWD sports cars are the Audi TT and Porsche AWD Carrera!!! I little too pricy for me! Besides, Porsches are SO common!!! (at least here in Northern California).

Yes, you could say that FWD is rare on the SVX. A large percentage of all SVXes were sold in 92-93 before FWD was available. I think FWD was only available in 94-95, when Subaru offered that as an option on all their models to bring costs down. Soon after they went back to being strictly AWD, what they are famous for. So for SVXes, you are looking at only maybe half the cars sold in two years that weren't big selling years for the SVX to start with. So relatively rare. But that doesn't make it a good thing! Most FWD SVX owners will tell you that they are a bit faster, which makes sense, but that can be disputed. And even if they were, the AWD is so much more fun to drive I'm sure and great in the snow!

3. Years ago, I was told by a buddy, "Buy a car from someone who belongs to an enthusiast's club-- it will be better taken care of, and he'll probably have all the maintenance records." True?

I've never been in a position to decide on a dream car to buy and then take a long time hand picking the perfect one. If I ever get in that position this seems to be good advice though. In the case of the SVX of course, there aren't really any organized clubs outside of this site, so your best bet might be to find one being sold on here. Of course there is always the great deal out there waiting to be found the old fashioned way too!

1992 SVX LSL "Serenity" 250,000 miles!

I don't care, I'm still free, You can't take the sky from me...
Old 04-14-2003, 04:15 PM

hello and welcome to the network....

don't mind the crazy person in the corner rocking back and forth while drooling on their newly aquired svx shirt...he just came back from one of our meets and was over stimulated. i will give him some haldol and lithium and he will be fine in the morning...

good luck on the car search...just anyone that says they have a stock supercharge in the svx from ebay...don't buy and...also if the picture shows that the wheels are on backwards, question it

any questions ask away...i bet you can't stump this bunch

Kelli
1992 LS-L Pearl 124k
"Yeah, that thingy!"
owner of the new 1992 LS-L Pearl "Susie"
I am a pessimistic optimistic. I think the worst is going to happen, that way when it does, i don't feel as bad, but if the best happens, i am twice as happy.
Old 04-15-2003, 12:11 AM

Send a message via ICQ to Pure_Insanity8 Send a message via AIM to Pure_Insanity8
Welcome aboard jwzekas, good to have another "oddball" who can appeciate the looks of an SVX. Did you look in Earl's locker at his Laguna Blue one? I think that is probably the coolest looking SVX around... great mods done to it, too. If you get your hands on one, then this is a great place to have any questions about it (among other subjects ) answered.

Reminds me. Did anyone else see the Polo '92 for sale on Ebay? It has less than 40,000 miles! I was selfish and didn't post about it 'cause I was hoping to buy it... but it sold. Man, I really need a new daily driver.

SVX: '92 Dark Teal 101k

'97 Legacy GT Wagon: dead
'99 Civic Si: daily driver... stolen and stripped with all my tools!
'92 Yamaha FZR 600: garage
2011 Jetta: Daily disappointment
Old 04-15-2003, 04:16 AM
Jersey Girl
Alcyone Gold Contributor

Send a message via Skype™ to svxistentialist
Registered SVX
Thumbs up

[QUOTE]Originally posted by jwzekas
Two thoughts:

2. Joe: Why "after 1994"? According to one SVX website, "There were no major differences" during the years of production-- or were there?

Zeke

Johnny has already answered this and quite well. I agree with his approach to buying based on condition and price.

94s and on had a modified autobox. The casing is bigger to accomodate a larger sprag, whatever that is. However, the early trannies failed a lot because one of the clutches, lock-up one I think, was supplied with the wrong friction material for the torque of the SVX.

This caused the material to burn up and flake off, and with no filter, the material found its way into smaller passages and holes, and caused planetary failure. If a reman tranny, even from suby, has not had these particles totally cleaned from all holes, crevasses, passages, then the reman box is also heading for a failure. If the car has had a reman replacement, it is going to be a rebuilt 92 box, not a 94, because the case is slightly different, and the wiring loom is also[separate wire to the speedo]

Buying a 94 with the modified box, you will not have this problem. Next SVX I buy will be a 95-97 model.

Joe
White X2 RVR Mitsubishi 1800GDI. Vantastic

40,000 miles Jersey Girl
Old 04-15-2003, 12:44 PM

Re: Another New Guy

Quote:
Originally posted by jwzekas
3. Where do you get parts on the west coast? (I live near the California/Oregon border, but will drive up to Seattle, if necessary).
i just had a good SVX parts order experience with subaruparts.com. online ordering, exactly the right items arrived several days after the order and saved about 30% on my hood lifters.

let me know if you become an SVX owner. i am planning a drive to N. CA. in May. Details unclear as yet, but keep me in mind if you buy. send a private message to seasvx.
Old 04-15-2003, 01:09 PM
Rat Fink Member ~:o)

Send a message via ICQ to Aredubjay Send a message via AIM to Aredubjay Send a message via Yahoo to Aredubjay
Registered SVX
Zeke,
I just wanted to add my welcome. Looks like you've already had all your questions answered. Have fun, and enjoy the ride, and the Network.
First to arrive at the very first Reading Meet
Subaru Ambassador

1992 SVX PPG Pace Car Replica 110+k
1993 White Impreza L 240+K miles
2001 Legacy Outback Limited Sedan 250+K miles
2013 Deep Indigo Pearl Legacy 3.6R 49+K miles

"Reading is my favorite Holiday"
Mike Davis -- at Reading VI
Old 04-15-2003, 01:50 PM
jwzekas

Okay, ONE LAST QUESTION, I promise!!!

Someone mentioned (on another thread) a "five speed gearbox conversion".

Is this EASILY accomplished, or a pain in the tuchus? Which Subie 5-speed is used?

I tend to opposed "mods", only because they usually don't work as well as stock (my father-in-law is installing a Buick motor in his Triumph TR-7-- scary!!!

My thought is: When (not "if") the tranny blows, put in a 5 speed? Or is that too much hassle? (changing controls, pedals, console, etc, ad infinitum). Or keep the auto, since "stock" vehicles are always worth more (assuming the SVX becomes a "classic" or "collectible" someday).

Your comments would be appreciated.

PS The clutch on my Impreza, with 60,000 miles, is starting to slip... guess this is common (short clutch life) with Subies... not like my Honda, which went 120,000 miles on the original clutch! Oh well, "the beauty of all wheel drive", right?
==================
Old 04-15-2003, 02:16 PM
Fight Eminent Domain Abuse!

Send a message via AIM to mohrds Send a message via Yahoo to mohrds
It all depends on if you plan to do it yourself or pay to have the conversion done.

If you do it yourself, there is the issue of welding, lengthening the driveshaft and shifter rods and some mount fabricating.

If you have it done, there is the issue of expense.

See Huck's locker for a how to on doing it yourself.

I plan on doing the conversion myself once my car gets shipped back to me.

Oh, and welcome to the network.

Doug
Black over Claret with 2.5" setback spoiler; 202,000 miles; Mods: B&M Cooler
1994 LSi (4/93)
Bordeaux Pearl; 198,000 miles; Mods: Weight reduction.

1969 Mustang GT Convertible
1970 Mustang Convertible
2000 Ford Excursion
Sola lingua bona est lingua mortua.

My Locker
Old 04-15-2003, 09:01 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by jwzekas
"five speed gearbox conversion".Or keep the auto, since "stock" vehicles are always worth more (assuming the SVX becomes a "classic" or "collectible" someday).
i'm in the camp that enjoys the car the way it was designed and manufactured. i like the 4-spd auto in this car. i've owned other cars that would just not have been right with an automatic, but this is.

as for "someday", i have no illusions that my (or any other) svx is going to wind up on the block at barrett-jackson, but i enjoy treating it like a collectable anyway. i am the second owner, i received every document the previous owner had, down to his gas pump receipts. i have the original owners manuals, the window sticker (with port of entry/price/epa mileage figures/etc), a 1994 svx brochure, original bill of sale from the dealer, service booklet, etc, etc. i am now in the process of refinishing a set of oe wheels to replace the aftermarket wheels the dealer installed, to return the car to original condition. walter mitty stuff. i may never get to be jay leno but i can have fun at my level anyway.