How-To Documents
Message Archive
SVX Shop Search
IRC users:

Go Back   The Subaru SVX World Network > SVX Main Forums > Technical Q & A

Old 11-11-2008, 05:39 PM
Headed to Texas...

Accessing the lighter socket/housing

I am in the process of replacing my OEM stereo with a 2003 Outback 6-disc unit. While I have the stereo assy. out, I was going to replace the lighter socket and housing.
This is not as straightforward as I was thinking it would be - it appears the socket housing is attached by screw from below. So does this mean the center console must be removed to get to it?
I did not find a guide for this in the how-to locker.
Anyone have some words of experience here before I take things apart that may not require taking apart?

jnj7707@yahoo.com
Old 11-11-2008, 06:39 PM
Old Fogey

Registered SVX
Re: Accessing the lighter socket/housing

I was just looking at that same area today, and yes, the center console has to come out to access the bottom of 2 screws that secure it. What a pita. Actually looks like you could replace the socket without, if you were a contortionist with small hands. You'll need a right-angle ratcheting screwdriver at a minimum even with the center console out, as it's actually shown as part of the instrument panel.

Glenn

1993 25th Anniversary Edition #63 of 301. R.I.P. Rojo 7/24/2008 She saved my life!
1997 Ebony Mica Pearl LSI. BLACKBERRY
1998 5-Spd Legacy GT Wagon in Glacier White: NUBURU
2005 Cadillac STS in Sandstorm Metallic: STORMY

Veteran and farthest traveler of 1st SoCal2MuseumsMeet2010.

http://www.subaru-svx.net/photos/user.php?RojoRocket

Last edited by RojoRocket; 11-11-2008 at 06:44 PM.
Old 11-11-2008, 06:43 PM
Rebuilding

Registered SVX

As far as I remember the lighter housing pulls out =D. I have had mine out a couple of times. I assume that is what you are talking about.

1994 SVX LS - 5spd AWD Emerald Green 202k miles PWR Radiator, HID 5000k, New paint job with issues, 17" STI BBS wheels, converted to 5spd AWD from FWD. Purchased from SVXyGirl 2/20/09 -- Undergoing complete rebuild
1993 Justy 4wd 5door- Teal of sorts , beater.
2008 OBXT Newport Pearl 65k miles
Old 11-11-2008, 06:54 PM
Headed to Texas...

I was just looking at that same area today, and yes, the center console has to come out to access the bottom of 2 screws that secure it. What a pita. Actually looks like you could replace the socket without, if you were a contortionist with small hands. You'll need a right-angle ratcheting screwdriver at a minimum even with the center console out, as it's actually shown as part of the instrument panel.

Glenn

or

As far as I remember the lighter housing pulls out =D. I have had mine out a couple of times. I assume that is what you are talking about.

Hmmmmmmm.........

Well, I certainly thought or should I say hoped that the housing would just snap out (upwards) with the electrical socket assembly attached. But yeah upon looking at the thing with the stereo head unit/cage removed, it appears to be attached from below with screws. Seems like a funky way to attach the thing. Wikkedjuggalo, there are two posts that go down from the housing, do those not contain screws?

jnj7707@yahoo.com
Old 11-11-2008, 06:56 PM
Old Fogey

Registered SVX

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wikedjuggalo View Post
I just rechecked the lighter panel that came out of my '93, and it's secured by 2 screws as I previously stated.

Glenn

1993 25th Anniversary Edition #63 of 301. R.I.P. Rojo 7/24/2008 She saved my life!

Old 11-11-2008, 07:08 PM
Have a poncho I can borrow?

Hope you got the 03 Lego radio that doesn't require any changes to the cover. I think the one from a 03 GT (not the Macicrap) looks about as perfect as a non stock radio can look in mine. Fit like a glove. Only wish it had a mp3 input.
Old 11-11-2008, 07:15 PM
Headed to Texas...

Quote:
Originally Posted by benebob View Post
Hope you got the 03 Lego radio that doesn't require any changes to the cover. I think the one from a 03 GT (not the Macicrap) looks about as perfect as a non stock radio can look in mine. Fit like a glove. Only wish it had a mp3 input.
Yes that's the one. No grinding required for the cover and I think it looks like it was made for the SVX.

jnj7707@yahoo.com
Old 11-11-2008, 07:34 PM
Rebuilding

Registered SVX

Are you trying to remove the plastic or the actual metal ? Correct me so I can let ya know. I've torn that part of the car apart many times =D had a few stereo's in there.

No those "post" do not I can freely take mine in and out because one of the broke =D.
On my car at least let me say that.
Thats it I'm going out to the car

Alright sorry about the confusion. Mine is broke =D I just checked and there is a screw there but that seems pretty stupid. The part broke off I guess and basically clips on the screw.

Yes I am wrong there are screws in yours.

1994 SVX LS - 5spd AWD Emerald Green 202k miles PWR Radiator, HID 5000k, New paint job with issues, 17" STI BBS wheels, converted to 5spd AWD from FWD. Purchased from SVXyGirl 2/20/09 -- Undergoing complete rebuild
1993 Justy 4wd 5door- Teal of sorts , beater.
2008 OBXT Newport Pearl 65k miles

Last edited by Wikedjuggalo; 11-11-2008 at 07:43 PM.
Old 11-12-2008, 04:21 AM
Headed to Texas...

Yes I'm taking off the plastic and the actual metal

OK thanks for confirming my worst fears on the screws. Now I get to discover all the joys of taking my console apart.

jnj7707@yahoo.com
Old 11-12-2008, 07:37 AM
Old Fogey

Registered SVX

Quote:
Originally Posted by svxxx26 View Post
Yes I'm taking off the plastic and the actual metal

OK thanks for confirming my worst fears on the screws. Now I get to discover all the joys of taking my console apart.
It's not really that tough Jerry. Key is the 3 mounting screws under the felt in the console box, and 2 screws on each side. Pop loose the side covers in front and the A/T cover too (pops out) as well as the tray in front of the parking brake, allowing it to slip over the handle. . There is a male/female "fit" at the front of the console too, so lift up while pulling it slightly backwards.

Your choice of CD changers sounds good! How about a pic when you're done with the install? I just ordered a Pioneer DEHP5000UB yesterday after receiving a non-working Sti changer from an NASIOC scammer .

Glenn

Old 11-12-2008, 10:41 AM
Headed to Texas...

Hey Glenn thanks for the heads up on the console, that's just the info I was looking for. It helps to have an idea of what to look for from someone that has been there before.
I'll post a pic of it when it's installed

Tough luck on the non-working Sti changer - hope you didn't lose too much on it

jnj7707@yahoo.com
Old 05-11-2009, 05:17 PM
Headed to Texas...

Gee has it been 6 months since the last post here?
WOOHOO I finally bit the bullet and finished the stereo install. Legacy/Outback stereo 6-disk changer. What a nice unit, and again it looks like it was designed for it. BUT dang what a tight fit! No modifications necessary for the door, the knob clears.
One thing on my install that divurged from svxdc's EXCELLENT INSTRUCTIONS was the need for the 24" antenna cable extension. After installing with the extension, no radio reception (must have been a bad cable). Anyway, while sitting in the car staring at it for awhile, it dawned on me that the original antenna cable would work with inches to spare. So not sure on the rationale although no doubt there is in some cases.
The unit works perfectly with the power antenna, lowering it when playing CDs and raising for radio. I'm always amazed when something works!
As for the cigarette lighter socket replacement, and related console disassembly, that's going to have to wait for next time.
I can't leave this without putting in a plug for svxdc's wiring harnesses. They make this install possible for someone of my limited electrical knowledge. The same goes for his install write-up. Priceless.

jnj7707@yahoo.com