Photo Post
How-To Documents
Message Archive
SVX Shop Search
IRC users:

Go Back   The Subaru SVX World Network > SVX Main Forums > General SVX Babble

Old 05-02-2009, 10:19 PM

2 SVX's.... 2 Problems....

I have 2 94 model svx's. one awd and one fwd. I've encountered 2 problems here. On my awd car their was never anything at all wrong with it. Well the altenator went out on me one day so i had to park the car for a month until i got one shipped to me. after i got it put on and started to drive the car i noticed the tranny wouldn't shift until a high rpm or until 21 miles per hour. now i noticed i don't have second gear. if i'm goin on the interste and try to kick it down into passing gear it like slips to nuetral. i don't understand cause it wasn't like that before i parked it. could it be a speed sensor or was it just time for the tranny to give. i still drive the car. i just bought my fwd svx. it won't start with a key. it has a chapman security system on it with a remote starter. the car will only start like every 20 times with the remote also. it clicks maybe like starter is going out. i don't know if it is meybe the security or the starter? anyone know what any of this could be????
Old 05-02-2009, 11:12 PM
15th time is a charm?

Registered SVX
Re: 2 SVX's.... 2 Problems....

Quote:
Originally Posted by ~D~I~ View Post
I have 2 1994 SVXs; one AWD and one FWD. I've encountered two problems here.

On my AWD car their was never anything at all wrong with it. Well, the altenator went out on me one day so I parked the car while I had a replacement unit shipped to me. After I had a shop install the alternator, I noticed the tranny won't shift until a high rpm or until 21 miles per hour. Now I noticed I don't have second gear. If I'm on the interstate and try to kick it down into passing gear, it like slips to neutral. I don't understand cause it wasn't like that before I parked it. Could it be a speed sensor or was it just time for the tranny to give? I still drive the car.

I just bought my FWD SVX. It won't start with a key. It has a Chapman security system on it with a remote starter. The car will only start like every 20 times with the remote also. it clicks maybe like starter is going out. i don't know if it is meybe the security or the starter? anyone know what any of this could be????

Fixed your post.

For your first SVX, I would suggest first checking your trans fluid.

On your second SVX, it sounds like you are not getting good contact either at your ignition switch, starter, or battery. Check and clean associated electrical connections at the battery, ground, and starter. Inspect for split cables.

Good Luck.
Old 05-03-2009, 09:08 AM

that's the first thing i did man. the tranny fluid is fine looks and smells good in it. no shavings in it what so ever.

on my fwd, i've even paid this so called electrcian come and trace some of my wires and he said he thinks it might be a wire of some sort under the dash possibly but he's not sure. almost all the wires under the dash run to two chapman security boxes though????
Old 05-03-2009, 10:39 PM
Found a lost SVX

For your transmission it sounds like a hydraulic problem. Something with the solenoid, if there are no signs of burnt or worn clutches. You'll need to either look up how to check all the lines and the solenoid or take it to a pro.

For your starting problem I have seen this before but on a ford. Take the security system OFF COMPLETELY. After that is done it should start fine. (Might have to change your battery too.)

:..Fey..:2005 World Rally Blue Impreza WRX 80k and rising. MODs: Lowering springs, 22mm sway bars. SS brake lines.
Old 05-04-2009, 01:50 AM

Registered SVX

Starter motor problems could be brushes are worn and need replacing.
Or maybe the wire from the ignition to the starter has degraded?
both of those had happened on my XT6s and dads Impreza
1973 1400 GSR Yelo 2 Door Coupe awaiting Restoration
Old 05-04-2009, 11:08 AM
Never Forget

Registered SVX

i have the same problem with starting on my 94 L...i was told its the ignition switch but idk....i was also told to search the forums cause its a heavy topic however i cant due to the message archives dont work for me??

94 SVX L AWD Conversion Barcelona Red First car and now being restored, 215xxx
Old 05-06-2009, 06:06 AM
Scottsubarus

My 92 SVX with just factory security system was doing the exact same thing when trying to start it at times. Starter click, but no crank. At the time my son owned the car and he did some research on this site and found that it had been somewhat of a common thing that was cured by some sort of addition of a wire and relay to the wiring above the starter. Anyway, it cured the problem of starting and has been doing fine the past 4 years I've been driving the car.

Wish I knew more details of the repair, but might do some searching on here to see if you can dig it up. If you don't have any luck, let me know and I can ask him.

Scott
sashaeffer@hotmail.com