Old Lockers
Photo Post
How-To Documents
Message Archive
SVX Shop Search
IRC users:

Go Back   The Subaru SVX World Network > SVX Main Forums > General SVX Babble

Old 11-28-2002, 11:55 PM

Are they just jelous, or are they tellin the truth. You decide!

I have been told a countless amount of times by my relatives that my SVX is a peice of crap, and that I should get rid of it. They say the styling of the car is "ok"and, the performance is sub par, to their standards. Now let me tell u what type of cars they drive. A lexus GS-400, Audi A-6 2.8t quatro, and an Acura TL. I'll confess to one thing, I'm not a person who babies his car. If you where to see my car inside you'd be disgusted. There are ashes every where, I take it to its limits(or what I thought its limits where), and there are a countless amount of broken or missing peices. I forgot to mention the cracked windsheild,which would have been fixed by now if it werent so $$$ to fix. After showing my relatives what you guys have done to your SVX's. They still have the nerve to say those things about my SVX. Maybe they say these things because my SVX is the only one they ever see on a daily basis. Maybe they say those things because I always brag about the uniqueness of the SVX. Who knows for sure. Let me point out to you guys what my relatives say are the pros and cons of the SVX. Pros: AWD(even though the one who owns the Audi says" Its a good awd system, but it just dosent perform very well without the added traction of the Audi's ASP feature") ,and thats about it for the pros. Cons: the temperture control layout sucks, the windows are not well thought out, fuel economy is very bad, the acceleration is very slow for this class of car( a 3.3 liter should be quicker than this, where his exact words) and, last but not least the parts are way too expensive. Personally I've enjoyed driving this car. I love it when people try to guess what kind it is, and ask if the windows " came like that or did I install them". I have had times where I've cursed at the car and wished it would be smashed into so I can collect the insurance on it. But, who hasnt had those moments before. Personally I think my relatives can take their Audi's and Lexuses and Acuras and stick 'em where the sun dont shine. I'm keeping my SVX till the death. But, thats just my two-cents!
Old 11-29-2002, 02:20 AM
FifthElement

Perhaps after witnessing yours, they have a badtaste in their mouths when it comes to the SVX. Between you and me, it sounds like your SVX is a POS, but that's just between you and me. Perhaps you ought to take better care of it, better representing the SVX community as a whole.

When you are comparing the SVX to an AUDI or a LEXUS, are you comparing vehicles that can truly be compared? Are they newwer model vehicles they are driving? Keep in mind the SVX is a vehicle whose design and engineering is over 10 years old.

Also keep in mind that most SVXes are not valued at more than 8 grand. What is the $$$ value of the luxury vehicles they are driving?

Sure, I'd love to fly in AIRFORCE 1. But if I can get a ride on USAIR standby for half the price, that's what I'd have to do.

Last edited by FifthElement; 11-29-2002 at 02:28 AM.
Old 11-29-2002, 07:11 AM
Have a poncho I can borrow?

RE:

Quote:
[i]Keed in mind the SVX is a vehicle whose design and engineering is over 10 years old.

[/B]
Couldn't have said it better myself. Were they driving an Audi back in 92. If so have you been in an Audi 100? Ever see one outside of a junkyard ? As for the Audi AWD being better this arguement has been made many times. Yeah it probably is a little better as far as its abilities, however, reliablility and cost far outway its added features in my book. If Audi actually believed in its awd system so much it wouldn't offer a fwd car anymore. Instead its a way for them to raise their sticker price. Figure a cost of X for a FWD car then if you want awd cough up another 2-4k depending on the model. 4k for an awd system??? Are they insane? Subie sold theirs for 1k over sticker back in 95. The Audi owner must keep in mind that his car is made with 1/4 parts supplied from Mexico where VW just quashed a workers strike which wanted the daily pay to increase from $10 to $12. VW insisted this was too much money! If you go by inflation the first "slave labors" who worked at VW in early WWII made more. This is why they get away with keeping the sticker so low since their revival! Basically he's driving a car that was build by someone making less than a guy in McDonald's

As for the Lexus. Very nice car. Lexi put me to sleep styling wise personally but those who aren't car people love 'em. Look at all the imbiguous Japanese mobile couches out there today. Lexus in my book built one decent memorable car in its short life. The SC400. Beautiful styling, ero. correct but that backseat didn't compare to the SVX, the tech features didn't compare to the SVX, and the perfomance DID compare to the SVX. Hey wait a minute. That car sold AT THE SAME TIME the SVX did so that's a far comparison. Guess what. It flopped too on the market.
Old 11-29-2002, 07:40 AM

Send a message via Yahoo to LarryIII
Registered SVX
Fait,

You say your "relatives", emphasis on plural, say your car is a piece of crap. Yet you only site the comments from the one that owns and drives the Audi.

Ask the Lexus & Accura drivers what they drive in the real snow. I'll bet that they have some old SUV's that they use.

As for the Audiophile ask him where the 100 or Audi 80 are today.
How many car clubs are dedicated to these pieces of crap?

Don't forget, the SVX was designed in 1988. It was in the dealer's showrroms in 1991. How many 1992 Lexi high performance GT cars are there? Likewise for the 1992 Integra's.
And ask them how they handle in snow.

I had an 84 Supra. It was a real handful in the snow. Also where is Toyota's AWD system now. It is on their SUV's & trucks not on their cars.

Compare your relative's current Audi AWD system to Subaru's comparable VDC system.

If all your aguments fail, retailiate by eating your relative's food and drinking their booze. There are always ways around PIA relatives.
'07 Gray Diamond Pearl Outback XT Ltd..."AH SO"
'05 White Pearl & Silver BAJA Turbo..."AH HA"
'97 Bordeaux Pearl SVX LSi..."SUBYDOO"
'94 White Pearl SVX LSi..."PEARLY"
'92 White Pearl SVX LSL w/touring pkg..."SVXY"
'92 Teal SVX LSL w/touring pkg..."ALCYONE"
'96 Polo Green LSi ... "MIDORI"
'00 Black Dodge VIPER RT-10... "VINNIE"

Engineers do it with precision.
English teachers are novel lovers.

Home: larrysingeriii@comcast.net

SVX FEVER, CATCH IT AT A MEET NEAR YOU !!
Old 11-29-2002, 09:34 AM
Fighting with electricity

Send a message via AIM to SVX10 Send a message via Yahoo to SVX10
The Audi guy has no room

to speak. The SVX when new cost about $30,000. This is equivalent to a base A4 now. I had the opportunity to drive an A4 Quattro, and let me say that they are slow pieces of $#!* not worth 30g's. They have lots of wind noise, way more than the SVX, the seats have no lateral support, SVX is way more comfortable, and some other things are sub par on that $30,000 Audi. Honestly, when I first drove it I was confused...I thought they came with a 3.0 liter 6 cyl, but I could've sworn I was driving a 4 cyl. Not the case...it was a 3 liter 6. Moved over to the S4 and it would blow the SVX away in everything but ride quality. Of course, it's got 2 turbos. We'll see how the SVX is with 2 turbos (Stevebsy). Acura...I drove a 3.2CL Type-s and it was a blast. Clutch was rough (took some getting used to), but seat was really comfy and performance was great. I think the SVX would only win that one with ride quietness and smoothness. Lexus....well, I haven't driven one, so I won't comment, but I will say it may be more fun to own 5 or 6 SVXs instead. Your relatives sound ignorant to me. Have they driven a nice SVX? I bet they're the type to buy a new Boxter for $50+ g's when a new 350Z will out accelerate, and outhandle a boxter for only $30 g's. Whatever, some people like to buy a brand, not a car.
92 SVX LS-L - Ebony Pearl - 2002 WRX 5MT trans w/STi gearset (rebuilt & installed myself ) - BMW E46 HID retrofit - Kenwood Headunit - Phoenix Gold 75x4 RMS amp - Alpine Type R 6.5" front components - Alpine Type R 6x9 3way rear speakers - 18"x9" Rota G-Force wheels w/225/40ZR18 Toyo T1R's - Mychailo's custom springs - Urethane front & rear sway bar bushings - KC exhaust (2.5" dual magnaflow) - Escaine seat swap - Removed Spoiler

I don't care if Subaru says it's STI...it will always be STi to me
Old 11-29-2002, 09:53 AM
FifthElement

Mayhaps these Lexus and Acura people are actually jealous of the svx! So their bashing is only a display of their insecurity regarding their purchase.
Old 11-29-2002, 12:00 PM
Hater

i'd still prefer the SVX over those other cars, but i'm sure they'll still be on their first transmission in 10 years.

1987 928 S4 (Black) SOLD!
1997 SVX LSi (Ebony) SOLD!
2005 Legacy GT (Silver) [Cobb Stg 2+] SOLD!
1987 928 S4 (Black) SOLD!
2005 Forester XT Premium (Crystal Gray Metallic) SOLD!
2008 Lancer Evolution X MR (Apex Silver) [Cobb Stg 1+]
2015 Outlander Sport 2.4GT AWD (Mercury Gray)
2013 G37xS (Obsidian Black)
Old 11-29-2002, 12:02 PM
Betcha can't buy just one!
Alcyone Gold Contributor

Send a message via ICQ to ensteele Send a message via Yahoo to ensteele Send a message via Skype™ to ensteele
Registered SVX Classic SVX
Remember some of the reasons that you have your SVX. Yes, how many of their cars do you see as you drive down the road. Lots of them. Not many SVXs, so they tend to be unique. After reading your response to why you like it, I would say it doesn't really matter if they like it or not, but whether you like it or not. Till the death? You must love yours like we do ours, whether its a mess, or as good as off the showroom floor. Yes, others think I am crazy too. Maybe they are right, but who cares. I am happy in my own little world. I may not be able to turn heads, but at least my car does!

Subaru Ambassador

[COLOR=”silver”]1992 Tri Color L[/COLOR] ~45K (06/91) #2430
1992 Dark Teal LS-L ~184K (05/91) #0739
1992 Claret LS-L ~196K (05/91) #0831
1992 Pearl LS-L ~103K (06/91) #1680
1992 Pearl LS-L ~151K (06/91) #2229
1992 Dark Teal LS ~150K (07/91) #3098 (parts car)
1992 White LS-L ~139K (08/92) #6913
1993 25th AE ~98K (02/93) #164
1993 25th AE ~58K (02/93) #176
1993 25th AE ~107K (02/93) #215
1993 25th AE ~162K (02/93) #223
1994 Laguna Blue Pearl LSi ~124K (1/94) #2408
1994 Laguna Blue Pearl LSi ~144K (10/93) #1484
1994 Laguna Blue Pearl LSi ~68K (10/93) #1525
1994 Barcelona Red LSi ~46K (02/94) #2624
1994 Pearl LSi ~41K (12/93) #1961
1995 Bordeaux Pearl LSi ~70K (02/95) #855
1996 Polo Green LSi ~95K (03/96) #872
1997 Bordeaux Pearl LSi ~55K (08/96) #097
2003 Brilliant Red LS1 Convertible ~29K (04/03) #8951
1999 Magnetic Red LS1 Coupe ~33K (04/99) #6420

My Email | Old Locker | New Locker | Picture of 15 of the 19
Old 11-29-2002, 12:43 PM

I drove an TLS and found it boring like driving grandma's car. Way to isolated from the road and engine and transmission. Styling is conservitive like every Honda. Even the s2000 is conservitive for what it is.

The SVX has it's problems but the AUDI is no Honda.

The Lexus is just plain boring.

In fact tell your relatives that I said all their cars are boring!

I feel a lot more like I do now then I did before.

92 SVX 5spd, (sold),92 SVX Teal, 67 Mustang 351C 5spd, 00 Galant.
Old 11-29-2002, 05:54 PM

Send a message via Yahoo to LarryIII
Registered SVX
Oh I forgot the Audi owners class action lawsuit over Audi's overly optimistic gas gage. We may not have great trannys but at least we don't run out of gas while the gage still reads 1/2 full.
'07 Gray Diamond Pearl Outback XT Ltd..."AH SO"
'05 White Pearl & Silver BAJA Turbo..."AH HA"
'97 Bordeaux Pearl SVX LSi..."SUBYDOO"
'94 White Pearl SVX LSi..."PEARLY"
'92 White Pearl SVX LSL w/touring pkg..."SVXY"
'92 Teal SVX LSL w/touring pkg..."ALCYONE"
'96 Polo Green LSi ... "MIDORI"
'00 Black Dodge VIPER RT-10... "VINNIE"

Engineers do it with precision.
English teachers are novel lovers.

Home: larrysingeriii@comcast.net

SVX FEVER, CATCH IT AT A MEET NEAR YOU !!
Old 11-29-2002, 07:32 PM

Send a message via ICQ to Mr. Pockets
Registered SVX
Your relatives are insane. 'The windows aren't well thought-out?' You've got to be kidding me - show me another GT coupe with better visibility! And don't even try to tell me that the friggin' split window 'gets in the way.'

AUGH!

Your relatives sound like trend-followers. Enjoy your SVX, drive it as long as you want to and don't listen to them.

2005 RX-8 Grand Touring
2005 Outback
2002 Mercedes-Benz E320 wagon

END OF LINE
Old 11-29-2002, 08:45 PM
billisa

Apples to Oranges?

I missed how old the SVX was that was being dissed, but the point that it's being compared with new, big $$$$ vehicles is very well taken. Now, I don't want to hurt anyone's feelings, but after owning an SVX for $5K (and some other cars for far less), I can't IMAGINE paying $25/30/40/50K for a car! I just can't see it. I don't believe newer vehicles drive $20K+ "better" than their older stablemates. I've been in an A4 and A6 and I fail to see the value for the dollar when purchased anywhere near new! To me, the beauty of some of these big bucks Hondas and Toyotas is that they're still great cars with 100K, but at a FRACTION of the original cost. Mark my words, a 2002 350Z or G35 is going to be a GREAT car to own in 2008, or 9, or 2010.

One thing I've noticed, regardless of the brand, is that some people feel you HAVE to buy a car NEW, and they get weird looks on their faces when they see someone driving an nice upscale car for a fraction of what they just paid for their new Chevy. It's like you're cheating or something. There are still a number of people out there who think 60K miles is a lot for a car and when something breaks, it's time to trade-in. I know someone who has traded in some of the nicest vehicles that EASILY had another 100K left in them. Anyway, sorry for the rant!

Last edited by billisa; 11-29-2002 at 08:53 PM.
Old 11-29-2002, 09:14 PM
Invisible avatar
Alcyone Gold Contributor

Send a message via AIM to Ron Mummert Send a message via Yahoo to Ron Mummert
Cool Re: Apples to Oranges?

There are still a number of people out there who think 60K miles is a lot for a car and when something breaks, it's time to trade-in. I know someone who has traded in some of the nicest vehicles that EASILY had another 100K left in them. Anyway, sorry for the rant! [/B][/QUOTE]

My '92 SVX had the lowest mileage (76K) of any of the last four cars I've bought. Two of these cars had over 110K when purchased, and both are still on the road 5-7 years later. Most people still think 100K means "sudden death any minute now". I love to bargain with sellers of this mind-set.

Ron.

'92 stock semi-pristine ebony - 160K
'96 Grand Caravan - 240K
'01 Miata SE - 79K
'07 Chrysler Pacifica - 60k - future money pit.
Old 11-30-2002, 06:23 AM
hotshoe50

svx vs audi vs lexus

Since we are all adding our two cents worth....

This SVX is my second and the Audi 5000 Tirbo Quattro is my 7th from the TQ family. Any body who says they are POS cars have not taken the time to really evaluate them: like the SVX the parts are expensive, labor is equally so but the cars are a delight to drive, are fast and safe and can be had for about the same $$$ as a decent SVX.

Regarding the relatives complaining about your car, you don't seem to care the least about it: ashes, junk, broken parts, cracked windshield etc is pretty negligent. Take care of your car! If you are so proud of it to defend it so strongly, then keep it clean and in a decent state of repair.

I bought my Audi on eBay two years ago for $4000 and carfax showed 6 previous owners and 90K miles. It came from West Virginia and is rust free, has the original paint, the leather and suede interior is nicely broken in and the car is mechanically perfect. Sure Audi cars have problems common to them (what car doesn't?) but the auto trans problems of our SVXs shows a real problem that Subaru should be warranty-responsible, EVEN now!!

Just my thoughts for what they are worth

Hotshoe
Old 11-30-2002, 02:50 PM
Rep from the outside world

Send a message via AIM to Shadow248
Did anyone see the latest issue of Car& Driver? The Honda S2000 and Audi TT both got beat by a MUSTANG!!! In just about every aspect...handling, speed, ride quality, styling. The 350Z won the contest though. To think, the S2000 is a car that honda enthusiasts talk about like it's god, and it got beat by a car that they would like to think is for kids (mustang). I think that's funny.

The point is, most half-educated car buyers will believe the propaganda that was created especially for them. The notion that a lexus is better just because it's a lexus (nevermind that the toyota versions of those cars are almost exactly the same and cheaper) was created by advertising and it's what keeps the brand afloat. I've ridden in plenty of lexus's and frankly the only difference between them and my Grand Prix is noise. But that doesn't matter to me now because im always listening to high volume music. Plus i don't have to make $400+ car payments. Who wins there?