Live Chat!
SVX or Subaru Links
Old Lockers
Photo Post
How-To Documents
Message Archive
SVX Shop Search
IRC users:

Go Back   The Subaru SVX World Network > SVX Main Forums > MOD Mania > Proven Engine Enhancements

Old 06-08-2008, 07:55 PM
XT6 is SVX's Daddy

Send a message via ICQ to Myxalplyx Send a message via AIM to Myxalplyx Send a message via Yahoo to Myxalplyx
Quote:
Originally Posted by svxfreq View Post
Both intakes are not going to have the exact same resistance and the maf may be reading even less than half of the air because the side with the maf would more than likely have more resistance.
I thought of this too. A 'dummy' maf could be installed on the side that may possibly have less resistance. This way, both sides would have similar resistance, with only one being actually read from by the ECU. I was told that the maf itself is little to no resistance to airflow so I didn't include it but for those that think it has some resistance, another one could be put on the other intake tube.
1996 3.3ltr SVX (AWD/Auto) 15.070@91.38mph
***R.I.P***
2010 RAV4 AWD Sport (13.717 @ 99.19mph )
2015 Honda Fit LX CVT (15.2 @ 90mph)
Old 06-08-2008, 08:53 PM

Registered SVX
It might (And a very big might.) be possible to use a substitute regulated 10 volts with the two sensors in series, provided, there are no common connections involved. The 10 volts supply would not represent a problem.

However, I reckon that even thinking about it is a waste of time, considering the chance of any real performance gain. Whatever, this write up may help the thinking:-

Mass Airflow Sensor.

MAF measurement is achieved by heating with a constant electric current, an element comprised of wire/gauze/grid whatever, suspended in the intake air stream of the engine. The electrical resistance of the wire/gauze/grid, element, increases with the temperature, which limits electrical current flowing through a circuit of which it is part. When air flows past the wire, the wire cools thus decreasing its resistance, which in turn allows more current to flow through the circuit. As more current flows, the wire’s temperature increases until the resistance again reaches an equilibrium.

N.B. The amount of CURRENT required to maintain the wire’s electrical resistance at an equilibrium, is directly proportional to the mass of air flowing past the wire.

If air density increases due to an atmospheric pressure or temperature change, but the moving air volume remains constant, the denser air will conduct more heat from the wire, so that as a result, higher mass airflow will be indicated thus offsetting what could otherwise constitute an error.

When installed in the SVX..

It will be seen that a heater is involved which requires constant voltage at battery level, applied when the ignition switched is turned on. There should be 10 - 13 volts between MAF terminal 1 and 3 or ground. With the engine running, the voltage should increase to 13 -14 volts.

With the engine running at idle there should be 0.8 - 1.2 volts between terminal 4 and 3 or ground, this being the signal voltage.

As a child, on cold mornings I gladly stood in cowpats to warm my bare feet, but I detest bull$hit!
Old 06-24-2008, 12:43 PM
Pretend Innovator

Registered SVX
Re: Cold Air Intake

Go look at nissan Z32 (Z32 is 90-96 Nissan 300ZX) guys to see how they do it. They use two MAFs and an AFC to get the true air measured and a valid signal sent to the ECU. This is the technique that they use to avoid remapping their ECU. Call Apex'i and Jim Wolf Technologies about double intake systems on single maf vehicles. The benefit without remapping will probably be negligable (on the Z32 it's only about 10rwhp until you remap and have numbers above 375rwhp) but that doesn't make it pointless.