IRC users:

Go Back   The Subaru SVX World Network > SVX Main Forums > General SVX Babble
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12-30-2008, 10:10 AM
Unregistered User

Send a message via MSN to Freeman
Registered SVX
Thinking of window tint? Think twice..

No, it's not some global ban on tint cause I think it's ugly or a group of popular people say it's not cool. If you want to tint your windows, you go ahead and do what you KNOW looks nice on your car!
Just make sure it's legal...

Click here for your states tinting laws! (US Only)

YT just made me more aware that I should be careful regarding tint. Thought I'd pass this along..
1992 Pearl White LS-L "Ruslana" #4946 - 180k on body, 95k on engine.
Mods: ECU bead crush, 15 min mod, 20 min mod, drilled/slotted rotors & Axxis ceramic brakes, SS lines, 17" Evoke F1 wheels, XS-HF137 Sony Xplod speakers, 6000k HID's (lows & fogs), resistor mod, 1½" Sleek Spoiler mod, custom exhaust by svxfiles, '02 WRX aluminum racing radiator by svxfiles, Summit Racing 400# x 300# springs w/ Koni's by svxfiles, ClassGlass fiberglass hood /w scoop, Nevin's rear sway bar, '97 grille, phenolic spacers, custom LED interior lighting, custom paint.
†"War doesn't determine who is right, only who is left"†
Work to be done: Tinted windows, clear/LED tail lights, tailbar mod, "Power Mode" mod, Supertone horns, clear corners & headlight lenses, 2 pc splitters or custom bumper, Alcyone side skirts, TruSpeed Stage III SVX Intake, Hydra, 4.44 tranny swap, JDM auto folding side mirrors, engine rebuild, super charger, STi seats, bone leather interior /w SVX emblem, dash overhaul, SVX decals, paint (stock color). Total cost?: 22k At least it's going down..
Old 12-30-2008, 10:31 AM
Looks and smells great.

Re: Thinking of window tint? Think twice..

Great find and info; thanks! Since I can tint the front windows, tint may be an option for me. I was too used to the stupid CA laws to consider it.
1992 LSL Pearlie: 108k, 15min/$15 mod, Alternator wiring "upgrade," Power Mode switch, K&N drop-in, 4500k 35w low-beam HIDs, 3000k 35w fog HIDs, lots more planned (pending funds, of course)- 4.44 5spd being at the top of the list.
"We laugh at honour and are shocked to find traitors in our midst."
-C.S. Lewis
Old 12-30-2008, 10:48 AM

my civic has all windows tint, except the back and never had any problem, i live in pa. the darkest here is 35% so my windows have 35% tint. its accordin where u live. it also protect the interior of the car. if you are planning to tint like freakin 5% or around there then u are askin for a ticket.
Old 12-30-2008, 10:53 AM

I've heard anecdotal accounts of the Georgia State Patrol actually slashing too-dark or reflective window tinting during traffic stops, but I find that hard to believe as I see so many vehicles around here with virtually opaque glass. I'd think it mighty unnerving to be a cop walking up on a vehicle, unable to see what's going on inside.

dcb
Old 12-30-2008, 10:56 AM
Maniac modifier

Registered SVX Classic SVX

Quote:
Originally Posted by dcarrb View Post
I've heard anecdotal accounts of the Georgia State Patrol actually slashing too-dark or reflective window tinting during traffic stops, but I find that hard to believe as I see so many vehicles around here with virtually opaque glass. I'd think it mighty unnerving to be a cop walking up on a vehicle, unable to see what's going on inside.

dcb
Ding!!

Imagine having to do that in Camden or Newark!!

Tom
Old 12-30-2008, 11:07 AM
Looks and smells great.

Actually, I had a cop tell me it was for safe driver visibility (that was waaaay back in driver's ed), not for police safety.

But yeah, I can't imagine being a cop in Los Angeles and walking up to a limo tinted front window. Of course, an LA cop might just shoot the window out
1992 LSL Pearlie: 108k, 15min/$15 mod, Alternator wiring "upgrade," Power Mode switch, K&N drop-in, 4500k 35w low-beam HIDs, 3000k 35w fog HIDs, lots more planned (pending funds, of course)- 4.44 5spd being at the top of the list.
"We laugh at honour and are shocked to find traitors in our midst."
-C.S. Lewis
Old 12-30-2008, 11:21 AM
Resident Filmmaker

i talked to a few cops before I got mine tinted. I was living in Idaho when I got them done but I knew I'd be moving to CA. Thus, I needed to make sure I fit the law. I got tint done around the entire car just as dark as I wanted it. But in CA you can't have the front windows tinted, so I somewhat skirted the law by tinting the upper portion of the glass, but left the roll-down portion of the front glass only mildly tinted to the point you couldn't even tell it was. Cops haven't hassled me once with it. It's the perfect compromise.

"BMW is the pioneer of character lines?
Whatever. Take a look at my Subaru's windows
and tell me those lines don't have character.
Punk."
Old 12-30-2008, 11:26 AM
Unregistered User

Registered SVX

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gr8Dane View Post
i talked to a few cops before I got mine tinted. I was living in Idaho when I got them done but I knew I'd be moving to CA. Thus, I needed to make sure I fit the law. I got tint done around the entire car just as dark as I wanted it. But in CA you can't have the front windows tinted, so I somewhat skirted the law by tinting the upper portion of the glass, but left the roll-down portion of the front glass only mildly tinted to the point you couldn't even tell it was. Cops haven't hassled me once with it. It's the perfect compromise.
I was about to ask if anyone had done this yet! Thanks for posting the pic.

Now thanks for my uncanny ability to mix words and misinterpret everything I read, the way I read what you did was tint your driver windows with half tint and half not. As I think about it, it's not too bad an idea. That way, when you see a police officer, just roll your windows down half way.. Anybody done this?
Mods: ECU bead crush, 15 min mod, 20 min mod, drilled/slotted rotors & Axxis ceramic brakes, SS lines, 17" Evoke F1 wheels, XS-HF137 Sony Xplod speakers, 6000k HID's (lows & fogs), resistor mod, 1½" Sleek Spoiler mod, custom exhaust by svxfiles, '02 WRX aluminum racing radiator by svxfiles, Summit Racing 400# x 300# springs w/ Koni's by svxfiles, ClassGlass fiberglass hood /w scoop, Nevin's rear sway bar, '97 grille, phenolic spacers, custom LED interior lighting, custom paint.
Work to be done: Tinted windows, clear/LED tail lights, tailbar mod, "Power Mode" mod, Supertone horns, clear corners & headlight lenses, 2 pc splitters or custom bumper, Alcyone side skirts, TruSpeed Stage III SVX Intake, Hydra, 4.44 tranny swap, JDM auto folding side mirrors, engine rebuild, super charger, STi seats, bone leather interior /w SVX emblem, dash overhaul, SVX decals, paint (stock color). Total cost?: 22k At least it's going down..
Old 12-30-2008, 12:12 PM
Subaru Silver Contributor

Registered SVX

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gr8Dane View Post
I had thought about doing this as well, However I was thinking of leaving the lower rear window lighter as well.
Old 12-30-2008, 01:24 PM
Soobologist

Send a message via AIM to subeman90
Registered SVX

you know what I hate about tint...people can't see you flip them off when they do stupid stuff.
Old 12-30-2008, 01:25 PM
Soobologist

Send a message via AIM to subeman90
Registered SVX

Quote:
Originally Posted by TomsSVX View Post
Ding!!

Imagine having to do that in Camden or Newark!!

Tom
tint or not those places make me cringe on a sunny day
Old 12-30-2008, 01:28 PM
Unregistered User

Registered SVX

Quote:
Originally Posted by subeman90 View Post
tint or not those places make me cringe on a sunny day
Shame I don't know where that is.. No wonder I'm anxious to be a cop. I don't know any better.. lol
Old 12-30-2008, 01:47 PM
Jersey Girl
Alcyone Gold Contributor

Send a message via Skype™ to svxistentialist
Registered SVX

Thanks for the link Freeman. Very interesting.

In the case of very dark tints I have a strong dislike of them. Part of this dislike is the fact that enclosing the occupants from view is supremely low rent, ghetto mentality as I see it. About as attractive as 22" chrome spinners, says more about you than you really ought to be saying.

On the safety side if the tint is dark enough the driver will have a poor view of the surroundings at night or on dark days. This can't be a good thing. The cops are correct to be pulling for this.

If a car pulling out at a junction has so dark a tint that I can't see the driver's face, at no time will I let that car out as a courtesy. If my traffic lane stops I will even roll up and stop in front of that car. If they are stupid enough to drive a vehicle where on-coming traffic can't determine if the driver is looking in their direction, they deserve to be left just where they are.

White X2 RVR Mitsubishi 1800GDI. Vantastic

40,000 miles Jersey Girl
Old 12-30-2008, 02:08 PM
Unregistered User

Registered SVX

Quote:
Originally Posted by svxistentialist View Post
Thanks for the link Freeman. Very interesting.

In the case of very dark tints I have a strong dislike of them. Part of this dislike is the fact that enclosing the occupants from view is supremely low rent, ghetto mentality as I see it. About as attractive as 22" chrome spinners, says more about you than you really ought to be saying.

On the safety side if the tint is dark enough the driver will have a poor view of the surroundings at night or on dark days. This can't be a good thing. The cops are correct to be pulling for this.

If a car pulling out at a junction has so dark a tint that I can't see the driver's face, at no time will I let that car out as a courtesy. If my traffic lane stops I will even roll up and stop in front of that car. If they are stupid enough to drive a vehicle where on-coming traffic can't determine if the driver is looking in their direction, they deserve to be left just where they are.

I like that last bit. You're starting to make me re-think my want for tinted windows. Of course it would be at the legal limit of 35% to 30% but I still want to think on this before I act and get tint.

It not only is against the law to get dark tint, but effects the way other drivers react twords your vehicle and you.. Good to know.
Old 12-30-2008, 02:28 PM
Jersey Girl
Alcyone Gold Contributor

Send a message via Skype™ to svxistentialist
Registered SVX

The Japanese have a strange approach to tinting. They only allow very light tints on the front windows, the ones the driver uses to see around, and that make sense.

At the same time they seem to like very dark tints on the back windows. My everyday car has this, click on my Vantastic link.

I didn't think I'd like it when I bought it, but I have come around. It keeps the rear cool, and "hides" luggage or equipment from easy view. Also as the rear screen glass is tinted, it cuts down a lot of glare at night from cars behind. Yes, I like it a lot.

It's not film, though, it is actually darkened glass. The Japanese call it "privacy" glass I think.

Joe
White X2 RVR Mitsubishi 1800GDI. Vantastic

40,000 miles Jersey Girl