Message Archive
SVX Shop Search
IRC users:

Go Back   The Subaru SVX World Network > SVX Main Forums > General SVX Babble

Old 01-05-2003, 08:39 AM
Johannes

SVX transmission & VIN

Hi,

I am currently in process of purchasing SVX, propably -92 or -93 from central Europe. I guess you guys in this forum could help me to determine a couple of things, since I haven't owned an SVX before...

a) European SVX models, I hear, are different from U.S. models. Which models exists in -92 and -93, and how to determine which one the car is? Mostly I'm interested in getting the car with speed-sensitive power steering, not the rpm-sensitive. In U.S the speed-sensitive steering came with touring package (and X35 in VIN), Europeans seem to have another VIN coding.

b) How the check the condition & sheer functionality of transmission & 4wd on test drive (dry surface)? I know how 4wd feels (owned Lancia Integrale 16v before), but on non-slippery surface and short test drive 4wd testing will be difficult.

c) By vehicle VIN, is it possible to know which version of tranny is in the car? As we know Subaru made many modification on -92 and -93 to improve the transmission (bigger coolers etc.).

And finally, are there any SVX-specific things to watch out when purchasing car?

Br, Johannes
Old 01-05-2003, 10:32 AM

Send a message via ICQ to Mr. Pockets
Registered SVX
Johannes,

Welcome to the network!

I don't know what model designations were used for SVXs in Europe. In the US, the vehicle-speed sensitive steering was available with the top-end models - first called the LS-L and then eventually the LSi.

As for testing the transmission and AWD functionality on dry pavement, that will be a little difficult. The transmission should shift smoothly through all the gears without any slipping, braking or flaring. In other words, engine speed shouldn't rise and fall significantly during the shift. Watch out especially for the 1-2 and 2-3 upshifts. I also recommend driving the car in an open lot in tight circles, both left and right, to feel for any binding. Make sure you apply at least a little throttle while turning so that the transmission tries to shift torque to the rear.

Before you drive the car, check the transmission fluid. It should be clean, not brownish, and not smell burned. Burned ATF means that the the transmission was overheated at some point since the last fluid change (if any had been done at all) and damage was probably done.

Drive the car at freeway speeds and listen for any excessive noise from the wheel bearings.

Tires should all be of the same model, type and size and all should have similar tread wear. Not rotating the tires regularily on the SVX can lead to unnecessary transmission wear.

I wish you the best of luck, Johannes! Let us know if you buy one, and if you have any more questions, ask away!

2005 RX-8 Grand Touring
2005 Outback
2002 Mercedes-Benz E320 wagon

END OF LINE
Old 01-07-2003, 03:33 AM

Thumbs up Hello...

...Johannes!

Where are you from?
Your name sounds "German"?

mfg hrc
Old 01-07-2003, 07:20 PM
Johannes

Hello Mr. McFly,

I'm actually from Finland. Just for the kicks: we have 8 Subaru SVX's in the country and none have been in sale for 4 years... So I'm going to get mine from CE like I said...propably Germany.

In sake of the common interest: My good friend (a lady, actually) owns the only DeLorean in Finland. Although the Renault engine is kind of let-down.

br, Johannes