Live Chat!
SVX or Subaru Links
Old Lockers
Photo Post
How-To Documents
Message Archive
SVX Shop Search
IRC users:

Go Back   The Subaru SVX World Network > SVX Main Forums > MOD Mania > Transmission and Drivetrain

Old 02-18-2007, 05:59 PM

My Svx FWD to AWD Manual swap progress

I got a couple of days worth of work into the car over the past 2 weekends. The fabrication of the pedal assmbly was probably the most tricky thing i have come accross yet. When something looks right, it usually isnt, and constant removal of the pedal assmbly, and constanly putting it back in to lengthen extend, etc. But today i finally got it all squeezed in there. I got both my bolt to go thru the firewall in their own mounting points. From what i could see in TomSVX pics, is was high, and from what i can see only 1 bolt is actually going thru the firewall, I may be wrong but again im just going off pics that i have seen in the turtorial. I ended up shorning the Brake master cylnder bolt by about 8 threads so that it would clear the pedal assymbly so the pin would go thru the hole. The Clutch master cylnder was way short of the clutch pedal point so i had to lengthen the push rod about 1 1/2 in so it would meet up with the pedal assmbly. All in all i got them all in there. And best of all its functional and it works. Lots of fabrication had to be done to the 2004 wrx pedal assym frame itself. Way to short in stock for to even fit. What i did was use both the original frame and the wrx to lengthen the part where it bolts to the firewall to the master cylnder about 1 1/2'' . The 2 bolts that go thru the firewall to the clutch master cylnder was lengthened a good bit. Over 2'' i believe it was.

Im posting some pics to all those who may be interested below of the progress so far. I should be done i hope by next weekend. Just gotta put the tranny in, install custon tranny x member, drive shaft, and swap svx rear ends. I think i can accomplish that in a weekend :-)

Last edited by noitseuq; 02-18-2007 at 06:04 PM.
Old 02-18-2007, 06:00 PM

Old 02-18-2007, 06:01 PM

now I Have 3 Pedals To Brag About!!!!
Old 02-18-2007, 06:37 PM
Official AutoX Part Breaker
Subaru Gold Contributor

Registered SVX
You might want to check the thread TOMSSVX did when he did the MT mod to MikeCG's car -- he also had to do the FWD - AWD swap.
-Bill

Most famous NASA "Child" - OSIRIS-REx delivered samples from asteroid BENNU to Earth in Sept. 2023

Center Network Member #989

'92 Fully caged, 5 speed, waiting for its fully built EG33
'92 "Test Mule", 4:44 Auto, JDM 4:44 Rear Diff with Mech LSD, Tuned headers, Full one-off suspension
'92(?) Laguna, 6 spd and other stuff (still at OT's place)
My Locker
Old 02-18-2007, 08:05 PM

hi
Tom is doing my swap this week and he should be done by next week too,so maybe we could get together and chech ours rides?
good luck with your work.

My Locker

Bart
Old 02-18-2007, 08:56 PM
Maniac modifier

Registered SVX Classic SVX
looks like you are making good progress. I have decided to remove the steering colums from now on as well. When it comes to changing over the rear subframes, it is anything but difficult. Just take a look and the swap is very straight foward

Tom
Old 02-21-2007, 08:10 PM
Missing in action

Send a message via AIM to It's Just Eric
Registered SVX
Hmmm...an 80k mile 5 speed laguna blue svx...not too shabby. Great to see you take on such a project (And fast at that) Good luck!
You're gone but not forgotten. I mean, sure, I kindof don't remember some of the finer details..but I remember you were funny, and at one point you said spaghetti in Dutch....but definantly not forgotten

Old 02-25-2007, 08:53 AM

HELP on Clutch fork install w springs!

I jsut cant seem to figure it out.. i dont have a manual and im going off of what i can find on the internet which is next to nothing. I cant get the damn springs to fit on, well i think. And i dont see any holes on the fork for the thing to clip on ... someone please help... There are more pics below to show the clips that i have... ARe they the right ones!???

Old 02-25-2007, 10:19 AM
Maniac modifier

you don't use those clips for a pull style transmission, they are for a push style... There are no clips for your trans... just take em back and install the clutch

Tom
Old 02-25-2007, 12:36 PM

arrrrrrrrrgghhh!!

Wow i cant believe i wasted pretty much a day on somethign so stupid... Well at least i learned something... i mean i have never messed with a subaru or any pull style trannies.... But now it know.... And i wish this stupid snow would go away so i could be more productive working on my car!.... well i know ill have it done this week cause i have a few days off of work to mess with it...

ill keep ya all posted on my progress..
Old 02-25-2007, 08:37 PM
Maniac modifier

it happens to the best of us good luck and keep at it

Tom
Old 02-25-2007, 09:12 PM

clips

anyone need these 3 clips??? you pay shipping and there yours!
Old 02-26-2007, 06:09 PM

YEA... good progress..

Got the tranny in today... took about 45 min to figure out how to put it in... and then another 30 mins to work it in. I jacked the engine up in the front... eh on the oil filter.. .so im going to need another one of those.... looked like the safest place to do it... so i could tilt the rear of the engine down, just to make it easier to place the tranny in.. took 2 people... i got really really wet greazy and filty from all the melted snow and whever got washed up under the car. I started a lilttle on the trans x member, but ... got hungry and called it quits...

After it was all in... wow.. i only got maybe 2 or less inches before the starter power bolt hits the clutch master cylnder... its just enuff room to make it work.... =)

i think ill have it mostly done by the weekend....