Live Chat!
SVX or Subaru Links
Old Lockers
Photo Post
How-To Documents
Message Archive
SVX Shop Search
IRC users:

Go Back   The Subaru SVX World Network > SVX Main Forums > MOD Mania > Proven Engine Enhancements

Old 03-29-2012, 11:09 PM

$36 Replacement ignition coils?

Say it aint so! Well it is indeed so. In fact, these coils pump more volts with a longer spark duration than our stock ignition coils to boot!
One catch.. A little bit of fabrication work will be needed. But its nothing the average wrench cant do!

My SVX had the much hated, and apparently never truly solved in the forums, hiccup in the ignition.
Parts upon parts later. I was testing one of the coilpacks for spark by plugging in a spark plug and grounding the plug while running the engine to check for spark. While holding the coil, it shocked the bageezus out of me. Cripes! A bad coil!
Seeing how expensive they were, i began to track down an alternative.
And here it is!
http://www.summitracing.com/parts/SUM-850500/

The summit racing street and strip coil.

These can be remote mounted away from engine heat and vibration. More voltage, longer spark and 8k max rpm.

For spark plug wires, just a simple universal ACCEL kit. # 5040B
Perfect fit.

And with a little luck and relocation / removal of non-vital components, it will look a little something like this

Install is simple. Cut the two leads to the existing coilpacks, and use the supplied fittings to bolt them to the new coil. You just need to know which wire is + and -.

The spark energy by these coils is astounding! During tests,The spark jumped from the plug 9" to ground. o.O

Last edited by smc; 03-29-2012 at 11:12 PM.
Old 03-30-2012, 07:25 AM
My car's Italian, right?

Send a message via AIM to Tim
Re: $36 Replacement ignition coils?

Subscribed
2012 Camry V6 SE
Old 03-30-2012, 08:04 AM
Happy SVX
Subaru Silver Contributor

Registered SVX

Wow that's awesome. I like the look when mounted too.
1992 SVX LSL 5-Speed Sold at 180K 2019
1995 SVX Lsi Polo Sold at 118K 2007
Old 04-02-2012, 01:01 AM

Allrighty. Update. Well, seeing that the weather cleared up for a bit. Eg it stopped snowing.. *grumble grumble* I took today and got things wired up. The battery is now located in the trunk with 4 ga. wire run through the cab, out an existing grommet in the drivers wheel well and into the engine bay. Ive removed the radiator overflow tank and it will be replaced with a smaller tank put in the old location of the battery, thus freeing up space on the drivers side wheel well arch.. Ive also removed the windshield wiper fluid tank and plumbed the line from the rear wiper tank, forward to the front windshield wiper squirters. Thus freeing up the passenger side wheel well arch.

Also, i removed the factory fuel filter canister and replaced it with a more compact inline fuel filter.

I have installed 1 new coil just as a tester and an immediate replacement for the burned out factory coil.

For what its worth, my low rpm ignition hiccup is completely gone now!
Its great to have the car back to full power again.

Im looking forward to getting the other 5 coils installed next week.

Pictures to follow tomorrow after work
Old 04-02-2012, 02:17 AM
My Other car is a GENIUS Car!
Subaru Bronze Contributor

Registered SVX

Awesome! Looking forward to the pictures
Old 04-02-2012, 09:36 AM
some sort of nerd. some sort.

Registered SVX

Quote:
Originally Posted by smc View Post
Allrighty. Update. Well, seeing that the weather cleared up for a bit. Eg it stopped snowing.. *grumble grumble* I took today and got things wired up. The battery is now located in the trunk with 4 ga. wire run through the cab, out an existing grommet in the drivers wheel well and into the engine bay. Ive removed the radiator overflow tank and it will be replaced with a smaller tank put in the old location of the battery, thus freeing up space on the drivers side wheel well arch.. Ive also removed the windshield wiper fluid tank and plumbed the line from the rear wiper tank, forward to the front windshield wiper squirters. Thus freeing up the passenger side wheel well arch.

Also, i removed the factory fuel filter canister and replaced it with a more compact inline fuel filter.

I have installed 1 new coil just as a tester and an immediate replacement for the burned out factory coil.

For what its worth, my low rpm ignition hiccup is completely gone now!
Its great to have the car back to full power again.

Im looking forward to getting the other 5 coils installed next week.

Pictures to follow tomorrow after work
You and I are gonna get along just fine.

Click the battery relocation link in my sig for pics of how I did it.

All the things I bolded are things that I either have been planning to do or have already done. Post some pics!
'94 Laguna Blue LSi ~159k.......JDM ultra short-geared 3.900 STi Version 7 6-speed w/ Cobb shortshifter, ECUtune 244,8.1mm/256,9.1mm i/e cams, group N motor mounts, '97 grille, JDM clear corners, Momo JDM Legacy GT steering wheel, apkarian's LED tails, silver STi BBS wheels, PWR radiator, redstuff pads f/r, drilled/slotted rotors, bontragerworks rsb #18, Koni/GC 450f/375r coilovers, Megan Racing adjustable lateral links, KMac c/c plates, Stebro exhaust, ECUtune 1v5, Optima battery in the trunk where it belongs. Turbo project

'97 Ebony LSi ~137k #036.......Power mode mod, JDM clear corners, BBS wheels. AUX/pocket mod

Now a mod "over there" ............Photo album
Old 04-03-2012, 09:57 PM

Pictures of the ignition coil install. Just the one for now. Paycheck on friday will allow for 5 additional more. Also a few quick pictures of the battery relocation, and my hood louvers to reduce the under hood temps.

Here you can see the space that was freed up by the removal of the overflow tank and canister style fuel filter. Oddly enough, the new inline filter flows better than the old style. http://www.summitracing.com/parts/HLY-562-1/
Just that swap alone gives the car a bit more get up and go. And the old filter that I removed only had 2k miles on it. I was surprised.

Originally I had fabricated up aluminum mounting brackets that would act as a flat platform to mount the coils to. However it seems that they will be more compact and in all honesty look better, simply mounted using the supplied mounting hardware directly to the well.
Three coils will fit perfectly in the orientation.

The engine bay

The battery relocation. Fyi.. do NOT get this relocation kit from summit.
http://www.summitracing.com/parts/MRG-6279/

I dont know WTF Mr. Gasket was thinking when designing this kit, but there is no way in hell it will work. The battery clamp bracket is too wide for the battery box to secure the battery. It mounts to the box itself to hold it down. But the box is so flimsy that it bows out with even the slightest amount of tension. So i dont know what the heck they expect you to secure your battery with. I guess just let it flop around in there. The mounting bolts have thread on them for miles... below where you would normally bolt something. If your mounting surface is directly below the box (duh..) then you will need to create a 2" spacer in order to not run out of thread on the bolt while tightening it down.
Lastly, the top strap is directly in the center of the box. How the hell am i supposed to bolt this thing down? Drill holes in the strap to mount into the floor?

Again.. What the hell?

Any way. A few pictures of the louvers. A DRASTIC drop in under hood temps. To the point that after 10 minutes of 120 mph driving, the intake was still cool to the touch.
This was more or less a proof of concept install. There is a area of low pressure on the hood where i mounted the louvers. I noticed this after rain on the hood remained static there while at speed on the highway.
This was also proven after the install when on a cold night i hosed down the engine while hot thus creating copious amounts of steam. I shut the hood. A fair amount of steam escaped. Once I started driving, steam was sucked out of the bay Far more rapidly than at a stop.
This will be refined a bit more with a fiberglass hood in the future.

Last edited by smc; 04-03-2012 at 09:59 PM.
Old 04-03-2012, 10:46 PM
Just dip a toe!

Registered SVX

Nice work sir! Is that white foxbody vert yours too?
91 XT6
93 D21 4wd
95 SVX LSi
02 Windstar Sport
03 CL500
03 Avalanche NF
07 RDX
08 Outback
10 Outback
10 Murano
12 Accent
15 STi
Old 04-03-2012, 10:58 PM
some sort of nerd. some sort.

Registered SVX

Did you look through my thread on battery relocation? It will help: http://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/showthread.php?t=58723

Also, sup with the driver's seat? Looks cool.

That's a really clean engine bay. Clean car overall.
'94 Laguna Blue LSi ~159k.......JDM ultra short-geared 3.900 STi Version 7 6-speed w/ Cobb shortshifter, ECUtune 244,8.1mm/256,9.1mm i/e cams, group N motor mounts, '97 grille, JDM clear corners, Momo JDM Legacy GT steering wheel, apkarian's LED tails, silver STi BBS wheels, PWR radiator, redstuff pads f/r, drilled/slotted rotors, bontragerworks rsb #18, Koni/GC 450f/375r coilovers, Megan Racing adjustable lateral links, KMac c/c plates, Stebro exhaust, ECUtune 1v5, Optima battery in the trunk where it belongs. Turbo project

'97 Ebony LSi ~137k #036.......Power mode mod, JDM clear corners, BBS wheels. AUX/pocket mod

Now a mod "over there" ............Photo album
Old 04-03-2012, 10:59 PM
Designated Asshole

Registered SVX

Quote:
Pictures of the ignition coil install. Just the one for now. Paycheck on friday will allow for 5 additional more. Also a few quick pictures of the battery relocation, and my hood louvers to reduce the under hood temps.

Here you can see the space that was freed up by the removal of the overflow tank and canister style fuel filter. Oddly enough, the new inline filter flows better than the old style. http://www.summitracing.com/parts/HLY-562-1/
Just that swap alone gives the car a bit more get up and go. And the old filter that I removed only had 2k miles on it. I was surprised.

I see that it only has one line running to it..the stock one uses two lines..What did you do to the other fuel line nipple on the block?
Old 04-03-2012, 11:13 PM

*chuckles* Yeah, the ol' fox is mine. She's been a loyal companion from the day we got it back in 93. But, she's falling apart. I thought about rebuilding her, but its just not worth it. So the engine, trans and rear suspension are going into a ford focus Muahahaha!

Yes, I did indeed read your page on the battery swap! Good info! I cheated with mine. Just a junction block for the positive cable to tie into the old existing positive. The ground on the battery leads to a bumper bolt under the rubber grommets, and the stock ground lead is bolted to the front bumper bolt. easy peasy. Also, the positive cable fits perfectly through an existing grommet in the wheel well where the airbag sensor wire is routed. This way i didnt have to go though the firewall.
The drivers seat.. I ditched the factory one to shed weight. Damn near 70 lbs. Its insane. I picked up this one from summit off the display sale section as a temporary seat and also to see if it will fit my co-driver. He's 6'4" 320lbs. With this seat sitting a good 4" lower than stock, his head still nearly hits the sunroof brackets. Ill be honest, Its the most uncomfortable seat I have ever sat in. I want to get my fixed back momo's in there asap. But in order to do that ill need to mount up the harness seatbelts. In order to do that ill need to get the cage fabricated in order to get the proper alignment on the belts. Also ill have to fabricate new floor mounts etc etc. My co-drivers seat will need to basically be mounted strait to the floor. Funny, it was never an issue in the wrx. Even with the cage o.O Im need to be creative in order to get this cage as tight as possible and still be in spec for Rally America.

As for the battery, Ill secure it better when i remove the spare tire well and plate it over.

The stock filter has only one line. The inlet from the tank and the outlet to the fuel rails. The other two are just tank returns. ... At least thats the way it is on the 96. ? Hmm. I dont recall how it was plumbed on my old 92.

Anywho, thanks for the comments fellas. The engine bay is always clean. I hate working on the car and having crud falling in my face. Also i can keep an eye on leaky seals

Last edited by smc; 04-03-2012 at 11:22 PM.
Old 04-03-2012, 11:33 PM
Designated Asshole

Registered SVX

Quote:

The stock filter has only one line. The inlet from the tank and the outlet to the fuel rails. The other two are just tank returns. ... At least thats the way it is on the 96. ? Hmm. I dont recall how it was plumbed on my old 92.
It's the same on my 92. I see it has two lines going from the top of the filter, to the block. I see ONE line going to the block with your inline. What did you do to the other nipple?
Old 04-03-2012, 11:35 PM

Off topic here.. But this is my old rally car. And is more or less what ill be fabricating for the SVX. With a few updates on the cage for 2012 regulations.

Old 04-03-2012, 11:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chuckls View Post
What did you do to the other nipple?

Heh. Sorry. I only had the one line that was in the filter. Ill go take a picture and post it up in a few minutes.
Old 04-03-2012, 11:50 PM