IRC users:

Go Back   The Subaru SVX World Network > SVX Main Forums > General SVX Babble

Old 01-06-2014, 12:51 PM
Super Moderator
Alcyone Gold Contributor

Significant Technical Input Registered SVX Classic SVX
Maniac Electric Motors Alternator Update

Talked with Christian at Maniac today.

Currently, there are no stock 95A or High-Output 160A alternators for sale for the foreseeable future.

The problem is that the high end, custom-fabricated voltage regulators from Germany, that they use in our rebuilds, are on back order.

They are definitely superior and much more reliable regulators and should be available soon. Until they come in, rebuilds are on hold. The only thing they have available are brand new, stock 95A Mitsubishi alternators.

There were high-output alternators for the SVX available on from Amazon that claimed to be from Maniac Electric, but that is false. The seller is eaglehigh or Eagle Auto Electric out of Los Angeles. This is Amazon's problem and Christian is aware of this misrepresentation and is in contact with Amazon. Talked with Eagle Electric this morning. They buy SVX cores for the cases in salvage yards and rebuild them. No high-end parts like regulators and takes 1-2 weeks. They want $200 plus shipping for a 160A unit with a year warranty. If you send them a core for the case, that price is $160, plus shipping.

As I said, these are in no way affiliated with Maniac Electric.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Christian will let me know when the regulators come in and I will keep everyone updated.

For those of you who are new here, or are not familiar with MANIAC ELECTRIC MOTORS. Much Cheaper than OEM, better rebuild quality than most out there and also a better warranty.

Stock 95A alternator ...$149.00 outright, $89.00 with core exchange. 2 year warranty

160A high-output alternator...$248.00 outright, $188.00 with core exchange. 1 year warranty

If you order online and enter 4747 in the coupon code, you get free ground shipping. If ordering by phone, don't forget to mention this code as well. They will also send you a UPS Call Tag to have your old alternator shipped to them at their expense (no cost to you) to credit back the $60.00 core charge.

This is one of the best aftermarket companies I have ever dealt with. Their customer service and commitment to quality and excellence exceeds even my expectations. Christian is very knowledgeable and can answer just about any question you have. Its nice to know companies like this are still in existence.

Look at their feedback ratings on EBAY and AMAZON They don't get any better than this.

The stock 95A rebuild is more than adequate. If you have a lot of electronics, I strongly recommend the 160A high-output unit.

1996 Polo Green LSi #216..138,100 miles...SOLD

JFICX8659TH100216.....Date of Manufacture: November 16, 1995.....
Fuji Heavy Industries..Ōta North Plant....Ōta City,. Gunma Prefecture, Japan

In-Service Date: January 2, 1997

"The Pristine Green Polo Machine”
First Polo Green on the Network
First Clear front turn signals, JDM Alcyone hood emblem, rear panel, and BOXER engine cover on the Network (US) (2000)
First 5000K HID factory fog lights (2007)
First SVX JDM BBS wheels on a USDM SVX (2013)

HID lighting (5000K) for headlight and H3 fog lights, PIAA SuperExtreme 120W high beams, rebuilt EG33 longblock, Cometic head gaskets, Phase II flexplate, AMR aluminum radiator with custom silicone hoses, 160A high-output alternator in aluminum-ceramic coated case, new design alternator wiring upgrade v.4, rare factory headlight protectors, refinished JDM BBS mesh aluminum wheels and custom, polished billet aluminum new hex center caps, LED grille mod, R1 Concepts high-carbon cryo slotted rotors, Akebono ceramic pads, Goodridge S/S braided brake lines, Smallcar Stage 1 shift kit, ThermalTech aluminum/ceramic-coated valve covers, Energy Suspension urethane front & rear swaybar bushings, Bontrager22 rear swaybar with QS Components Chromoly Teflon/Kevlar endlinks, "$15.00/5 minute" suspension mod. Hella Supertone horns, Custom stainless steel exhaust system with 2" headpipes, Magnaflow cats, AeroTurbine AR25 resonator /AWD "Bullet" muffler.

R.I.P. 2010 Subaru Outback Limited 2.5 CVT...338,000 miles. Totaled by a 1,300 lb. COW March 4, 2016

2014 Hyundai Avante Limited ...178,000 miles. Actually quieter and smoother than the Outback

2007 Mazda Miata MX-5 PRHT...102,000 miles.
Plenty of parts, service and windshields.

4th Registered Network member —2/21/2001

My NEW locker..I...My Email..I..Wikipedia/SVX .

Last edited by svxcess; 02-19-2014 at 10:37 AM.
Old 01-06-2014, 01:22 PM
Super Moderator
Alcyone Gold Contributor

Re: Maniac Electric Motors Alternator Update

I just became aware of this problem this morning. I received a PM from kjoyes about this. He said:

"Hi, John,

I recently bought a high output alternator from Amazon.com from a seller called eaglehigh. In the item description it says by Manic EM.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

When I got the item, I called Manic Electric they told me that is not their product and that it was a mix some sort of mix up.

I had it tested at a local alternator rebuild shop and they gave it a load test and spun it at 4000 rpm and it produced 125A. I had my stock one tested and it produced 115A at 4000 rpm.

I called them at 818-400-4941 and they told me that they make them.
I am not sure how to ask you but could you call Eagle High and do some investigating? Act like your interested in buying one and see if they are legit or not."

They probably are legitimate. He did not mention Maniac or attempt to deceive me. I just don't know about the quality of the rebuild or testing.

The seller said the alternator was 160A, but kyjoyes said it bench-tested at only 125A. Kjoyes also said his stock 95A alternator tested at 115A. Why wuld one alternator test lower and one higher?

Maybe kjoyes can add more information. More information is needed. It seems thay kjoyes tried to buy from Maniac first and found out they were not available from her. Then went looking online and found the Amazon site with the Maniac EM listing and bought from the seller.

First Clear front turn signals, JDM Alcyone hood emblem, rear panel, and BOXER engine cover on the Network (US) (2000)

HID lighting (5000K) for headlight and H3 fog lights, PIAA SuperExtreme 120W high beams, rebuilt EG33 longblock, Cometic head gaskets, Phase II flexplate, AMR aluminum radiator with custom silicone hoses, 160A high-output alternator in aluminum-ceramic coated case, new design alternator wiring upgrade v.4, rare factory headlight protectors, refinished JDM BBS mesh aluminum wheels and custom, polished billet aluminum new hex center caps, LED grille mod, R1 Concepts high-carbon cryo slotted rotors, Akebono ceramic pads, Goodridge S/S braided brake lines, Smallcar Stage 1 shift kit, ThermalTech aluminum/ceramic-coated valve covers, Energy Suspension urethane front & rear swaybar bushings, Bontrager22 rear swaybar with QS Components Chromoly Teflon/Kevlar endlinks, "$15.00/5 minute" suspension mod. Hella Supertone horns, Custom stainless steel exhaust system with 2" headpipes, Magnaflow cats, AeroTurbine AR25 resonator /AWD "Bullet" muffler.

R.I.P. 2010 Subaru Outback Limited 2.5 CVT...338,000 miles. Totaled by a 1,300 lb. COW March 4, 2016

2014 Hyundai Avante Limited ...178,000 miles. Actually quieter and smoother than the Outback

Last edited by svxcess; 01-07-2014 at 02:59 PM.
Old 01-07-2014, 06:12 PM
Super Moderator
Alcyone Gold Contributor

The specs on the 160A high-output alternator that kjoyes bought from eaglehigh look pretty good. I ran them by Christian at Maniac Electric and she agrees.

The only question is the stability and durability of the voltage regulator they use. Since the alternator rpm is 3 times the engine rpm, the real time stats are:

At 600 rpm idle, alternator is producing 95A
At 2000 rpm, the alternator is producing 164A

Our 750rpm idle should produce 115-120A

I believe they want $200, plus shipping for a rebuilt unit. If you have a core to send them at your expense, you may be able to get it for $150.00, plus shipping.

Just a temporary option if you need an alternator before Christian can start delivering again.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 160A alternator chart.jpg (151.1 KB, 1210 views)

Last edited by svxcess; 01-07-2014 at 07:20 PM.
Old 01-08-2014, 02:49 AM
Banned

Send a message via AIM to Johnybeas Send a message via MSN to Johnybeas Send a message via Yahoo to Johnybeas Send a message via Skype™ to Johnybeas
Registered SVX

Not trying to hijack the thread or take any business away from maniac, I actually just ordered a plug from them today.

However, I do have another option for high output alternators I've been kinda keeping on the dl because most svx owners wouldn't spend the green for them. They are completely brand new units, not rebuilds or overwound alternators. They are billet aluminum and come in 4 diff. Optional finishes and are 170A alternators. They produce close to 140 at idle and up from there as rpms go up. If anyone wants to know more details pm me. But again, just offering this since maniac is currently unable to deliver. Not trying to step on any toes or get any more flack.
Old 01-08-2014, 03:24 PM

Registered SVX

i just went to a local alternator shop needed a rebuild anyways, for an extra 40 he bumped it to 140A
Old 01-08-2014, 04:03 PM
Super Moderator
Alcyone Gold Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gamesy View Post
i just went to a local alternator shop needed a rebuild anyways, for an extra 40 he bumped it to 140A
More than enough.

See this post and the testing procedure I did on the stock 95A alternator.

Old 01-11-2014, 02:23 AM

So, far I am very happy with my high output alternator I bought from eaglehigh. I got nervous after I found out manic electric did not build it. so I contacted svxcess. Thanks you, for helping me you know a lot more about alternators than I ever will, so nice to have you here.

The alternator has handled everything my car and I have thrown at it.
I have the alternator wiring mod and a strong battery.
so there are no weak links in the system.
but now I can say that weak link, was the stock alternator.
I ran the stock alternator with the same battery and the alt mod, It could not handle my sub hitting (I have a small setup) at idle. It struggled best way to describe it.
Things just didn't feel they where getting enough power. also, my stock alternator was struggling so much it heated up my engine bay.

hopefully with this alternator will last long because it wont have to work as hard and the battery will last longer because it wont have to pick up the slack for the alternator.
***still to early to tell I am just telling you my initial impressions
the only way to describe it is Power; and not having to worry about not having it***
Q: someone said that having a high output alternator give you worse gas mileage is this true?

Last edited by kjoyes; 01-11-2014 at 02:53 AM.
Old 01-11-2014, 06:27 AM
51 Club

Registered SVX

A high output alternator does not affect mileage.
Old 01-11-2014, 01:07 PM
Super Moderator
Alcyone Gold Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blacky View Post
A high-output alternator does not affect mileage.
This is true, the alternator pulley spins at the same rpm, whether it is a 95A or a 160A. Bearings are identical.

Still going to give you only the power you require, and nothing more. Between the more efficient alternator, and the new wiring which gives you less resistance, things can only improve.

What does improve is the reliability of youe electrical system. With a stable power source and improved voltages, the electronics work as in tended. Fewer shorts and bulb burnouts, etc.

Last edited by svxcess; 01-12-2014 at 08:57 AM.
Old 01-11-2014, 07:08 PM
Super Moderator
Alcyone Gold Contributor

Glad to hear it is functioning well. It is also very important to have a good, fully-charged battery when testing your system.

For your information here is testing I did on the alternator starting 10 years ago when everything was a lot newer.

The main point of this is even when a high-output alternator is installed, readings can still be low if you have a bad battery.

TEST RESULTS: 1996 SUBARU SVX
2001 Mileage: 42,000 miles

Subaru 95A alternator. The only upgrade to the vehicle for these results are: Optima “red top” battery 34-980 with 1000CA, 800CA, Reserve: 100, 4 gauge wire upgrade.

Start-up voltage in the morning, cold engine: 14.5 volts
Normal highway speeds, stereo on, no A/C: 14.1 volts
Normal highway speeds, high electrical load (high and low beams, stereo, rear defroster, air conditioning): 13.8 volts

700 rpm idle, no load: 13.9 volts
700 rpm idle, high electrical load: 13.3 volts.

My last test was turn on everything that could possibly be turned on. This full load included everything mentioned above plus hazard flashers, cruise control, room and map lights, heated mirrors, and front and rear wipers.

At highway speeds: 13.5 volts.
At 750 rpm idle: 12.2 volts.

2008 Mileage: 110,000 miles

Start-up voltage in the morning, cold engine: 14.3 volts
Normal highway speeds, stereo on, no A/C: 13.4 volts
Normal highway speeds, high electrical load (high and low beams, stereo, rear defroster, air conditioning): 13.2 volts
750 rpm idle, no load: 12.4 volts

The last test was turn on everything that could possibly be turned on. This full load included everything mentioned above plus hazard flashers, cruise control, room and map lights, heated mirrors, and front and rear wipers.

At highway speeds, voltage was 12.9 volts.
At 750 rpm idle: 11.8-12.0 volts.

As you can see, voltage readings had deteriorated over the years, probably due to an aging battery and increased resistance due to corrosion and internal resistance of the wires with age.

On March 24, 2009, I installed a new 160A high-output alternator and the new 4 gauge wiring upgrade, things were a little better, but not as much as I had hoped.

Start-up voltage, cold engine: 14.3 volts
Normal highway speeds, stereo on, no A/C: 13.5-13.8 volts
Normal highway speeds, high electrical load (high and low beams, stereo, rear defroster, air conditioning): 13.3 volts

750 rpm idle, no load: 12.6 volts
750 rpm idle: high load: 12.1 volts

After Talking to Christian, she suggested checking out my battery. I hadn’t experienced any problems with my Optima battery; however, the battery was over 8 years old. Was a weak battery causing these unsatisfactory readings?

I had the battery load-tested and indeed it was bad. After replacing the battery with another Optima Red Top, the voltage readings were much improved.

Start-up voltage after battery install, cold engine: 14.5 volts
Normal highway speeds, stereo on, no A/C: 13.9 volts
Normal highway speeds, high electrical load (high and low beams, stereo, rear defroster, air conditioning): 13.8 volts

750 rpm idle, no load: 13.6 volts
750rpm idle, high load: 13.4 volts

Testing your charging system with a weak battery can cause poor results. All testing on charging and starting systems require a good and fully-charged battery.

Last edited by svxcess; 01-12-2014 at 08:58 AM.
Old 01-12-2014, 09:31 PM

when I get around to it I take some pictures of the alternator.
q: will this plug work for our alternators cheaper than manics electrics http://www.ebay.com/itm/Alternator-R...e825d8&vxp=mtr

Last edited by kjoyes; 01-20-2014 at 02:09 AM.
Old 01-21-2014, 03:03 PM
Subaru Silver Contributor

Registered SVX

If their regulators are so well built, why have there been numerous cases of them failing and causing overvoltage situations? (this is just on the stock amp rated alt's.)
I no longer recommend them due to quite a few failures. (maybe lower rate than box store but still over half a dozen)

BTW, was good to chat a bit the other day, John.
Old 04-21-2014, 08:26 AM

Called Maniac this morning (4/21/14) on their high output SVX alternator. Still none available and no estimate if/when they will get the necessary regulators. Bummer as it is getting mod the SVX season here in the cold white north and this was high on our to do list.
Old 05-13-2014, 02:20 PM

5/13/14 - Still no date from maniac if/when they will get the necessary regulators.
Old 05-13-2014, 07:09 PM
Super Moderator
Alcyone Gold Contributor

Christian is looking into other companies to manufacture the regulators that meet the same quality control and performance standards as the ones she uses from Germany.

Still holding out hope that another batch will be produced.