Message Archive
SVX Shop Search
IRC users:

Go Back   The Subaru SVX World Network > SVX Main Forums > General SVX Babble
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 02-12-2009, 10:59 AM
What do you mean wrong SVX?

Post How much should I be saving up?

I've gotten to the point where I need to consider either keeping the SVX for a while and putting some money into it or selling it. As of now, I need a transmission rebuild, suspension all around (on it's way out, height is normal but ride is no longer comfy), and my exhaust has seen better days. I figured if I were to do a rebuild, it'd have to be something like a level 10 rebuild to prevent a future breakdown. I'd love to add a 3rd pedal, but it's way too pricey right now.

Anyone see any different options or have any realistic pricing figures?
Old 02-12-2009, 11:05 AM

Re: How much should I be saving up?

Unless you have the cash or the vested interest, IMO it is hard to justify dropping thousands on an old car. Get it running and sell it if you don't have the means etc to keep it up.
Old 02-12-2009, 11:09 AM

It's running, but I was reading up and it's pretty clear that my front diff is binding. I'm out of school in less than a year and will be moving to a real job hopefully. I'd definitely come back to an SVX once bankroll for bill payments isn't an issue. I don't even know where I'd price it at this point if I were to make an ad.
Old 02-12-2009, 04:11 PM
Unregistered User

Send a message via MSN to Freeman
Registered SVX

I'm pretty much in the same boat with the financial situation. I've got bills to pay and selling my SVX would really help a lot.. But I'm not doing it... I plan on having her for at least 15 years.. lol

I say save up and buy the various mods and upgrades she needs to keep going!
1992 Pearl White LS-L "Ruslana" #4946 - 180k on body, 95k on engine.
Mods: ECU bead crush, 15 min mod, 20 min mod, drilled/slotted rotors & Axxis ceramic brakes, SS lines, 17" Evoke F1 wheels, XS-HF137 Sony Xplod speakers, 6000k HID's (lows & fogs), resistor mod, 1˝" Sleek Spoiler mod, custom exhaust by svxfiles, '02 WRX aluminum racing radiator by svxfiles, Summit Racing 400# x 300# springs w/ Koni's by svxfiles, ClassGlass fiberglass hood /w scoop, Nevin's rear sway bar, '97 grille, phenolic spacers, custom LED interior lighting, custom paint.
†"War doesn't determine who is right, only who is left"†
Work to be done: Tinted windows, clear/LED tail lights, tailbar mod, "Power Mode" mod, Supertone horns, clear corners & headlight lenses, 2 pc splitters or custom bumper, Alcyone side skirts, TruSpeed Stage III SVX Intake, Hydra, 4.44 tranny swap, JDM auto folding side mirrors, engine rebuild, super charger, STi seats, bone leather interior /w SVX emblem, dash overhaul, SVX decals, paint (stock color). Total cost?: 22k At least it's going down..
Old 02-12-2009, 05:04 PM
Banned

Send a message via AIM to Johnybeas Send a message via MSN to Johnybeas Send a message via Yahoo to Johnybeas Send a message via Skype™ to Johnybeas
Registered SVX

honestly my opinion is similar to liamrh, The svx can be an awesome car, it can be reliable, but it can also be a money drainer.

Especially if one thing starts breaking, depending on how many miles are on it, and how well previous owners treated it, it could become a snowball effect and multiple things could start breaking and you might end up dropping even thousands more on the car than you were planning on or thought might have been the worst case scenario.

My case for example, my car has had it's good times and it's rough times. When my auto tranny went and I went through the 5 speed conversion, I didn't have the easiest time doing it like some of the other members on here. I had a lot of things happen. A lot more than I planned on ended up needing to be replaced.

Then on top of that, once finally finished I find out that the junk yard I got my tranny and everything from sent me the wrong flywheel, not knowing what a wrx flywheel looked like, when it bolted up just fine I didn't know the difference. This in turn ended up causing minor rubbing that ended up causing undue friction and torque against the normal operation of the motor and caused me to blow my motor.

So a month or so after having my working car after the long struggle of the conversion I had to buy a new motor! And not having the time nor the patience or even the tools I needed to do it myself this time, I had to pay labor for the engine swap. This ended up costing A LOT MORE. Had I not recently come into some money, I would have been stuck in the water with no car again.

You need to assess your personal situation, look at the cars overall condition, and think long and hard about whether or not you have the resources or the flexibility both financially and time wise to keep the car and try to do what's needed to do the car and yourself justice in your situation.

Don't get me wrong, I absolutely love my svx and I think to me the amount of work I myself have put into my car, I couldn't justify selling her. There is really too much of me in my Smokey. But you need to ask yourself is how much do I really love my SVX? Is she worth all this money? or do you feel more like "she's a gold digger" lol.

Just my $.02
Old 02-12-2009, 05:05 PM
Banned

Send a message via AIM to Johnybeas Send a message via MSN to Johnybeas Send a message via Yahoo to Johnybeas Send a message via Skype™ to Johnybeas
Registered SVX

but personally if it were me and you loved her enough I'd do a wrx 5spd or sti 6 and koni gc's if you need to replace the old with new... why not upgrade... why settle for stock???
Old 02-12-2009, 05:12 PM
Moar shifty!
Subaru Gold Contributor

Send a message via MSN to Crazy_pilot
Registered SVX

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnybeas View Post
but personally if it were me and you loved her enough I'd do a wrx 5spd or sti 6 and koni gc's if you need to replace the old with new... why not upgrade... why settle for stock???
Not to mention if you're up to doing the work yourself you can often save money by going aftermarket.

92 Ebony Mica LS-L "A Rolling Restoration": 223,250 KM - Sleeping
2007 STi 6MT, Stance GR+ coilovers, PWR Rad, JDM hood badge, svxfiles 6000K HIDs, JDM Clear Corners, $15/15 min mod, $20/20 min mod, Energy Swaybar Bushings, Hella Supertones horns, Gold STi BBS rims, Group A lightweight crank pulley, A/C system removed, Custom header-back exhaust, Hybrid carbon/metal rear sway bar, restored headlights with CCFL halos
2008 Subaru Legacy Spec B - Diamond Grey Metallic - Sold
2020 Ram 1500 Longhorn - Red Pearl

Old 02-12-2009, 05:14 PM
15th time is a charm?

Registered SVX

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mensaf View Post
It's running, but I was reading up and it's pretty clear that my front diff is binding. I'm out of school in less than a year and will be moving to a real job hopefully. I'd definitely come back to an SVX once bankroll for bill payments isn't an issue. I don't even know where I'd price it at this point if I were to make an ad.

Your front diff is binding? This is relatively uncommon. Usually the center diff is the one to have binding issues. You can bring it by and we can take a look at it for you before you make a hasty decision.
Old 02-12-2009, 05:50 PM
Betcha can't buy just one!
Alcyone Gold Contributor

Send a message via ICQ to ensteele Send a message via Yahoo to ensteele Send a message via Skype™ to ensteele
Registered SVX Classic SVX

Yes, I would have someone who knows about the car look at it for you so you aren't guessing what may be wrong with it. It may be less of a problem than you think.

Subaru Ambassador

[COLOR=”silver”]1992 Tri Color L[/COLOR] ~45K (06/91) #2430
1992 Dark Teal LS-L ~184K (05/91) #0739
1992 Claret LS-L ~196K (05/91) #0831
1992 Pearl LS-L ~103K (06/91) #1680
1992 Pearl LS-L ~151K (06/91) #2229
1992 Dark Teal LS ~150K (07/91) #3098 (parts car)
1992 White LS-L ~139K (08/92) #6913
1993 25th AE ~98K (02/93) #164
1993 25th AE ~58K (02/93) #176
1993 25th AE ~107K (02/93) #215
1993 25th AE ~162K (02/93) #223
1994 Laguna Blue Pearl LSi ~124K (1/94) #2408
1994 Laguna Blue Pearl LSi ~144K (10/93) #1484
1994 Laguna Blue Pearl LSi ~68K (10/93) #1525
1994 Barcelona Red LSi ~46K (02/94) #2624
1994 Pearl LSi ~41K (12/93) #1961
1995 Bordeaux Pearl LSi ~70K (02/95) #855
1996 Polo Green LSi ~95K (03/96) #872
1997 Bordeaux Pearl LSi ~55K (08/96) #097
2003 Brilliant Red LS1 Convertible ~29K (04/03) #8951
1999 Magnetic Red LS1 Coupe ~33K (04/99) #6420

My Email | Old Locker | New Locker | Picture of 15 of the 19
Old 02-12-2009, 06:22 PM

Quote:
honestly my opinion is similar to liamrh, The svx can be an awesome car, it can be reliable, but it can also be a money drainer.

Especially if one thing starts breaking, depending on how many miles are on it, and how well previous owners treated it, it could become a snowball effect and multiple things could start breaking and you might end up dropping even thousands more on the car than you were planning on or thought might have been the worst case scenario.

My case for example, my car has had it's good times and it's rough times. When my auto tranny went and I went through the 5 speed conversion, I didn't have the easiest time doing it like some of the other members on here. I had a lot of things happen. A lot more than I planned on ended up needing to be replaced.

Then on top of that, once finally finished I find out that the junk yard I got my tranny and everything from sent me the wrong flywheel, not knowing what a wrx flywheel looked like, when it bolted up just fine I didn't know the difference. This in turn ended up causing minor rubbing that ended up causing undue friction and torque against the normal operation of the motor and caused me to blow my motor.

So a month or so after having my working car after the long struggle of the conversion I had to buy a new motor! And not having the time nor the patience or even the tools I needed to do it myself this time, I had to pay labor for the engine swap. This ended up costing A LOT MORE. Had I not recently come into some money, I would have been stuck in the water with no car again.

You need to assess your personal situation, look at the cars overall condition, and think long and hard about whether or not you have the resources or the flexibility both financially and time wise to keep the car and try to do what's needed to do the car and yourself justice in your situation.

Don't get me wrong, I absolutely love my svx and I think to me the amount of work I myself have put into my car, I couldn't justify selling her. There is really too much of me in my Smokey. But you need to ask yourself is how much do I really love my SVX? Is she worth all this money? or do you feel more like "she's a gold digger" lol.

Just my $.02
This sounds very much like the other road I'd be facing. I'm going to evaluate it this weekend.
Quote:
We're talking about stuff in the thousands of dollars here. I've got about a year left in school and work full time to help make ends meet at home and cover tuition while going full time every night. The parts alone for the suspension and manual swap are well into the $4000-$5000 range. If money weren't an issue, I wouldn't have bothered with the thread.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Crazy_pilot View Post
Not to mention if you're up to doing the work yourself you can often save money by going aftermarket.
I do my own work. I'll pay people to do it when I don't like cars anymore
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike621 View Post
Your front diff is binding? This is relatively uncommon. Usually the center diff is the one to have binding issues. You can bring it by and we can take a look at it for you before you make a hasty decision.
Well, I initially thought it was the axle. When I went under, I found out that the axle was fine. I turn right and it clicks incredibly loud. I changed the fluid and it quieted down a bit, but it seems to still be binding. It hops and whatnot when the wheel is turned right, loses power, etc.
Quote:
Originally Posted by ensteele View Post
Yes, I would have someone who knows about the car look at it for you so you aren't guessing what may be wrong with it. It may be less of a problem than you think.
Well, I already know that the car is now FWD only. That's plenty of work no matter what it ends up being. I'm not a panicky person, so I don't drop a car at the first sign of trouble. I always upgrade things that break, but the rate this is happening is earlier than i was expecting it to. I thought about this 100 times over in my head.
Old 02-12-2009, 07:59 PM

Registered SVX

I think you already know that this is a personal choice that only you can make, but here is my opinion.
#1-I think the SVX should not be your only car (unless you have multiples). You should have a daily driver, or at least a back up, and the SVX. We all know that the SVX has it's quirks, and it's always a good idea to have 2 cars. Besides, who wants to drive their SVX in the rain or snow? Just my opinion.

#2-If you are strapped for cash, talk to some of the members in your area. Seems like there are plenty of people around here that are helpful, and NJ seems to be an SVX hot spot. Worst case scenario, take it to All We'll Drive and have to pay a few bucks to find out whats wrong. At least they have an intimate understanding of the SVX. Plus, remember the SVX is a used car, and any used car is going to have a problem sooner or later. Just figure how much money you have SAVED not making car payments and having to have full coverage insurance.

#3-A transmission rebuild, especially a level ten, will cost you more than a 5mt swap, probably more than a 6mt swap. When the guy I bought my SVX from had the 4EAT rebuilt it cost him over $3k, and that's with the "friend runs the shop" discount. (that tranny has since crapped, btw) I've got under $1,500 in all my 5mt parts at the moment, and will be surprised if I break $1,500 by the time it's all said and done. The trick there is shopping around and, on Ebay, waiting for the right price.

But it really all comes down to what you want and what you need. If the SVX really is the car for you, then chances are you already know what's up. If you desire something else, don't hang yourself up on it.
Old 02-12-2009, 09:58 PM

Go get a $500 beater that you can go 70 mph on the highway with, safely.
Old 02-12-2009, 10:43 PM

Registered SVX

+1
(car that is)
Old 02-13-2009, 05:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mensaf View Post
Anyone see any different options or have any realistic pricing figures?
Recently that I totaled-up everything I've spent on my teal in 5+ years/some 50,000 miles and came up with roughly $6000. That's tires, oil changes, used OEM CD player, everything. There's a good chunk of labor there as I have a trusted mechanic and personally do little more than belts, hoses and fluids, but this excludes big-ticket stuff; no tranny, head gaskets or the like. The car is a daily driver in very good shape mechanically, and I like to deal with potential issues before they leave me walking. Still it has a minor oil leak, a droopy visor, and needs painting.

Spending thousands of dollars on these cars is not a smart play unless you're committed to driving it for years to come. Lately I've been asking myself if I'll know when the time comes to call it quits.

dcb
Old 02-13-2009, 06:04 AM

Registered SVX

i suspect you know what needs to be done, else why post this thread.