Message Archive
SVX Shop Search
IRC users:

Go Back   The Subaru SVX World Network > SVX Main Forums > General SVX Babble

Old 12-10-2002, 06:02 PM
No front plate on My SVX

Send a message via MSN to CDG
Buying an SVX, and I have some new questions

I have just come back from test driving another SVX, 1992, Purple, 170K kilometers. Body is in excellent condition, my #1 pick of the 3 I've looked at so far.
The other SVX is 1992, 150K kilometers, body is ok, and did have a $4k repair, mechanically feels and sounds good, but again the AC doesn't appear to be working.

Both vehicles are asking $10kCAN, I have been advised by a friend to offer $5kCAN and my 87 Accura Legend Coupe for a trade.

Issue#1:There is a grind, or binding when it is turned sharp at very low speed. This to me means that a limitted slip differential is not slipping, or is locked. The car drived quiet in a straight line.

Question#1: what is the construction of the driveline, is it an integrated front Diff w/limitted slip, a transfer case with/without limitted slip, and a rear Limitted slip Diff? Or could this be something else?
Question#2: how can I tell if its the front, rear or other?
Question#3: What would the cost be to replace a diff in the SVX, assuming I do the labour, if possible?

Issue#2: The air-conditioning compressor is most likely seized.
Question#4: is the AC compressor a standard off the shelf unit?
Question#5: What is the cost of a new and/or used compressor for the SVX?

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Current Ride, 1985 Honda Aero 80, stock 3024 klms
Old 12-10-2002, 06:18 PM

here's what I understand

first your friends advice. do you have a CA version of the Kelley Blue Book or Edmunds (www.kbb.com and www.edmunds.com respectively) so you could determine relative values in an organized fashion?

driveline. there is a possibility of binding in the transfer part of the transaxle. some have fixed it by multiple and opposing figure 8s. Otherwise I think the unit has to come out for repair. Also, the front diff is not LSD, the rear is. power transfer is divided by clutches on the back end of the transaxle from 90-10 to 50-50 ratio depending on conditions.

A/C. not sure why you think the compressor is seized, I'm guessing the clutch kicks in and and then the belt slips or ??? anyway it is available in the US both new and rebuilt. I got a rebuilt unit for about $200 and did the repair part (except freon reload) myself. I would give you the source, but a subsequent forum member tried the company and got a poor experience (all I know is a 50-50 batting record isn't so good - don't know which one of us was more representative of the company).

I would suggest you look at prices on Subaruparts.com as part of your solution set.

finally, I am a very poor person to be saying this as a car I want soon causes reason to depart; but, you would be well served to find a prime example before spending that kind of cash. I bought my 92 SVX in Jan 02 for $3500 (locally a good deal) then have put another $3K plus in it since (transaxle, rear bearing, now TPS, sway bar bushing, my door lock doesn't work...do I have to go on?).. I passed up a much better car at $5K trying to get myself a good deal. best of luck.
Old 12-10-2002, 07:05 PM
No front plate on My SVX

Thanks for all the info Lee.

I've checked the canadian version of the bluebook(equivalent), and it bases the price from $8-11kCAN. so thats about the same as the US value of about 5-7k.

$5kCAN is not very much, also concidering that my trade-in holds a value of about $75 to me, but is worth $4,160US(KBB Value)
So i'm hoping to leverage that.

The AC is siezed, cause the belt was already off, and the pump won't turn.

The rear diff could cost me, so I'll have to factor that in.

The key here is that I'm looking for an SVX with a great body, aren't we all, and the mechanical can be easily done by me, with the superior technical expertese of this group, and some parts.
What I can't do is body work, paint, reverse the corrosion process, and straighten lines of the body joints.
I like to tinker, and since I had a series of British Leland cars, I must have liked to tinker, just to get home.

I'm also very interested in any US SVX that is selling for about $3-5kUS, so if its from the North West, let me know. I'll have to add some $ to import it, but could be still a good deal.

BTW, I've looked at 3 SVX's, and they all smell like anti-freeze outside? Whats with that?

Old 12-10-2002, 07:23 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by CDG
BTW, I've looked at 3 SVX's, and they all smell like anti-freeze outside? Whats with that?
mine did too, found out it was the water pump leaking (something I forgot to mention), but of course not until after I had turned over my money. replacing the water pump is not so easy, timing belt has to come off, might as well do the seals, etc. i guess it could be the beginning of a bad hose, but the smell is gone on mine now since the pump was replaced and I spray cleaned under the hood - that smell hangs in there for a long time unless blasted away.

p.s. I've own a norton motorcycle for 25 of the last 27 years (20+ on the one I have now) so I understand the love/hate thing for british vehicles. my admin person at work is the treasurer of the state MG club, so....

Last edited by lee; 12-10-2002 at 07:30 PM.
Old 12-11-2002, 06:13 PM
No front plate on My SVX

I just looked at SVX#2 again, and took it for another drive, it appeared that I was able to free up the differencial but there was a burnt smell in the Transmission fluid, smelled it before, so I'm getting worried.
There was also some strange feel when I started from a stop, it would jerk when I started to move, straight line is still smooth, and the shifting was rather slow.

Is there a Current SVX driver living in Vancouver BC that would be interested in taking a test drive?

Old 12-19-2002, 08:38 PM
Meow!

Send a message via ICQ to Earthworm Send a message via AIM to Earthworm Send a message via MSN to Earthworm Send a message via Yahoo to Earthworm Send a message via Skype™ to Earthworm
Quote:
Originally posted by CDG
Is there a Current SVX driver living in Vancouver BC that would be interested in taking a test drive?
If I were you I'd be checking all of the SVX's that are for sale in Canada (www.canadatrader.com) and finding one that has less problems. Even if you have to do some travelling to get it it will probably save you money in the long run...or at least allow you spread out the payments on the loan you have to take out to pay for the repairs

j/k - I haven't had any major (out of the ordinary) repairs on my SVX in the 21 months I've owned it. (excluding accidents)
Old 12-19-2002, 10:35 PM
No front plate on My SVX

I have made a decision, and agreed to purchase SVXcess' Pearlie. Car located pretty much on the other side of the continent.
I believe that it is the smartest decision I could make, and plan to drive the vehicle across the US to bring it home.
We are now working out the details.
I hope to visit some of you on the way if your interested.
I will also attempt to convince my girlfriend to go for the ride, it's one of those make or breakthings.....This is where I'm going to need the luck.

Old 12-19-2002, 10:59 PM
Invisible avatar
Alcyone Gold Contributor

Send a message via AIM to Ron Mummert Send a message via Yahoo to Ron Mummert
Quote:
Originally posted by CDG
I have made a decision, and agreed to purchase SVXcess' Pearlie. Car located pretty much on the other side of the continent.
I believe that it is the smartest decision I could make, and plan to drive the vehicle across the US to bring it home.
We are now working out the details.
I hope to visit some of you on the way if your interested.
I will also attempt to convince my girlfriend to go for the ride, it's one of those make or breakthings.....This is where I'm going to need the luck.

I told John to let me know when you're in town. We'll have mini-meet in John's driveway. I hope your girlfriend is tolerant of your insanity.

Ron.

'92 stock semi-pristine ebony - 160K
'96 Grand Caravan - 240K
'01 Miata SE - 79K
'07 Chrysler Pacifica - 60k - future money pit.
Old 12-19-2002, 11:06 PM
No front plate on My SVX

Let me put it to you this way, If she didn't question my decision, then I wouldn't respect her. Plus she said we have to drive through the southern states on the way back where its warm.
FYI, John, there is no question in my mind. Thx.