How-To Documents
Message Archive
SVX Shop Search
IRC users:

Go Back   The Subaru SVX World Network > SVX Main Forums > General SVX Babble

Old 12-29-2002, 12:21 AM
still in love with Hannah

car insurance, more specifically, State Farm

Has anyone elses car insurnace increased? I have been with State Farm since I started driving(16 years old, now I'm 30) and am seriously considering dropping them. I now pay $157 a month. Up from $137.
1996 Legacy Outback-"Gilda" white with brown trim
Old 12-29-2002, 12:29 AM
I_Alcyone_I

I have also used statefarm since I started driving, and , consider yourself lucky. I am paying 300 dollars a month. Suprisingly they are cheaper than anyone else that I have gotten quotes from. If you have been with statefarm for a couple years and you are on their preffered list, you are going to have a really hard time finding a better rate.

Hey look at that... Post number 500, on to 501.
Old 12-29-2002, 03:03 AM
Not as old as Randy

Significant Technical Input
A lot of it has to do with your record and the amount of claims in your state. I'm 47, single and live in Lousiville, KY. I've been in State Farm's mutual division/company for years now. My SVX premium works out to $76/month - full coverage.
Old 12-29-2002, 06:57 AM

I've also had state farm for years (since 1975). One thing I've learned, and Beav's post prompts this, is that there are (or were) two arms to state farm in some locations. the mutual division is cheaper than the other (don't know it's name). I've moved around a bit over those years (TX, MO, OR, CA, VA, SC, and FL) and I forget which state had both for sale. This was told to me by an agent. might be worth checking. I don't know if I understand it all, I think the difference is like between a credit union and a bank. I do know as a mutual insurance policy holder I get refunds in years where they do better than expected. that doesn't happen for the other kind, just more profit to the company.

All that said, I'm paying about $110/month for full coverage, safe driver, no tickets, age 51. The SVX is a pretty expensive car to insure ($20+ per month over a Toyota MR2 turbo I had before).
Old 12-29-2002, 07:43 AM
still in love with Hannah

Quote:
Originally posted by lee
I've also had state farm for years (since 1975). One thing I've learned, and Beav's post prompts this, is that there are (or were) two arms to state farm in some locations. the mutual division is cheaper than the other (don't know it's name). I've moved around a bit over those years (TX, MO, OR, CA, VA, SC, and FL) and I forget which state had both for sale. This was told to me by an agent. might be worth checking. I don't know if I understand it all, I think the difference is like between a credit union and a bank. I do know as a mutual insurance policy holder I get refunds in years where they do better than expected. that doesn't happen for the other kind, just more profit to the company.

All that said, I'm paying about $110/month for full coverage, safe driver, no tickets, age 51. The SVX is a pretty expensive car to insure ($20+ per month over a Toyota MR2 turbo I had before).
My agent is also the bank. I was thinking of financing my next auto thruogh them but since they keep jacking my insurance up I'm giving that thought a second glance. They also have the option of having the premium withdrawn directly from your bank account. I'd rather get a statement so I can catch bulls%$t like this. It makes me wonder how many are getting shafted because they get it taken out and don't look at what they are paying.
1996 Legacy Outback-"Gilda" white with brown trim
Old 12-29-2002, 08:47 AM
DNSB

I also have State Farm. I have no idea what I'm paying them, but for the last 3 months I've been paying $232.
My insurance has gone up, for no reason. I heard state farm was the worst for rasing prices alot.
I'm going to drop them, as soon as I can find someone cheaper!.
To top it all off, the people at my insurance place are rude, and have no idea how to run the place. They never answer my questions! The owner doesn't even know anything about insurance I think they over charged me

~Deja~
Old 12-29-2002, 08:52 AM
BOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOST

Send a message via AIM to Phast SVX
I also am with state farm....Well i was. I was just DROPPED( am going to be in a month) for no reason...They aperently are getting out of coverage for central WI...all the better as i was shopping for a better price since they raised it a month or so ago anyways. Im very disapointed though, perfect driving record for me....i mean i havnt even gotten a parking ticket :|
phil
Old 12-29-2002, 10:32 AM
Not as old as Randy

Significant Technical Input
I got a slight increase this year, but I've also received rebates for the past six or seven. It depends on how claims for the year went.

I used to complain about them too. A good agent makes a huge difference. But I've never been able to find the same coverage for less anywhere else. I do remember it takes a few years to be moved into the mutual company, it's as though they want to see how much of a liability you're going to be.
Old 12-29-2002, 11:00 AM
ww111

Just got back from shopping

I've been with Amica for everything (house, boat, cars, bikes) for 10 years now. and cannot fault them at all. if you have a clean record they pay a dividend of about 40% BACK to you.

After I shopped around, State farm was over twice what Amica was charging. 38, no tickets, no accidents. The strange thing was when I told them, their reply was "So?" I've had claims with Amica as well, (Storm Damage) I had a check the day after the storm, without filing a claim.

NFI, But Amica has done very well by me.

Collins
Old 12-29-2002, 12:03 PM
I_Alcyone_I

"They also have the option of having the premium withdrawn directly from your bank account. I'd rather get a statement so I can catch bulls%$t like this. It makes me wonder how many are getting shafted because they get it taken out and don't look at what they are paying."

With direct withdrawl they send you a notice each month the same as if you were paying them with a check, only it is labeled that it will be withdrawn from your account at the time your payment is due. You know exactly how much they are charging for exactly what. I could scan one of my bills in and send it to you if you are interested in it.

"After I shopped around, State farm was over twice what Amica was charging. 38, no tickets, no accidents. The strange thing was when I told them, their reply was "So?" I've had claims with Amica as well, (Storm Damage) I had a check the day after the storm, without filing a claim."

Sate Farm is very expensive if you are starting out with them, After you have been with them for a year or two it is nearly impossible to find someone that will give you a lower price. At least that's how it is with my insurance. The rudeness of the person you talked to isn't true to every state farm agent, every company has an a** working for them. The agents I deal with are very nice and help out the best they can.
Old 12-29-2002, 12:25 PM
DNSB

I've been with State Farm for about 4 years....My other cars were cheaper than **** to insure. This one just tops it.
Sure, $160. something isn't that bad, but when someone tells you one thing(At the state farm) and then they charge me $232. for 5 months. Now what the hell is that?
I am seriously thinking about calling the head place here in Co.
A week after I got my car, someone hit it. I only had liability. That next day, I asked a lady there at State farm, if I were to switch to full cov. would I have to pay money that day. She said no, "All you would have to pay is your full coverage, and the difference between full cov. and liability." Which is about 200. But why did they have to charge me for 5 months????

(Yes, this is a subject that has pissed me off over the last 6 months, sorry for the long *****ing session )

~Deja~
Old 12-29-2002, 12:34 PM
I_Alcyone_I

Yeah, that is one thing that pissed me off. When i switched cars they gave me that 500 dollar crap too, called it a adjustment fee or something. I'm not sure if that is legal or not, but it looks like im not the only one they did it to. But overall, I am very happy with the service I get from them.
Old 12-29-2002, 12:50 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by DNSB
...snip... But why did they have to charge me for 5 months????
I'm going to guess that you normally pay your insurance on a quarterly basis.

State farm allows, monthly, qtr, semi-ann, and annual billing cycles. They always get their money up front to make sure, even if you are late in payments, they can notify the state on liability issues from policy termination. Also keep in mind that state farm turns the policy over to an underwriter which has some kind of timeline.

I pay monthly for convenience (and an extra $18 a year), so when I go in to add a vehicle, they want about 2 or 3 months depending on the billing cycle. If you have a qtrly payment, then 5 months would seem about right (for comparison, didn't mean fair).

I understand your frustration though. The insurance bill is one I always hate to make out to begin with (you're betting you will do worse than the odds), so when they screw with you it just makes it worse.
Old 12-29-2002, 02:14 PM

Send a message via AIM to kuoh
I'm also with State Farm and my rates just increased slightly also. I called them and they said it was due to an overall increase company wide, not anything directly caused by me. It wasn't a big increase so I'm not bothered too much by it, plus I have also received rebate checks from them in the past, so it all seems to wash out in the end.

KuoH
Old 12-29-2002, 02:37 PM
svxeno

Re: Just got back from shopping

Quote:
Originally posted by ww111
I've been with Amica for everything (house, boat, cars, bikes) for 10 years now. and cannot fault them at all. if you have a clean record they pay a dividend of about 40% BACK to you.

After I shopped around, State farm was over twice what Amica was charging. 38, no tickets, no accidents. The strange thing was when I told them, their reply was "So?" I've had claims with Amica as well, (Storm Damage) I had a check the day after the storm, without filing a claim.

NFI, But Amica has done very well by me.

Collins
I second this. I changed from State Farm to Amica about 2 weeks before my Sebring Coupe was nearly totaled by an uninsured driver. They took great care of me. I hadn't paid them but about $150.00 when they gave me a check for $3700.00, that after the $500 deductable.

BIG thing for me is during this time my calls were either answered or returned within 5 minutes! They are (for me) less expensive than State Farm. It's worth a call.

Randy (Insurance consultant?) ii