Message Archive
SVX Shop Search
IRC users:

Go Back   The Subaru SVX World Network > SVX Main Forums > General SVX Babble
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-26-2002, 11:51 AM
$VX

Rants about turn signals and driving lanes

Alright, like EVERYTIME I get on the highway, I get annoyed at the fact that people are DRIVING in the passing lane. The RIGHT lane is for DRIVING. The left lanes should only be used for passing someone who isn't going your speed. Simple right? Apparently not, since 90% of the people on the road don't understand this.

Also, I hate people who don't use their turn signals; they're INFINITELY more dangerous than most people speeding 10-15mph over the limit. EXCESSIVE speeding, yeah, that could be dangerous if traffic is heavy, but the the REAL accident causers are the careless cell phone jabbing poppycocks who don't use their signals and drift or snap into lanes. The guy going 25 over is probably paying a LOT of attention to the environment around him. Anyawy...

considering how I rant about this like everday, or at least NOTICE the morons who don't use their signals, what can be done? MY gf just told me to shut up about it if I don't want to make the effort to change it. Well. I'm wanting to make the effort. Question is: HOW?! Is there any 'turn signal users' club or anything? Anyone have any ideas? I want to start writing some editorials to local papers etc etc.

- Ca$h
Old 11-26-2002, 12:12 PM
FifthElement

Become a congressman/senator and draft a new turn signal law.

Join the statetroopers and start cracking down on those who change without turn signals.

There's lots that can be done.

By writing editorals, all you are doing is talking about it, which is something you said you did not want to do.

I agree with you completely. It makes me more than annoyed when I see idiots in front of me just veering into my lane without a signal or anything. As far as the left lane goes, I tend to drive in that lane most of the time since I end up passing those in the right lanes constantly. If a car comes up behind me that's going faster than I am, of course I move over and let him pass. It's those idiots that drive in that lane and end up doing the same amount of speed as the dude in the right lane, completely blocking both lanes, that get to me. They cause accidents.
Old 11-26-2002, 12:30 PM
Hater

all of the above pisses me off, but i have a new peeve now - people that come into MY lane head-on. happens mostly on turns, but on the occaisional straight, too. get off the cell phone, put down the lipstick, cheeseburger, beat the kids when you get home, and stay in YOUR OWN LANE! i don't need a head-on collision - this isn't just annoying, its scary. is it just me this is happening to more frequently?

1987 928 S4 (Black) SOLD!
1997 SVX LSi (Ebony) SOLD!
2005 Legacy GT (Silver) [Cobb Stg 2+] SOLD!
2005 Forester XT Premium (Crystal Gray Metallic) SOLD!
2008 Lancer Evolution X MR (Apex Silver) [Cobb Stg 1+]
2015 Outlander Sport 2.4GT AWD (Mercury Gray)
2013 G37xS (Obsidian Black)
Old 11-26-2002, 12:46 PM
Have a poncho I can borrow?

Bad drivers

I was driving to work this morning on a 4 lane undivided road. The guy in the right lane decide that when the front of my Brat had reached about his drivers side door it was time to move over into my lane without a turnsignal or anything. Yes I guess I pretty much was in his blind spot but I had been beside him through the past couple lights. Its not like he shouldn't have known I was there. I used the horn to let him know I was there and to avoid him sideswiping me I went over into the left lane of oncoming traffic until I could slow down enough to get behind him. The funny thing was they guy still didn't even realize that I was there and had to do all of that to avoid him hitting me. He was just calmly driving and drinking his coffee.. Oh yeah he floated over into the other lane 2 more times before turning off about a mile down. If it wasn't such a nice day with snow in the forcast I probably would've followed him and given him a nice lashing. Better yet had I been in the Justy I'd be sitting at the hospital right now *****ing about how bad my back hurts. He was driving his wife's mercedes so he at least has some insurance I'd imagine. Idiots I can take. Oblivious idiots I can't
Old 11-26-2002, 02:18 PM

I usually weeve in and out of lanes, simply out of frustration at how slow idiots drive in the passing lane. When you're in a rush, it's the only thing that can be done. However, I never cruise in the fast lane if I'm not passing someone.

I almost got into a head on collision last week. It was night time and failry dark Some idiot was making a left turn while I was approaching him. Not realizing it was a double sided road, the idiot turned into my lane heading in the wrong direction. There were two lanes on either side, but unfortunately, the other idiot driving along side of me for some strange reason decided to spead up when I wanted to pass him. I hate when people do that.

So here I am, one moron in my lane approaching in the wrong direction, and another moron bent on driving beside me in the other lane. I had to slam on my brakes and violently swerve into the other lane. I alomost sh!t my pants! BTW, the guy beside me slammed on his brakes aswell. Fortunately, i was able to brake faster than he.
Old 11-26-2002, 02:31 PM
Rat Fink Member ~:o)

Send a message via ICQ to Aredubjay Send a message via AIM to Aredubjay Send a message via Yahoo to Aredubjay
Registered SVX
Ca$h,
I'm beginning to get frightened. Here's another point on which we agree. Unfortunately, there's nothing we can do (except for some of the suggestions by 5thElement).

Add to that list of peaves, people who refuse to use acceleration and deceleration lanes, and those who race in the outside lane to cut across the other lanes to take an off ramp. Grrrrrr.

I've been living with this frustration since I started driving. And that was . . . well, a long time ago.
First to arrive at the very first Reading Meet
Subaru Ambassador

1992 SVX PPG Pace Car Replica 110+k
1993 White Impreza L 240+K miles
2001 Legacy Outback Limited Sedan 250+K miles
2013 Deep Indigo Pearl Legacy 3.6R 49+K miles

"Reading is my favorite Holiday"
Mike Davis -- at Reading VI
Old 11-26-2002, 02:37 PM
Green1995SVX

Quote:
Originally posted by Aredubjay
and those who race in the outside lane to cut across the other lanes to take an off ramp. Grrrrrr.
Geez randy... That sounds like me!! Actually not really, but ive done that. <shame>

Mike
Old 11-26-2002, 02:52 PM
cjoffe

It's the only way to deal with nitwits who put their brakes on 1/2 mile before the ramp?

Besides just shooting them, that is.

CJ
Old 11-26-2002, 03:03 PM
Rat Fink Member ~:o)

Send a message via ICQ to Aredubjay Send a message via AIM to Aredubjay Send a message via Yahoo to Aredubjay
Registered SVX
Quote:
Originally posted by Green1995SVX

Geez randy... That sounds like me!! Actually not really, but ive done that. <shame>

Mike
Yes, shame on you. And, I have to add another peave: when you've been seeing signs for five or more miles that say "right lane ends, merge left." And, you merge, like you're supposed to. Then, creep-o's come flying by you in the right lane and try to squeeze thier way into the bottleneck in front of you when you've been waiting a half hour, just to move a few hundred feet.

Okay, I've gotta quit. I can't afford to get road rage while sitting at my computer. It could be detrimental to my keyboard.
First to arrive at the very first Reading Meet
Subaru Ambassador

1992 SVX PPG Pace Car Replica 110+k
1993 White Impreza L 240+K miles
2001 Legacy Outback Limited Sedan 250+K miles
2013 Deep Indigo Pearl Legacy 3.6R 49+K miles

"Reading is my favorite Holiday"
Mike Davis -- at Reading VI

Last edited by Aredubjay; 11-26-2002 at 03:06 PM.
Old 11-26-2002, 03:10 PM
Yeah, it's a poodle - so what?

Re: Rants about turn signals and driving lanes

Quote:
Originally posted by $VX
Alright, like EVERYTIME I get on the highway, I get annoyed at the fact that people are DRIVING in the passing lane. The RIGHT lane is for DRIVING. The left lanes should only be used for passing someone who isn't going your speed. Simple right? Apparently not, since 90% of the people on the road don't understand this.

Also, I hate people who don't use their turn signals; they're INFINITELY more dangerous than most people speeding 10-15mph over the limit. EXCESSIVE speeding, yeah, that could be dangerous if traffic is heavy, but the the REAL accident causers are the careless cell phone jabbing poppycocks who don't use their signals and drift or snap into lanes. The guy going 25 over is probably paying a LOT of attention to the environment around him. Anyawy...

considering how I rant about this like everday, or at least NOTICE the morons who don't use their signals, what can be done? MY gf just told me to shut up about it if I don't want to make the effort to change it. Well. I'm wanting to make the effort. Question is: HOW?! Is there any 'turn signal users' club or anything? Anyone have any ideas? I want to start writing some editorials to local papers etc etc.

- Ca$h
I'm marking this day on my calendar because, for once, I agree totally with Rob. I think I must have been out of the country the day they passed that constitutional amendment against use of turn signals.

If you would like to visit a place where driving can be a dream, spend some time in Germany. Unlike the US, getting a driver's license there is very expensive and time-consuming. Germans have the best road discipline of any drivers I've seen. Generally, the worst drivers there are servicemen from an unnamed foreign country.

Autobahns without speed limits are kinda fun too, plus there's the opportunity to pay the fee to drive your car on a portion of the justly famed Nurburgring.
2001 Outback Sport
Old 11-26-2002, 04:03 PM
$VX

Quote:
Originally posted by Aredubjay

Yes, shame on you. And, I have to add another peave: when you've been seeing signs for five or more miles that say "right lane ends, merge left." And, you merge, like you're supposed to. Then, creep-o's come flying by you in the right lane and try to squeeze thier way into the bottleneck in front of you when you've been waiting a half hour, just to move a few hundred feet.
I block them. Seriously. I don't let them pass my, and I stay in that 'empty lane' going just as fast as the slow lane where everyone is politely waiting. They can honk, move and do whatever they want, but I'm not letting them pass.

- Ca$h
Old 11-26-2002, 07:31 PM
I abuse them one at a time

Location: Northbrook, Illinois, USA, Earth, Solar System... you get the picture
Send a message via AIM to Seraph Send a message via Skype™ to Seraph
Come on you guys, you are all not angels. you all have done that once in the past month... I know I have. My aim is to piss off someone at lease once a day but I manage to do that once a week.

On a serious note, I know I get pissed too...

Lwin
Previous SVXes: •1994 LE Barcelona Red 107k • 1992 LS-L Pearl White 143k • 1994 LSi Bordeaux Pearl 220k • 1992 LS-L Ebony Pearl 184k • 1992 LS-L Liquid Silver 145k • 1992 LS-L Liquid Silver 102k • 1992 LS-L Ebony Pearl 123k
Other current cars:2001 Jeep Grand Cherokee Black
If at first you don't succeed, CHEAT!
Old 11-26-2002, 09:06 PM

Send a message via Skype™ to CigarJohnny
Quote:
Originally posted by $VX

I block them. Seriously. I don't let them pass my, and I stay in that 'empty lane' going just as fast as the slow lane where everyone is politely waiting. They can honk, move and do whatever they want, but I'm not letting them pass.

- Ca$h
I always block them when I can. It's better than what I used to do when I was a younger man. Shamed to say it but while blocking the "empty" lane some morons would still try to pass me on the shoulder... more than once I tried to put them into the wall. I never had one hit it but I know they had to have sh!t their pants and thought twice about ever doing that again afterwards.

My biggest peeve these days is some people's lack of responsibility for their own mistakes. How many times these days does some jack**s miss his turn and stop dead in the straight lane to wait for his chance for the turn lane to clear only to hold up traffic for everyone going straight. For God's sake go to the next turn and backtrack like someone who is not a self absorbed "richard cranium". Heaven forbid they think of others when they screw up.

I once shattered my windshield when I punched it in frustration after deciding to let some old lady exit a parking lot in front of me near a traffic light only to have her stop dead in my lane in order for her to get into the left turn lane. I sat there stuck behind her for almost 2 light cycles while she waited for someone to let her into the left turn lane. AAAAARRRRRRGGGGGGHHHHHH!!!!!!!!!

I will stop now before I get myself too worked up. I could go on and on...

Ebony Mica '92 LS 80K Oct 2002 - Dec 2004: Victim of theft. She served me well.

You can tell the lack of craftsmanship by the wrinkles in the duct tape.
Old 11-26-2002, 10:26 PM
Invisible avatar
Alcyone Gold Contributor

Send a message via AIM to Ron Mummert Send a message via Yahoo to Ron Mummert
Exclamation

Some things to ponder.....

It's truly amazing how close the gap between civilization & barbarism becomes when we surround ourselves with metal & speed. Perhaps it's a throwback to the days of armored knights on horses assaulting each other with lances. Take away the automobile, and we're all walking along the street, or in a mall with a crowd. Occasionally we'll brush against someone, or step in front of somone by accident. Most of us would smile & say "excuse me" or "Oh, I'm sorry", with the usual response being "Hey, no problem", etc. Yet, slam the door of our mobile cocoons (drop the visor on our suit of armor) & all courtesy is left at the curb. Granted a jostle at the supermarket won't bend any costly sheet metal, but let's face it.. MOST drivers aren't out to destroy themselves. As soon as we agreed to share asphalt with all sorts of personalities, we as "good" drivers simply have to eventually realize that we'll never cure some of the moronic practices of lesser talented motorists. We should simply avoid them.
Most of you know my personal aversion to tailgaters & a lot of cell phones users. These are the same bozos that would step on your feet in a movie theater & say "Watch it, buddy". They, of course, deserve the death penalty. Yes... I DO fume when someone pulls a bonehead manuver on a public highway. Then I try to remember if I was ever guilty of doing the same thing sometime in my life. It's like counting to 10. Is the aggrevation of "bird-flipping" & hot pursuit going to change anything? It could get me shot!
It's hard to stay mellow, but force yourself. It can become a life saving habit.

Ron (soap-boxing)

'92 stock semi-pristine ebony - 160K
'96 Grand Caravan - 240K
'01 Miata SE - 79K
'07 Chrysler Pacifica - 60k - future money pit.
Old 11-26-2002, 10:44 PM
Hater

just this afternoon on the way to work:

behind a Volvo (one lane each way- can't pass)
he puts on turn signal, slows to a crawl. nope, not the turn he wanted. turn signal still on, slows to next possible turn. nope, that doesn't look good, either.....he is going around 15 in a thirty five and this goes on for about 3/4 of a mile. he finally finds the turn he wants as i start loading the ammo....

going around a bend in a two-lane. guy to my right in a compact slightly ahead of me, but i'm closing in. swerves well into my lane, so i have to slam on the brakes. swerves back, then he does it again. he gets the HORN OF SHAME for a good 30 seconds. i know he wasn't in a Formula 1 racer, but i know damn well his car can't handle THAT bad - STAY IN YOUR OWN LANE!!!

<<rant off>>

1997 SVX LSi (Ebony) SOLD!
2005 Legacy GT (Silver) [Cobb Stg 2+] SOLD!
2005 Forester XT Premium (Crystal Gray Metallic) SOLD!
2008 Lancer Evolution X MR (Apex Silver) [Cobb Stg 1+]
2015 Outlander Sport 2.4GT AWD (Mercury Gray)
2013 G37xS (Obsidian Black)