Photo Post
How-To Documents
Message Archive
SVX Shop Search
IRC users:

Go Back   The Subaru SVX World Network > SVX Main Forums > General SVX Babble

Old 11-27-2002, 07:48 AM
I look like Gordon

If you want to see something funny some time, try the smile-and wave...

Someone flips you the finger (hopefully because they are a complete moron and NOT because you deserve it...). Smile and wave. Make it a nice big goofy smile. I have gotten more satisfaction out of this than any finger I have ever flipped in my life. I have seen people nearly lose control in fits of convulsive uncontrollable rage because "they were really gonna show me by flipping me the finger" and all I did was smile and wave (and then normally started laughing at their reaction).

Trust me...try it once. You won't be sorry. And you'll never have to worry about flipping off your boss or next door neighbor by mistake

I have another pet peeve for you all, though, and that is the person behind you on the on-ramp who speeds up and starts cutting over early to try to merge into traffic before you and then gets all pissed off when you "cut them off" and take your proper turn merging into the lane. Man that one gets me. Some little old lady tried to pull that one on me a few days ago when I was stuck behind a semi merging onto the interstate, and then flipped me the bird when she got next to me in traffic. I gave her the smile-and wave; her reaction was classic.
Old 11-27-2002, 08:22 AM
Hater

that's a good one. we used to have a REAL b****y woman at work that hated me and the other new guy - and every morning, we would put on a big smile and say "GOOD - MORNING, RENEE!!!" she would get madder than anything.

1987 928 S4 (Black) SOLD!
1997 SVX LSi (Ebony) SOLD!
2005 Legacy GT (Silver) [Cobb Stg 2+] SOLD!
2005 Forester XT Premium (Crystal Gray Metallic) SOLD!
2008 Lancer Evolution X MR (Apex Silver) [Cobb Stg 1+]
2015 Outlander Sport 2.4GT AWD (Mercury Gray)
2013 G37xS (Obsidian Black)
Old 11-27-2002, 08:35 AM

Send a message via Skype™ to CigarJohnny
Quote:
Originally posted by rufus
I had forgotten about that classic. Thanks for the reminder, Rufus! I haven't used that one in a long time and you are absolutely correct. It's an absolute classic and gets them every time.
>Johnny closes his eyes and imagines some a-hole irritating him<

>no, no...that's not the right reaction. try again<

>NO! he didn't startle me...I saw him coming a mile away...try again<

>almost had it...once more<

>Yes! Yes! that's it!!<

>now we're talkin!<

Ebony Mica '92 LS 80K Oct 2002 - Dec 2004: Victim of theft. She served me well.

You can tell the lack of craftsmanship by the wrinkles in the duct tape.
Old 11-27-2002, 08:59 AM
I look like Gordon

How about this...
Attached Images
File Type: gif smileandwave.gif (1,005 Bytes, 76 views)
Old 11-27-2002, 09:47 AM

Perfect! LOL

Old 11-27-2002, 09:58 AM
$VX

Okay, ranting aside, what can be DONE about this problem??!?!?!?!?

How can we make people drive in the right lane and use their signals?

- Ca$h
Old 11-27-2002, 10:06 AM

Send a message via ICQ to Pure_Insanity8 Send a message via AIM to Pure_Insanity8
No fair

Quote:
Originally posted by rufus

Someone flips you the finger (hopefully because they are a complete moron and NOT because you deserve it...). Smile and wave. Make it a nice big goofy smile. I have gotten more satisfaction out of this than any finger I have ever flipped in my life. I have seen people nearly lose control in fits of convulsive uncontrollable rage because "they were really gonna show me by flipping me the finger" and all I did was smile and wave (and then normally started laughing at their reaction).

Trust me...try it once. You won't be sorry. And you'll never have to worry about flipping off your boss or next door neighbor by mistake

I have another pet peeve for you all, though, and that is the person behind you on the on-ramp who speeds up and starts cutting over early to try to merge into traffic before you and then gets all pissed off when you "cut them off" and take your proper turn merging into the lane. Man that one gets me. Some little old lady tried to pull that one on me a few days ago when I was stuck behind a semi merging onto the interstate, and then flipped me the bird when she got next to me in traffic. I gave her the smile-and wave; her reaction was classic.
I have, on multiple occasions, tried the "smile and wave" and gotten no reaction or just more of the finger! I doesn't seem to want to work for me.

I'd rather get the finger than the "round of applause with sarcastic impressed smile." I have become so d*mn infuriated when I drive politely and normally (or made the tinniest of mistakes... easily forgivable) and someone one gives me the applause for pulling their own bonehead maneuver of some sort and ending up almost hitting me. So according to their response I don't know how to drive, and they rule the road. It has been those instances when I am glad I don't have a gun (especially in the car). When I try the same thing with someone who actually deserves it... I still get no real reaction. I guess I'll just have to live with pulling them out of their cars and onto the street, and just driving away.

-Aaron

SVX: '92 Dark Teal 101k

'97 Legacy GT Wagon: dead
'99 Civic Si: daily driver... stolen and stripped with all my tools!
'92 Yamaha FZR 600: garage
2011 Jetta: Daily disappointment
Old 11-27-2002, 10:09 AM

Set a good example. In essence, teach people how to drive.
If other motorists see you move into the right lane when you're done passing, they might start doing the same.

This also goes for letting people change lanes. Personally, I could care less if one car gets in front of me. It used to irritate me, now I've come to the realization that it's far better to just let people in, rather than dangerously tailgate the driver in front of me to stop them. And chances are, if that inconsiderate driver's weaving in and out of lanes, he's aggressive, therefore will keep up with the speed of traffic. So who cares?

Consideration for other people is like a "good disease." Set an example and it will spread.

BTW, if you're in a rush, there may be no choise to drive like an a$$. I just wanted to add that.

Last edited by DavieGravy; 11-27-2002 at 10:15 AM.
Old 11-27-2002, 10:09 AM

Send a message via ICQ to Pure_Insanity8 Send a message via AIM to Pure_Insanity8
They'll always do it...

Quote:
Originally posted by $VX

- Ca$h
I don't think anything will get rid of it. Maybe a crack down on it may improve things... but we gotta face it that so many people are just lazy and arrogant or just plain old dumb and incompetent.

-Aaron

SVX: '92 Dark Teal 101k

'97 Legacy GT Wagon: dead
'99 Civic Si: daily driver... stolen and stripped with all my tools!
'92 Yamaha FZR 600: garage
2011 Jetta: Daily disappointment
Old 11-27-2002, 10:13 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by $VX

- Ca$h
The only way would be to make it illegal (and enforce it) and to lead by example. If that fails then pop the safety off on the 50 caliber machine guns mounted inside my front bumper and let loose. What? I'm the only one with that mod on my SVX??

I'm KIDDING...jeesh! (except for the illegal and example stuff)

Old 11-27-2002, 10:34 AM
Hater

i propose a driving simulator that must be used before getting a license and once every 5 years thereafter. cross the line <ELECTRIC SHOCK!> forget a turn signal <ELECTRIC SHOCK!>
a few hours of this might teach some people, but i'm sure there will be some that just die of electrocution.

1997 SVX LSi (Ebony) SOLD!
2005 Legacy GT (Silver) [Cobb Stg 2+] SOLD!
2005 Forester XT Premium (Crystal Gray Metallic) SOLD!
2008 Lancer Evolution X MR (Apex Silver) [Cobb Stg 1+]
2015 Outlander Sport 2.4GT AWD (Mercury Gray)
2013 G37xS (Obsidian Black)
Old 11-27-2002, 10:37 AM
I look like Gordon

Quote:
Originally posted by DavieGravy
Consideration for other people is like a "good disease." Set an example and it will spread.
Unfortunately, I think there are far too many people out there that do not realize that safe and speedy travel on the highway is really a team effort. There are too many people out there who are only interested in themselves, and overlook the big picture... that they and the others like them are the ones causing a lot of the traffic problems they are trying so hard to avoid. The "late merger", the guy that speeds by all the people dutifully waiting in line and then cuts in at the last minute... well, he and his ilk are a big part of why that backup is there in the first place. Ditto for the person who doesn't let people in front of him when they should be merging in the first place. And the left lane slowpokes. And the non-signallers. I honestly don't think there is anything you can do about it except drive "honorably" yourself, try to spread the word, and LEAVE EARLY.

You could of course spend some time in Asia and learn what scary driving is really all about. No one gets angry about it there, though...
Old 11-27-2002, 11:53 AM
Making tires round, Six now :)

I think most people do not use blinkers cause they don't have time to signal before moving into the lane. They don't want to tip their hand so to speak. The ones not using blinkers are usually the ones that snap quickly into the next lane and usually into a space where they end up tailgating the car in front of them after the lane change.

The 2 second rule? What 2 second rule? How long does it take to stop a car????? It is a lot longer than 2 seconds.
How fast is a persons reaction time? 1 to 2 seconds?
How far time wise do people drive behind the car in front of them?

Most times I see people at less than 1 second behind going 60 to 80 mph.

So what happens when a 2 second space opens up? Someone pulls into it.

Face it driving is the most dangerous thing people do and they do not even care about there own lives. Why would they care about your space on the road?

Rufus and Cigarjohnny>>> The big smile IS the best reponse by far. I love to give it.

DavieGravy>>> Get off the road. You didn't say you use turn signals when you weave in and out of lanes.

Ca$h and Cigarjohnny>>>> I block the empty lane too
Old 11-28-2002, 02:55 PM
Registered Abuser

The sad part is most people on the road drive every day of their life, but they look like they never did before.

As bad as it is here in the US, try driving in Mexico or Italy and see if you like that any better. At least here, a pedestrian is usually safe while walking on a sidewalk.
94 Barcelona - FWD SOLD
92 Ebony - 3.90 SOLD
94 Laguna ROLLING w/4.44s/Ecutune ECU +TCU/STI springs/Infiniti M45 rims
Old 11-28-2002, 09:05 PM
still in love with Hannah

One thing that wasn't mentioned...

people don't seem to know what a yeild sign is for anymore. When I was taught how to drive, a yeild sign meant that if there is traffic coming you treat it as a stop sign. Too often I get cars merging into me from the on ramp and almost sideswiping me. And it's usually a little economy car that can't get out of it's own way.
1996 Legacy Outback-"Gilda" white with brown trim