IRC users:

Go Back   The Subaru SVX World Network > SVX Main Forums > General SVX Babble

Closed Thread

Old 11-04-2002, 11:58 AM
$VX

Quote:
Originally posted by rally
"Auto is better at the strip."

Historical note of interest: One of the most popular transmissions for "mom and pop" drag racing was/is the Chevrolet Powerglide. It is an automatic transmission made mostly out of aluminum so it is light weight. Also interesting, it is only a two-speed.
This is true. This is also only applicable to modified v8s that have HUGE THICK JUICY powerbands. However, in street cars- as proven above- the manual is superior in all aspects of performance, even MPG.

- Ca$h
Old 11-04-2002, 12:01 PM
$VX

Quote:
Originally posted by MT maniac
As far as a neon being fast off the line i still have yet to see that, my last car was an 87 Nissan pulsar, the Nissan specs were like a 12 sec 0-60 time i can tell you it was less than that but no 9 seconds even, and yes it would beat a neon off the line. The pulsar doesnt even have 100hp stock.
You must have never encountered a 5spd neon.

Please read this link.

http://neon.atsweb.net/Dodge_Neon_RT.html

- Ca$h
Old 11-04-2002, 12:04 PM
$VX

Quote:
Originally posted by Earthworm
That's what my dad has in his 1969 Nova. I took it down the strip 2 years ago.
The reason you use auto's is only for consistency. When a race is won or lost by hundredths of a second you need to be able to be as accurate as possible. That's just not possible with a manual.
You would probably run faster times with a manual but nowhere near as consistent.
Whats that Shadow?! What is Earthworm saying here? He says the only reason they use autos is for CONSISTENCY?! GEE, didn't I already say that Shadow?!

And whats that last line? Could you read it to me Shadow? MY monitor is blurry and I can't read the last line he wrote. Does it say something about Manuals being faster than autos?

- Ca$h
Old 11-04-2002, 12:05 PM
$VX

Quote:
Originally posted by cjoffe
A human simply cannot shift as fast as the machine can. That's why some Motorcycle racing, Motorcycle drag, F1, and rally cars all have autoboxes. In those cases, the driver always makes the shift choice, but the tranny does the shifting.

CJ
Hey and guess how many 'street' cars use that type of automatic transmission? NONE! In almost every PRODUCTION car, the auto is slower in 0-60, slower in 1/4 mile, and slower at the top end. AND it uses more gas.

- Ca$h
Old 11-04-2002, 12:07 PM
$VX

Quote:
Originally posted by Shadow248
Thank you RALLY, MT MANIAC, EARTHWORM, and CJOFFE for you comments. I knew there were people on this site who knew their schtuff and would finally speak up.
Hey, I agree with you. Earthworm knows his stuff. He repeated what I said, and disagreed with you, but you're too dense to even notice that. And I also agree with what CJoffe said about 'racing automatics'. However, no production cars have these type of automatics, so your arguement is still ruined.

- Ca$h
Old 11-04-2002, 12:10 PM
$VX

No problem Shadow..
I just hate it when people say alot of bs about stuff they dont even understand

What, like when ignorant people talk about neons? Or when ignorant DSM people talk about SVXs? But yeah, I hate that too. Thus why I'm arguing with the ever-ignorant Shadow.

Also i had to put my word in about that why would you buy a $20,000 Neon, just why???

I wouldn't. I'd buy a 1500 dollar neon, spend 800 on a 2.4 liter engine, and another 1000 in bolt ons and suspension and run 13s in the 1/4 and get almost 1g on the skidpad. It'd rule for autocross.

- Ca$h
Old 11-04-2002, 12:12 PM
$VX

Quote:
OK here i go again.... The SVX, WRX, and the Neon are all in very different classes, as Alan said the SVX is a touring car.
Agreed. But the point that NOBODY here wants to admit is that the neon, although an economy car, puts out the numbers that are pratically IDENTICAL to our beloved SVXs. I'm not saying one is better, or whats cool (the svx obviously), I'm just stating that you can't call neons 'poor performers' or 'slow' when they're just as fast as the SVX in a lot of cases.

- Ca$h
Old 11-04-2002, 12:12 PM
Rat Fink Member ~:o)

Send a message via ICQ to Aredubjay Send a message via AIM to Aredubjay Send a message via Yahoo to Aredubjay
Registered SVX
Would you guys please put a bullet in this horse's head and let it die. You're beating this thing to death. Kill it, or I will.

Thank you in advance for your cooperation.
First to arrive at the very first Reading Meet
Subaru Ambassador

1992 SVX PPG Pace Car Replica 110+k
1993 White Impreza L 240+K miles
2001 Legacy Outback Limited Sedan 250+K miles
2013 Deep Indigo Pearl Legacy 3.6R 49+K miles

"Reading is my favorite Holiday"
Mike Davis -- at Reading VI
Old 11-04-2002, 12:17 PM
$VX

I'll let it die when Shadow removes the blinders from the real world.

- Ca$h
Closed Thread